Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 04:15 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,511,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Feel what way? What other occasions?
The topic is alcohol at a child's birthday party.
Feel that alcohol should not be at children's parties. Other occasions would be weddings, bar mitzvahs, going away parties, bbq's, picnics etc.

I know what the topic of the thread is. I am asking why do you feel children's parties, with adults in attendance, is different from other gatherings.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Adult parties with alcohol are fine. I don't see a need to have it at a kid's birthday party.

I am not anti-alcohol, but I don't think that 2 or 2.5 hours without a drink is such a horrible thing either and anyone who cannot get along without a drink for that amount of time seems odd to me.
There is never a need to have alcohol at a party or event. Heck, there is never a need to even have a party or event.

No one said they could not get through a 2 or 2½ hour event without a drink. We are simply discussing the presence of alcohol at said event, not how badly someone needs a fix.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Not sneering, just not understanding how you *have* to have alcohol at a kid's party.
Why do you *have* to have alcohol at any gathering?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
How do all these people drink everywhere without driving home after drinking? Do you let people just sleep over or do they call cabs or walk? I always wonder how the parents can hop in and drive with their kids after drinking. How do you work that out? I don't drink so I always wondered. I don't see many designated drivers, usually they just drive home buzzed with their kids, is that normal for drinkers?

Almost every kid party we go to has drinking adults. Some get carried away, most just get a comfortable buzz going. I don't usually have those kinds of kids parties, lol, not many parents stay at my parties, no alcohol.

Usually we have either a DD (designated drivers) or we control our drinking so we are not drunk - one beer per hour with a water in between.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:25 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,439,409 times
To the OP:

It depends on what kind of friends and family you have.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:18 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,163,674 times
Quote:
How do all these people drink everywhere without driving home after drinking? Do you let people just sleep over or do they call cabs or walk? I always wonder how the parents can hop in and drive with their kids after drinking. How do you work that out? I don't drink so I always wondered. I don't see many designated drivers, usually they just drive home buzzed with their kids, is that normal for drinkers?

Almost every kid party we go to has drinking adults. Some get carried away, most just get a comfortable buzz going. I don't usually have those kinds of kids parties, lol, not many parents stay at my parties, no alcohol.
It is not illegal to consume alcohol and drive. It is illegal to drive while impaired. Many people can have a few drinks with food over a period of several hours and not be impaired. I can have a drink at a party and still drive my child home.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:42 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,913,698 times
Adults always drank at my and other kids' parties. Seriously asking my family not to drink would have been a major sin back then lol. The only one who would get really out of hand was an uncle back in his drinking days, but he wouldn't have had any interest going to kiddie parties. Of course holidays were a different story. All the adults got loaded.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:18 AM

869 posts, read 1,503,398 times
Quote:

I am very well versed in alcohol and how your body metabolizes it. All my classes in school and what not. Anywhooo I know that it takes an average of 2 hrs per drink for my body to completely metabolize the drink. By 1 hr, my body has metabolized most of the alcohol that may impair me. If I go to dinner, and have a glass of wine, I drink it will appetizers and the beginning of my entree. By the end it has been half metabolized and I feel comfortable drinking. If I am at a party where I assume we are leaving at 8 pm, if we have drinks with bbq at 4 or 5, I have 2 drinks then stop so I can ascertain that I am no longer impaired, if I ever was. If we are staying late, till say midnight I drink no later than 9. If I decide to drink a lot of thought goes into it.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:51 AM

22,937 posts, read 48,369,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post

I know what the topic of the thread is. I am asking why do you feel children's parties, with adults in attendance, is different from other gatherings.
A CHILD'S BIRTHDAY party IS different from weddings, etc. Fact... not just my feelings!

Old 04-27-2012, 09:13 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,500,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
A CHILD'S BIRTHDAY party IS different from weddings, etc. Fact... not just my feelings!
Agree...but as long as the adults aren't becoming impaired, how having a beer or glass of wine any different than soda or water. It's a legal beverage for adults. At a birthday party, why would kids even be concerned about what the adults were drinking?

Old 04-27-2012, 09:16 AM

25,899 posts, read 42,939,954 times
For a get-together with family and good friends, I don't see anything wrong with it. For a child's birthday party where a bunch of parents I don't know will be there, I'd skip the alcohol. I'd feel obligated to watch everybody, and I'd rather focus on the party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting