Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2012, 07:19 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,365,239 times

Advertisements

Good news: Thirty seconds of Googling and I discovered there are numerous places on line that rent TI-84 calculators. VERY reasonable monthly fee and shipping as low as $2.95.

Ooohh... many places also give school discounts. Cool.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:23 PM

13,708 posts, read 10,094,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
You do realize that using sarcasm here doesn't mean I use it with her, right?
Uh, no I don't realize that. You do realize that you probably do. Use that mocking tone. That you use a lot. Whether you realize it or not.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:30 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,316,770 times
Quote:
Given I don't know anyone to borrow one from, I'd be buying. Dd#1 could live without the calculator for 4 hours. It's, hardly, the end of the world. She has 7 finals this week. Studying for one requires A calculator.

This is dd being manipulative. Trying to get her way even when there's no reason for her to get her way. She could study for any of her other six finals during the four hours dd#2 was taking the test. Or sleep like she normally does during that time.

I will note that she has yet to pick up the calculator to study for that final. Her studying for her finals was never the issue here. That was just her excuse for not helping her sister. I've lived with her long enough to know that and I see no need to validate it.
My high school had enough for each of us to use one chem class. Seems to me you could have borrowed one from the school if you really wanted to. I mean, I know you didn't really want to, but don't make up excuses.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:32 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,688,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Good news: Thirty seconds of Googling and I discovered there are numerous places on line that rent TI-84 calculators. VERY reasonable monthly fee and shipping as low as $2.95.

Ooohh... many places also give school discounts. Cool.
That's fine and dandy except we had less than 2 days notice that dd was taking the ACT

Seriously, do you see having dd share something that isn't even hers, for four hours, with her sister as that much of a problem? It shouldn't be. That it is is telling of dd's issues. It's not even her calculator and she can use the online version while her sister is taking the test.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
My high school had enough for each of us to use one chem class. Seems to me you could have borrowed one from the school if you really wanted to. I mean, I know you didn't really want to, but don't make up excuses.
I don't have TI-84's in my classroom. I have dollar store Casio's. Dd needed a graphing calculator to take the ACT. Borrowing one from a math teacher wouldn't work because they're school bus yellow and schools don't let kids walk out with them. Dd, likely would have had it confiscated on the way out and then I'd have to explain how a graphing calculator belonging to my school ended up at her school and figure out how to get it back. There is no issue with her walking out with my black one and there is NO REASON I needed to borrow one for dd#1 to use while dd#2 used mine. We're talking four hours here people. Put this in perspective. If there were reason to borrow a calculator from my school, I would have but there wasn't so I didn't. Why do you think I need to make up excuses to borrow school property for dd#1 to use when her classmates don't get the same?

Seriously, it is NOT a big deal for dd#1 to let dd#2 use MY calculator for 4 hours. I have no idea why some of you are making a mountain out of a mole hill on this one. It's four hours. Four hours that dd#1 is usually sleeping and was. Why do you think it's such an issue for her to let her sister use the calculator? Talk about pandering to her.

Last time I looked teaching kids to share was a good thing....

Old 06-10-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Yeah, what's with this? The kids borrow calculators from the school but you can't? Um, okay...
To my knowledge, my school does not loan out calculators to students with the exception of taking the ACT. Dd#1 was not taking the ACT. Her sister was. There was no justification for dd#1 to borrow a calculator. If there was, she could have borrowed one herself. Just because I'm a teacher doesn't mean I have the right to take school property home without good reason. My daughter not wanting to let her sister borrow my calculator for four hours is NOT good reason. There was nothing stopping dd#1 from studying. If she really needed the calculator, she could have used the online version on my computer. You are suggesting that I shoul

Old 06-10-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
I don't have TI-84's in my classroom. I have dollar store Casio's. Dd needed a graphing calculator to take the ACT. Borrowing one from a math teacher wouldn't work because they're school bus yellow and schools don't let kids walk out with them. Dd, likely would have had it confiscated on the way out and then I'd have to explain how a graphing calculator belonging to my school ended up at her school.

Seriously, it is NOT a big deal for dd#1 to let dd#2 use MY calculator for 4 hours. I have no idea why some of you are making a mountain out of a mole hill on this one. It's four hours. Four hours that dd#1 is usually sleeping and was. Why do you think it's such an issue for her to let her sister use the calculator?
I agree with you that it shouldn't have been an issue. But I do wonder what would have happened if you had provided a school calculator to DD#1 to use at home to study. With no excuse, maybe she actually would have.

In any case, the calculator is not the issue. You have much bigger issues, for which you have received a lot of good advice. Instead of being appreciative, or even politely disagreeing, you called it "crap."

Old 06-10-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
To my knowledge, my school does not loan out calculators to students with the exception of taking the ACT. Dd#1 was not taking the ACT. Her sister was. There was no justification for dd#1 to borrow a calculator. If there was, she could have borrowed one herself. Just because I'm a teacher doesn't mean I have the right to take school property home without good reason.
give me a break. people do it all the time.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:46 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,935,554 times
Quote:
To my knowledge, my school does not loan out calculators to students with the exception of taking the ACT. Dd#1 was not taking the ACT. Her sister was. There was no justification for dd#1 to borrow a calculator. If there was, she could have borrowed one herself. Just because I'm a teacher doesn't mean I have the right to take school property home without good reason. My daughter not wanting to let her sister borrow my calculator for four hours is NOT good reason. There was nothing stopping dd#1 from studying. If she really needed the calculator, she could have used the online version on my computer. You are suggesting that I shoul
I was going off what you said in post #15, that most students don't have calculators and have to borrow them for the school. I don't see what the big deal is...

Old 06-10-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
give me a break. people do it all the time.
Two wrongs don't make a right. I don't care what people do all the time. It's irrelevent. There was no reason to borrow a calculator from my school to laon to dd#2 who doesn't even attend my school. I, highly, doubt teachers are borrowing equipment to loan to their chlidren who don't even attend the district "all the time".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting