Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider it ok to serve beer and wine to adults at a birthday party for kids between 5 - 10?
Yes 36 51.43%
No 32 45.71%
Yes, but I personally wouldn't drink at it. 2 2.86%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 09:00 AM

13,982 posts, read 25,987,572 times

Advertisements

I differentiate between children's parties, (generally a couple of hours, outside the house, parents can drop and go, or stay, no alcohol) and, birthday parties which are held at the home, (entire families attending, lasting several hours, alcohol served). We usually had one of each kind per birthday.

BTW, there was a previous thread on this very question, and it got pretty contentious:
Alcohol at children's birthday parties

As far as the misbehaving guest, it never happened. In my experience, even the wildest kids behave better for other adults. If things began to get too crazy, a quick request to stop sufficed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 09:02 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,261,809 times
I think its fine. Not sure if I'll do it myself as I don't know yet what the birthday party culture is like here.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:02 AM

6,794 posts, read 5,672,673 times
as a general rule I would not. If it were a large party and some adults stayed I wouldn't have an issue offering up a beer or wine but i wouldn't buy a case just for the occasion.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:05 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,839,707 times
If it was close friends and their kids, I would think it's fine offering and attending. If it's a "school" party where you only know in passing some of the parents, I am still fine as a party goer with the drinks offered BUT I wouldn't offer alcohol myself. And this is because here it isn't the norm.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:08 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,318,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
A bit of a highjack, but since I started it lol, I prefer parents remain at the party so that I can interact with them and vice versa. I don't feel comfortable not knowing anything about the kids my kids hang out.

Additionally, what do you do with a troublemaker kid who is potentially ruining the party if his parents aren't there and he won't mind you? I think the more parents there to supervise the (their) children, the better.
How long do you think the supervising their own child is going to last once the alcohol is brought out?

It is the child's birthday and the child should be the center of attention not the food, other parents and alcohol.
By this time you should already know the parents of the children your child plays with and if you have a trouble maker you be sure to have all contact information for all parents
and call them when the trouble making child will not behave and have his parents come and get him immediately.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:22 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,440,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I'm planning to start having the birthday parties for our children at home this next year. We are shopping for a pool now (with heater), and I plan to rent an inflatable or two, bring in a tray or two of nuggets for the kids and grill for the adults.

I plan to serve alcohol, beer and wine, to the adults, but I'm wondering if that might be considered a no no (I wouldn't think so).

My kids are currently 5 and 7, so I'll just use a blanket kid's birthday parties for children 5 - 10.

yeah I was wondering the same thing. Pretty much my fridge will be stocked with craft brews, my own beer, and some wine . . .but my wife doesn't think we should serve it.

One thing we don't have is ANY sodas. I wish there was mixed pack you can buy. . .we aren't soda people.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:27 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,440,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
How long do you think the supervising their own child is going to last once the alcohol is brought out?

Very True. I would assume the second I give any Adult Beer, Cheese, Crackers, Pizza, . . or soda they will immediately drop supervision and focus on their food. Human beings just don't have the capability to both eat and drink and supervise at the same time!

Glad you brought this up. I'm canceling all food and drink immediately!

in all seriousness

Though anything is open for abuse, I see no real difference between serving beer and wine versus soda, water, and tea.

I think I would prefer to have a mixed case of beer and soda options available.

I would not want any kids drinking though (even sips with parents permission), I do not need a raid.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:31 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,704,782 times
I don't see a problem with it as long as every child is accompanied by at least one of their parents. The whole thing sounds like a scene out of every other backyard or lakeside barbecue in the modern world.

4,761 posts, read 14,305,869 times
If the adults can't go without alcohol for one day, they have a drinking problem!

Also it sets a good example for the kids when the adults can show they can have a good time without alcohol. Not to mention that an adult who has had too much to drink can be frightening to a kid.

If it is an all adult party, then fine bring out the alcohol and booze it up, but if a kids party, no alcohol.

34,619 posts, read 21,660,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
With my friends, the whole time?

Fortunately, my friends don't whip out a funnel and start chucking a six pack in the first moments of a party.

There may be a circumstance where a child's parent does drink to excess; however, it would be the same kind of problem if the child's parent who didn't stay at the party went to a bar and then returned to pick the child up stumbling drunk.

Do you require parents to remain with their children at your child's party? If you don't, what is your plan if they return a bit early falling down drunk and belligerent?

No need to answer, it's rhetorical. The point is that you can run into this problem even if you don't serve alcohol at the party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting