Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you spank your kids?
Yes, and I was spanked as a kid too 200 52.22%
Yes, but I wasn't spanked as a kid 22 5.74%
No. I was spanked as a kid and didn't like it 84 21.93%
No. I wasn't spanked and think it's bad to spank kids 77 20.10%
Voters: 383. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 11:16 AM

909 posts, read 3,362,656 times

Advertisements

I "have" spanked my kid, but I don't like to, and try to avoid it as much as possible. The few times I did it, it didn't seem to be effective. Taking away privileges worked a lot better. I was spanked as a child, and often. I'm not against spanking on principle, I think there's a place and time for it, but the spanking I endured was right on the border between punishment and abuse, so I don't have good memories of it, and want to parent differently. I don't hate my parents, actually love them very much, but that is one thing I want to do differently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 12:24 PM

19 posts, read 83,482 times
I got the belt when I was a kid. All it did was made me fear and resent my father. My mom would always make him do the dirty work which wasn't right either. My relationship with my father is still strained for this and other reasons.

Despite that, I still believe that spanking has it's place in child rearing. I believe that it is effective between the ages of 2 and 5 to help the child understand that they are not in charge. I have known many parents who I wished would use this, or some other method, to teach their kids that the parents are incharge and the kids are not.

Like the other posters have said, you're not trying to maime the kid here, just a simple swat on the butt that will be neither seen nor felt a few minutes later.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:10 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,377,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesandveybe View Post
Of course I spank. Have you forgotten how to read the Bible?
I'm a Bible Reading Christian and quite honestly the rod was not used to spank and beat the sheep, but the guide it. Additionally, if you really study all the verses where the word "Rod" is used you will see that there is no indication of beating a child with the rod.
Please look at the in depth examination of the "rod" verses in the Bible:

Gentle Christian Mothers - Christian Attachment Parenting

Additionally, in all honesty, Bible was used to justify slavery, racism, discrimination, anti-semitism etc... Anyone can find a verse in the Bible and twist it to justify their behavior.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:16 PM

1 posts, read 9,736 times
Default Spanking is GOOD

Look... My opinion is that a long time ago it worked and kids listened, ppl were friendlier and more caring in the good ole days. My kids are really good but as far as spanking, they don't get it unless it's needed. I have a 11 year old who just stole from me and I busted her A$$ for it. She got a belt and I doubt it'll happen again. My ten yr old is a good kid and I can't recall the last time she got whooped. My 5 yr old is an angel, he is perfect. He got spanked for running into the street when he was 3. I haven't touched him since and my 1 yr old is still in diapers and only gets whooped if she's going to do something to hurt her. Basically to deter her from doing it by scaring her before she tries it. That rarely happens too. I have had my fair shares in butt beatings, my parents hit me with whatever they could get ahold of and you were scared to death to try it again. I will not do that to my kids, but by Golly when they need it, it's coming. I think what is wrong with America today is that S. Workers tell the kids early on that there parents have no control and cannot do anything to them so they REBEL and then we have more and more COnvicts that we gotta pay out tax dollars on to keep them fed in jail because they lacked a good Bustin on the Behind a long time ago, and that's why we have teen pregnancies in high numbers. If parents cared about there kids and whooped them and ignored the World around them and if they would get in trouble... Life would be better. ANd I am a foster parent as well so I do have knowledge about what caseworkers say to kids.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:43 PM

697 posts, read 2,014,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I'm a Bible Reading Christian and quite honestly the rod was not used to spank and beat the sheep, but the guide it. Additionally, if you really study all the verses where the word "Rod" is used you will see that there is no indication of beating a child with the rod.
Please look at the in depth examination of the "rod" verses in the Bible:

Gentle Christian Mothers - Christian Attachment Parenting

Additionally, in all honesty, Bible was used to justify slavery, racism, discrimination, anti-semitism etc... Anyone can find a verse in the Bible and twist it to justify their behavior.
You contradict yourself here.

That's why it's silly to put so much stock in something written so very long ago, by so very many different men telling stories.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:00 PM

335 posts, read 1,112,952 times
I was spanked/beaten/abused (whatever you guys want to call it) as a child. But i was also punished and lectured to. And when (god's willing) I have a child I will spank, lecture, and punish my child.

I don't resent my mother or grandmother for discipling me however they see fit. If I resent my mother for anything it would be for being too strict with me.

I love my mom and I definitely don't fear her. She had to raised twins (girls). I am sure we tested her patience great at times. Especially when she had a long day at work and she came home to a messy house, frozen meat she had wanted us to take out the freezer but we forgot, and we were talking back to her about something. Whenever my mom put her hands on us we knew exactly why. As she hit us she was telling us why she was hitting us.

But I think I hated being punished more. So whenever I have kids I will try to keep this in mind. Also from observing my sister and nephew. She does hit him and she lectures to him. sometimes the lecturing works but the spanking does have results.

She doesn't hit him when he is outside. When she is home and gets tired of repeating herself she counts to three. And if she reaches three she hits him. So now she reaches just two. And she notices that he waits for her to reach two before he responds. So now she is going to move down one. And the crap that he doesn't pull with his mother he tries to do it with me or my mom. And that is because we don't hit him. And in order to get him under control we have to threaten him with his mother or to hit him. He really likes to test us!! It is interesting to say the least.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:16 PM

2,940 posts, read 3,964,461 times
Sad.......

Old 10-12-2008, 08:31 AM

1 posts, read 9,574 times
Default For the love of Pete

Hello, I've been reading over the posts in this thread and I've got to add my prospective.

*I am a father of 3

I spank my kids sometimes

A proper spanking leaves RED MARKS, not welts, that last from one to five days.

My children go to daycare

I strongly suggest

Old 10-12-2008, 10:01 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,180,716 times
I was spanked and I do not spank my own. I think that spanking teaches kids that it's OK to hit others when you are angry and that it's also OK to be hit by others when they are angry. It taught me to be sneaky and to ensure that if I wanted to do something that my parents might disagree with that I should make sure that they didn't find out about it. I feel like spanking might accomplish short term goals to make kids behave and also serve as an outlet for the parent's frustration but the long term lessons are what concern me.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:58 PM

1,032 posts, read 4,263,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farooge View Post
A proper spanking leaves RED MARKS, not welts, that last from one to five days
This is very disturbing. To suggest that there is a such thing as a "proper spanking" is just wrong.

I have three young boys and they are not hit. In my opinion, hitting children just puts fear in them, and is used by people who lack patience to deal with their children in a respectful manner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting