Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 11:56 AM

24,114 posts, read 32,468,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Mattie makes a valid point, my teen daughter and I routinely talk about cases where teen girls have a baby, and throw it in the trash. My daughter does not understand why those girls did not go to their Moms for help. She can't even wrap her head around it.

Some girls feel like they can't go to their parents for help, if they get pregnant. That says more about the "parenting" skills, than anything else. Pretty lame. Parents are there to help. Teens don't always make the best decisions. Heck, I am an adult, and don't always make the best choices. But, they should know that no matter what, they can go to their parents and get support and guidance.

Parents, don't ignore "teen sex", and just have an attitude that it won't happen. Don't go all "church lady", and say "My kids will say "No". That is Bristol Palin's message...a year or so after the fact!
The best thing is to talk about it.

Not all kids can and will say "no" at the right time. And the way Bristol Palin was raised, in a Fundamentalist Christian household, there was most likely no discussion of the issue, other than "what the Bible says" and perhaps a chastity ring - a popular gift in these circles.

It's just silly to sentimentalize your children by bequeathing a symbolic object or quoting ancient scripture. Reality and biology have a way of intervening on sentimentality and wishful thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 11:59 AM

606 posts, read 1,606,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Don't parents of girls want them to grow up to have a full life, including a healthy sex life?
Yes. But I personally still think perhaps around 20-22 might be an okay age for girls to become sexually active. Because by then they will be old enough to have picked a direction in life and have established their goals and how to reach them. Under that age, they are still kids and will just be taken advantage of by boys that consider themselves "Players", and I personally would not want this for my daughter.

That is just my opinion, I am fine with it if you choose to disagree.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:34 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Waiboi View Post
Yes. But I personally still think perhaps around 20-22 might be an okay age for girls to become sexually active. Because by then they will be old enough to have picked a direction in life and have established their goals and how to reach them. Under that age, they are still kids and will just be taken advantage of by boys that consider themselves "Players", and I personally would not want this for my daughter.

That is just my opinion, I am fine with it if you choose to disagree.
A 20-22 year old female is a woman, not a girl. Generally, I agree with the philosophy that very early sexual activity is not good for males or females. I don't think that the characterization of young men as sex maniacs is healthy for young men, or women.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:39 PM

606 posts, read 944,074 times
Quote:
I can maybe understand not wanting them to get involved earlier, and I certainly don't have a problem with people waiting, but I can't see what my parents could have done that would've affected my decisions past the point when I left their house.

I moved away from home unusually young for school and was financially independent from my parents early on, so maybe my situation was a little odd. I'd say my apron strings were pretty much cut by the time I was 16 or 17. But I would think that there's not a whole lot parents can do to affect the decisions of pretty much any adult child, unless that adult child is extremely docile or weak-willed.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:52 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,628,898 times
It's not a big deal. The average age of that people lose their virginity is around 16. Our modern culture shuns sex among people under a certain age. Sex is a personal decision to be made among two people. As much as some parents think they have control over everything their kids do as teens, they just don't. Educate your kids, let them know your views of the topic, and then realized that they'll ultimately end up doing what they want.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:10 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
I find it interesting you think women past 22 can't be taken advantage of by players. There isn't a cut off age for that.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:27 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,952,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
I felt like I missed out on sex as a teenager. Everybody was doing it but me. I lost mine when I was 18. If I could turn back the hands of time...I wish I would have lost it sooner. There's just something very defiant and thrilling about having sex as a teen.
I can assure you from first-hand experience that there is nothing defiant and thrilling about motherhood at 17.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:05 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,952,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
13 - Everything in your power to stop
16 - really really try to prevent it, but
18 - stop kidding yourself
Quote:
This ^^ is the scale I would use for my son, NOT my daughter! The one for my daughter woud look like this:

13 - Everything in your power to stop
14 - Everything in your power to stop
15 - Everything in your power to stop
16 - Everything in your power to stop
17 - Everything in your power to stop
18 - Everything in your power to stop

Okay, you can proceed to begin calling me a sexist now
Tell me, please, whose daughters will your sons be having sex with when they are between the ages of 16 and 18?

I'm not saying you're sexist. I'm saying you are not teaching your sons to respect women the way you expect other young men to respect your daughters. If other people are instructing their offspring in the same way, there will be young men seeking to bed your daughters.

No, I don't believe that young adults should have indiscriminate sex. I don't believe that gender should determine the age at which sex is appropriate.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:17 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,882,662 times
If you allow your child to date, then I think you should at the very least, not be surprised, if they were having sex.

I support teenage relationships. I was allowed to date at 15.

I don't see a way to prevent teenage relationships from occuring to begin with, because alot of teens will do it behind their parents back.

Although I do agree that teens should wait, as I posted earlier, I don't think it's the parents decision as to when their child has sex.
My advice to a teen is this : I strongly suggest you wait, but if you do, make sure you use protection, make sure you've been dating this person for more than a year, if not atleast 9 months.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:19 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
No, I don't believe that young adults should have indiscriminate sex. I don't believe that gender should determine the age at which sex is appropriate.
I don't think anyone should have indiscriminate sex. However, having sex with a significant other does not translate to indiscriminate sex. I agree that early sex is not god for kids regardless of their gender.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting