Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2012, 02:20 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,395,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Saying you won't drink because people in your family are alcoholics and you're afraid you will become one is basically saying you have no control over yourself and have no self-control.
Totally untrue.

Misinformed to the zillionth degree. Sorry, but you don't know what you are talking about. I truly, truly hope no one comes to you for advice on this subject.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 04-28-2012 at 02:41 PM.. Reason: Grammar

Old 04-28-2012, 02:20 PM

13,752 posts, read 10,114,500 times
Quote:
Dude, I barely drink now as it is. I really don't like the woozy nauseous feeling I get and I don't even have to drink that much to feel like that and the last time I drank I had very little and turned down anymore offered to me. I don't plan on drinking very much into my future anyways, maybe wine here and there with dinner and beer on special occasions like backyard BBQ's and special dinners out and birthdays.
Yeah, funny thing is, I hated drinking when I was your age. I never drank.

Go figure.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:46 PM

6,190 posts, read 8,004,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Yeah, funny thing is, I hated drinking when I was your age. I never drank.

Go figure.
I don't hate drinking. I just take a level headed approach to the subject.
I won't let myself get addicted.
You can fight genetics.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:52 PM

22,861 posts, read 48,195,725 times
Quote:

Saying you won't drink because people in your family are alcoholics and you're afraid you will become one is basically saying you have no control over yourself and have no self-control.
::shaking head, wondering how you manage to come up with these remarks, time and time again::

Old 04-28-2012, 03:00 PM

6,190 posts, read 8,004,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
::shaking head, wondering how you manage to come up with these remarks, time and time again::
Don't cha know I talk out of my ass?

Old 04-28-2012, 03:32 PM

13,752 posts, read 10,114,500 times
Quote:
I don't hate drinking. I just take a level headed approach to the subject.
I won't let myself get addicted.
You can fight genetics.
I'm not going to derail this thread, so I'll just finish here by saying - you are sadly misinformed. It doesn't work that way. So just be careful, okay?

Old 04-28-2012, 03:34 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,261,977 times
Quote:
The expletives that streamed into my mind when I saw this ignorant remark would get me so banned! There is no super compelling reason TO drink if you don't want to, and all sorts of reason to fear the genetics of addition. I just hope that other young people on these boards don't follow your idiot lead just because your vocal and young. May saner heads prevail.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:54 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,868,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
Family parties, yes. No one under legal drinking age can drink, but there is wine and beer for the adults. No one gets drunk, and everyone drinks responsibly.

Even at a kid's party, if for instance I threw a birthday party at our home and invited her friends, I don't see a problem with serving alcohol to the adults there, as long as the adults were not drinking heavily or getting drunk. I really don't know anyone who has a problem with alcohol, so it wouldn't be an issue here.
Kind of hard to determine how alcohol affects different people. No adult should be allowed to drink then drive,especially with a child in the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
First I need you to elaborate on what you mean by children.

There was alcohol at my baby shower, though I didnt have any. Since then there has not been alcohol at the actual party but it is usually waiting for the family fun (extended family not just me and hubby) after the party. At parties of other family members where it is the 16, 17, 18, 19 year old there is alcohol and sometimes the older ones over 16, will do jello shots or something, though I choose to look the other way as it really isnt my business.

And when there are 15 adults drinking someone usually goes past the line.

Why do you specify adult males?
it really IS your business. As it is the business of any adult there. OMG--jello shots to teens............speechless!!!

Old 04-28-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
Coming from a family of alcoholics, I've never drank in my entrie life. i also refuse to allow it in my house. Some one who bases their attendance at parties on the presence/absence of alcohol needs to evaluate their friendship/relationship with the host(s). Anyone who can't have a good time without alcohol and/or feels the need to sneak alcohol into a dry party should seriously consider professional help.
This-yes!!!!
Quote:
My dad is a drugie and alcoholic, my grandmother says my grandfather is an alcoholic (they're divorced). A few people in my family do have issues with alcohol, but I refuse to let that define me or control me. I refuse to think that because someone else in my family is like that that I will uncontrollably become one too if I drink. I have control over my own actions and I can control becoming like the few in my family.

Sure, when I turned 21, I got sh!!tfaceted but it was my birthday week celebration and after that week I haven't drank much at all, I don't feel the need to drink all the time and I don't have to have it to have fun, in fact I have more fun when I am not under the influence but just because there are a few alcoholics in my family doesn't mean if I drink I will become like them. I am who I am and I am not an alcoholic and I will not become one.

I have never read a comment on city data as stupid as this.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Lots of things aren't necessary. The party itself is not necessary. Most people do not limit themselves to the bare necessities of life. Why is it inherently wrong for an adult to have a beer at a child's birthday party?

We have always had beer/wine at our kids birthday parties IF we were inviting a wide range of ages (kids and adult). If it is a party then it is a party for all the guests, including the adults. I see no reason why adults cannot have a few drinks.
because they will then be driving and have children in the car and possibly kill someone else and their children

Crickeys...............what's UP with everyone needing alcohol??
Have a coke and a smile
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting