Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you spank your kids?
Yes, and I was spanked as a kid too 200 52.22%
Yes, but I wasn't spanked as a kid 22 5.74%
No. I was spanked as a kid and didn't like it 84 21.93%
No. I wasn't spanked and think it's bad to spank kids 77 20.10%
Voters: 383. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 06:16 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,378,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I am shocked about the CP doled out to teens that you described - if you believe in using CP as discipline, then once that kid hits about five years of age, spanking is too late to be effective as far as I'm concerned - that ship has sailed.

I don't believe in CP or even "swatting" - this is not setting our children up to know how to deal with the real world, unless in the real world your boss comes up to you and swats you on the tush for missing a meeting or losing a file. Think about it.

I was spanked by both parents throughout my childhood, and many times because they had lost control of their own temper. Once a parent loses control of their temper, they are no longer teaching or disiplining effectively. I have forgiven my parents for this and we have a very close relationship to this day. I think the biggest problem I experienced wasn't necessarily the physical pain, but the humiliation and demoralization I felt - I would never subject anyone to that.

When my son was going through his "terrible threes" he got an occasional hand slap, but only when he did something in defiance of what I had just got through explaining to him not to do. He was challenging me - testing the waters, and I was setting the boundaries. This happened maybe three times in his whole life. I just got a call today from one of his teachers from last year, and she referred to him as her "adopted son". I don't go around bragging about how great my kids are (so many of us tend to) but when outside parties rave about how great your child is, then you know you're doing something right.
ugh, that was very well said.
I just don't get it. People try to justify their spanking: well it's occasional swat ,it's not beating, it doesn't "really" hurt. So, then first of all: so then what's the point, why can't you just avoid that? What are you achieving exactly? And secondly: what does it really have to do with physical pain in the first place? Emotional pain can be far more damaging.

Also, just because a mother spanks but still has a decent relationship with her children doesn't make it right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 10:01 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,324,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
I'm curious, do you spank your kids? Or if you don't have kids do you support spanking?

I know I was spanked. It seems everyone I know, If they were spanked they support spanking kids, and if they weren't they think it's barbaric and cruel.

So what do you think?
I was spanked. I do not spank any more. I think spanking can be helpful and it should be done in moderation and at the parent's discretion NOT the governments. I also think not every parent should spank and not all children need to be spanked. All that being said it seems to have worked very well for my parents.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:44 PM

325 posts, read 1,077,013 times
I dont spank my son as often as I need to. I try to talk to him and all that stuff and it doesnt work. He is rude and disrespectful to me. Talks back the whold nine. When he stays at grandmas my mom doesnt put up with his crap and she beats his behind. And guess what he doesnt give her an ounce of trouble. I dont spank him that much but maybe I should start. He might behave.

Old 09-21-2007, 05:46 AM

592 posts, read 2,809,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
I'm not sure I connect learning to respect adults with being physically assaulted as a child. Good way to install fear though.

You actually state that your own children are respectful of adults, without ever having been spanked. What was your aversion to corporal punishment with them? Any why do you think that you were able to convey such a lesson to them, without resorting to "pummeling"?

Parents can discipline their children without spanking. You pretty much stated so yourself. And I think that children should be taught they are entitled to be safe, especially within their own home. And parents should be their children's protectors not their tormentors.

Sara
I sure made the connection, didn't take me long either. I simply said I learned at a very young age what the outcome would be from my parents and while I didn't necessarily agree with their discipline, it worked and didn't make me a criminal, murderer, drug abuser or any other such thing. You are absolutely right, parents can discipline without spanking, but I've seen kids that just might benefit from a parent with a spine too. I just don't think society should be so quick to judge a parent, obviously there are exceptions, I don't think spanking is anything to get too excited about.

Old 09-21-2007, 05:58 AM

4,682 posts, read 12,055,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesspolamalu View Post
I dont spank my son as often as I need to. I try to talk to him and all that stuff and it doesnt work. He is rude and disrespectful to me. Talks back the whold nine. When he stays at grandmas my mom doesnt put up with his crap and she beats his behind. And guess what he doesnt give her an ounce of trouble. I dont spank him that much but maybe I should start. He might behave.
Sounds like there is a lack of respect on his behalf towards his mom. Sorry that don't recall if you've mentioned before, but how old is he? Maybe a combination of some firm, very firm, discussions in conjunction with a firm spanking might over the course of time turn the tide for you? Maybe also have your mom discuss such with him too - letting him know that he should respect all, not just her? Just some thoughts... Best of luck to you tho'.

Old 09-21-2007, 11:17 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,370,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesspolamalu View Post
My 9 year old daughter got out of control with her disrespect for a while. I tried everything. Grounding to her room, no tv, no computer, long sit down talks about WHY she couldn't treat/talk to me that way. How it made me feel, how it made her look to others, etc, etc.....
One night I'd had it. It had been quite a while since she'd been spanked. She was SO nasty to me and I just couldn't take it anymore. She got a good spanking! On her butt, with my hand. I sent her to her room, went in and told her that enough was enough. I explained all the things I'd tried to get her to understand. We went over all the punishments she'd had for disrespecting me. Then I told her she was going to get spanked for it because nothing else had worked. She got spanked and it has been almost 9 months and things are SO much better. If she starts to get disrespectful now I look her in the eye and tell her she will not treat/talk to me that way. She apologises!!!! It worked great. That was the last time she got spanked for anything. Talking things out works a lot better now than it used to.

Old 09-21-2007, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeg26 View Post
My 9 year old daughter got out of control with her disrespect for a while. I tried everything. Grounding to her room, no tv, no computer, long sit down talks about WHY she couldn't treat/talk to me that way. How it made me feel, how it made her look to others, etc, etc.....
Did you try figuring out why she acts that way prior to your array of punishments?
I wasn't there and don't know how it all went down (obviously), but just from your list alone:

Grounding - punishment

No TV - punishment

No computer - punishment

I'm trying to figure out if you feel that spanking completely could have not been avoided.

Last edited by max's mama; 09-21-2007 at 12:27 PM..

Old 09-21-2007, 12:14 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,602,381 times
I can't find the post on here, but earlier someone had mentioned they had a problem with "time outs" just wondering what is wrong with a time out??

Old 09-21-2007, 03:40 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,370,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Did you try figuring out why she acts that way prior to your array of punishments?
I wasn't there and don't know how it all went down (obviously), but just from your list alone:

Grounding - punishment

No TV - punishment

No computer - punishment

I'm trying to figure out if you feel that spanking completely could have not been avoided.
The spanking was the final draw. But it was the one that worked. Yes, we did talk about WHY she was acting that way. We talked about things she could do about them. We had many long talks. All the other punishments did not work. This was an ongoing (probably 6months) problem, and it finally got to the point she needed to be spanked. She didn't care what I did, she wasn't going to be respectful. She was going to push, push, push and she KNEW what she was doing was wrong.

Old 09-21-2007, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeg26 View Post
The spanking was the final draw. But it was the one that worked. Yes, we did talk about WHY she was acting that way. We talked about things she could do about them. We had many long talks. All the other punishments did not work. This was an ongoing (probably 6months) problem, and it finally got to the point she needed to be spanked. She didn't care what I did, she wasn't going to be respectful. She was going to push, push, push and she KNEW what she was doing was wrong.
Got it.
So do you think whatever reason she was acting that way dissappeared after the spanking or is she still harboring it inside? Since you guys never seemed to figure out what was wrong that time.
I just wonder, because I hope this behaviour doesn't repeat again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting