Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider it ok to serve beer and wine to adults at a birthday party for kids between 5 - 10?
Yes 36 51.43%
No 32 45.71%
Yes, but I personally wouldn't drink at it. 2 2.86%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 07:10 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to start having the birthday parties for our children at home this next year. We are shopping for a pool now (with heater), and I plan to rent an inflatable or two, bring in a tray or two of nuggets for the kids and grill for the adults.

I plan to serve alcohol, beer and wine, to the adults, but I'm wondering if that might be considered a no no (I wouldn't think so).

My kids are currently 5 and 7, so I'll just use a blanket kid's birthday parties for children 5 - 10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 07:15 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
I think it depends on local traditions.

I once lived in an area where alcohol at little kids' parties was unheard of --- kids' parties were for kids and adults only dropped the invitees off and picked them up by the time given on the invitation. The parents throwing the party didn't have to also entertain or wine and dine the adults.

It was a bit of a cultural shock when I moved to where I live now and saw that kids' parties are for adults also and there is always lots of beer. The adults expect to stay and be fed and entertained -- not just the parents but often grandparents, aunts and uncles.

So whatever people want to do will work -- if you think someone might think it's a no-no, just put it on the invitation and there won't be any questions.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:16 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
We always had beer and wine for the adults at my kids parties.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:18 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I once lived in an area where alcohol at little kids' parties was unheard of --- kids' parties were for kids and adults only dropped the invitees off and picked them up by the time given on the invitation. The parents throwing the party didn't have to also entertain or wine and dine the adults.
That is how it is in my area.

So, no... no booze consumed at a kid party.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:41 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,754,293 times
Same here- in my area, kids birthday parties for the friends of the children . No need for the adult parents of the kids' friends to be around. The children come for 2-3 hours and then go home. At the ages of the children indicated by the OP the number of children invited is kept deliberately small.

Different if doing a party for the kids and inviting close family members. In that case, yes, alcohol is served.
But that also includes a meal. Then it's a family get together.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:44 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Same here- in my area, kids birthday parties for the friends of the children . No need for the adult parents of the kids' friends to be around. The children come for 2-3 hours and then go home. At the ages of the children indicated by the OP the number of children invited is kept deliberately small.

Different if doing a party for the kids and inviting close family members. In that case, yes, alcohol is served.
But that also includes a meal. Then it's a family get together.
That's how my kids birthday parties were. They were family get togethers, with food/drink. My kids would invite a few kids also and their parents were welcome to stay. I wouldn't have alcohol if it was strictly a kid party.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:56 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Where I live now, you go to drop your kids off, and the hosts will tell you stay and have some beer and something to eat. They don't even know you -- but I think it might even be rude to just leave. Some kids' parties have more adults than kids at them.

I think it's up to whoever is throwing the party but it helps if there are more than one way of doing it that you just make it clear on the invitation. I'll drink free beer -- I don't have any problem with that.

If I were throwing the party, I think I'd prefer to just have kids invited and have them all be picked up by a set time.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:12 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
I would never serve alcohol at a child's party, and I wouldn't drink it if it was served at one I was attending. I've seen blurred lines of responsible behavior among adults who drink alcohol around children. My husband and I once attended a Labor Day party at my child's friend's house. The guests were all extended family and friends. The child's father kept sending the child to the basement refrigerator to fetch beer. That was disgusting. I never allowed my child to play at that house again because I didn't view the parents as responsible enough to supervise my child.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:38 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
A bit of a highjack, but since I started it lol, I prefer parents remain at the party so that I can interact with them and vice versa. I don't feel comfortable not knowing anything about the kids my kids hang out.

Additionally, what do you do with a troublemaker kid who is potentially ruining the party if his parents aren't there and he won't mind you? I think the more parents there to supervise the (their) children, the better.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:00 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
A bit of a highjack, but since I started it lol, I prefer parents remain at the party so that I can interact with them and vice versa. I don't feel comfortable not knowing anything about the kids my kids hang out.

Additionally, what do you do with a troublemaker kid who is potentially ruining the party if his parents aren't there and he won't mind you? I think the more parents there to supervise the (their) children, the better.
For me, it's easier to manage children when their parents aren't around. The troublemakers often act up in front of their parents because their parents don't do anything. If the parents aren't around, you don't have to worry about reprimanding another parent's child. You are free to reprimand because the child is in your care. I've never had a child ruin a party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting