Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 03:29 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,270,747 times

Advertisements

I went to one last week.

1 year old BD party. Other sibling is 3. They invited family/friends and their kids.

So they had cousins, our kids, their friends kids, etc.

Rented a bounce house, have a playground, etc.

Served dinner.

They had a variety of beer & wine available.

I think I had two beers ...... the first while talking with the other guys around the grill, the second when we were seeing if the kids would sleep there or not (our little guy wasn't going for it so we ended up going home) ....... however, some had their kids down for a nap and the adults were sitting outside talking and having a couple drinks with our friends and their parents

I spent most of the party playing with my kids though or getting roped into one game or another.

My wife was able to have a couple as well as she was talking with the adults when I was watching the kids.

Not a big deal at all.

Just because there are drinks doesn't mean everyone is falling over sloppy drunk, breaking things, neglecting kids, yelling, swearing and acting like idiots.

None of the kids were old enough to have any desire to drink - from my personal POV as long as the kid was out of HS and was comfortable having a drink with their parents, I'd be fine having a drink or two with them ....... however, it would be the end of their night and it would be limited ....... basically a "you can have a couple drinks and hang out, but you're done for the evening ....... you don't leave the property until tommorrow" - this would probably shift if it were my kids at a friends house though ...... at that point if you aren't legal you aren't legal as I wouldn't shift any potential liability to my friends

Old 04-23-2012, 03:42 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,965,408 times
We had a Bar Mitzvah at our house yesterday (last one). 50 kids, 40 adults, with a handful of the adults under 21. We had a bar and a bartender. The kids didn't drink. The adults did. I guess I don't see what the problem is?

Old 04-23-2012, 03:56 PM

13,981 posts, read 26,026,011 times
Congratulations to the youngest Bear.

Didn't have alcohol available at most birthday parties, as they were held outside the home, during the day. Anything held at home, including birthdays, christenings, First Communions, graduations, etc, yes.
Sometimes people did have a bit too much, and we put them up for the night. It didn't happen often.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:58 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,965,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Congratulations to the youngest Bear.

Didn't have alcohol available at most birthday parties, as they were held outside the home, during the day. Anything held at home, including birthdays, christenings, First Communions, graduations, etc, yes.
Sometimes people did have a bit too much, and we put them up for the night. It didn't happen often.
Thanks. He did great!

Old 04-23-2012, 04:52 PM

32 posts, read 62,239 times
When my youngest was 5, he was invited to a bowling birthday party for one of his friends. The friend's extended family (grandma, aunts, uncles, etc.) showed up and proceeded to start ordering pitchers of beer and getting a little too tipsy for a group of kindergarten aged kids to be around.

I have honestly never seen adults come to a kids party and ruin it like that before. Needless to say, we made a hasty departure as I didn't feel it was appropriate.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:29 PM

88,869 posts, read 85,323,488 times
Well, the one year when my daughter had her birthday party at a bowling alley I tossed a little rum into all the kid's cokes. Just for the fun of watching them stagger on the lanes trying to throw the ball. It was a hoot.

Yes, of course I just made that up. But can you imagine?

Old 04-23-2012, 07:31 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,428,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Why would you have booze at a kids party?
So the parents can make it through without slitting their wrists.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:31 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,351,930 times
If the party is in the evening/after 5, yes, I offer adults beer/wine. I don't serve anyone under 21.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:43 AM

2,146 posts, read 3,074,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinV View Post
When my youngest was 5, he was invited to a bowling birthday party for one of his friends. The friend's extended family (grandma, aunts, uncles, etc.) showed up and proceeded to start ordering pitchers of beer and getting a little too tipsy for a group of kindergarten aged kids to be around.

I have honestly never seen adults come to a kids party and ruin it like that before. Needless to say, we made a hasty departure as I didn't feel it was appropriate.
Neighbors used to do this regularly. Their childrens' birthday parties became just another excuse for the adults to tie one on. Thankfully they have moved, but just another example of how some adults need everything to be about them.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:54 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,388,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
Neighbors used to do this regularly. Their childrens' birthday parties became just another excuse for the adults to tie one on. Thankfully they have moved, but just another example of how some adults need everything to be about them.
My son went to a classmate's party at a fire hall recently. It was a six hour party (longer than a wedding!) and there was lots of booze. Just seemed overkill to me for an 8 year old's party, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting