Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you spank your kids?
Yes, and I was spanked as a kid too 200 52.22%
Yes, but I wasn't spanked as a kid 22 5.74%
No. I was spanked as a kid and didn't like it 84 21.93%
No. I wasn't spanked and think it's bad to spank kids 77 20.10%
Voters: 383. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 11:13 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,370,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I'm so freaking appauled and shocked to hear that moms here would be ok for someone else to spank their children. I'm horrified. really.
Yes, I allow my parents and family, who I am close to, spank my kids. They only have done it a few times and I am fine with it. I trust them to do what is right. They raised me! If I didn't spank my kids myself I'm sure I wouldn't be OK with anyone else doing it.
BTW, just my family. If spanking was ok at my kids school I'm not sure how I'd feel. I think I'd support it if it was watched very closely and the guidelines were written in stone and followed. I'd want to know exactly why kids were spanked and how often, ect. Of course my kids have never gotten in trouble at school, and I've seen how out of control some of the other kids are. That's probably why I feel that way.

Last edited by treeg26; 09-17-2007 at 11:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 11:18 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,378,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlovertoo View Post
I was spanked as a child ,by my Mother,never my Dad. What did spanking really do?It made me scared of my Mom,but when I hit teenage years,I rebelled like no other.
I don't spank my children.I think there are other ways to deal with bad behaviour.When my kids hit eachother,I can say Do I hit you when I'm mad?They stop.I really don't have a lot of problems with my kids,and I don't want them to be scared of me.
I would never allow the School to paddle my children!!It was allowed when I was in school and I got it once or twice. I just think it is Our responsiblty of parents to punish our children.
You are a great example. I'm so happy that someone here learned from their parent's mistakes.

That's the whole point. While your children are still young, spanking can still work. What in the world are you going to do when they are teenagers and you can't spank them anymore? What kind of method of discipline will you use then? If spanking is your only reliable form of discipline - you are doomed.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:20 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,378,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeg26 View Post
Yes, I allow my parents and family, who I am close to, spank my kids. They only have done it a few times and I am fine with it. I trust them to do what is right. They raised me right!
That's fine.
I think that I was raised well without the spanking. Neither my sister nor I were ever spanked and I think it's unneccessary. Obviously I can see from your post that you have been spanked or swatted so you do the same thing. Makes perfect sense. If you trust the grandparents and even an aunt to do the same to your children, it's your prerogative.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:29 AM

4,273 posts, read 15,250,116 times
We don't have kids yet but both DH and I were spanked as a kid and would do it to ours. I don't think spanking should be the "first line of defense" in disciplining children but I do feel it is sometimes necessary and should be used as a last resort. I am a firm believer in positive reinforcement since I grew up with a lot of negative energy as a child and know I wouldn't want that for my children but to "outlaw" spanking - no way. Sometimes, it just has to be done!

Old 09-17-2007, 11:29 AM

Quote:
That's fine.
I think that I was raised well without the spanking. Neither my sister nor I were ever spanked and I think it's unneccessary. Obviously I can see from your post that you have been spanked or swatted so you do the same thing. Makes perfect sense. If you trust the grandparents and even an aunt to do the same to your children, it's your prerogative.
Thanks. The big thing is that I trust them completely. If I didn't trust them and wasn't close with them this wouldn't be the case. My sister has my kids a lot. We are very close. She isn't comfortable spanking my kids (she doesn't have kids herself) but has told me when they have done something wrong. She addresses it in her own way then lets me handle the rest.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:30 AM

8,002 posts, read 18,602,381 times
Quote:
And I bet the kids there don't get out of hand like they would in a school where there is not spanking! The kids know there is going to be a big consiquence if they really screw up! I think this is great. They probably hardly ever have to spank, too! Just knowing that it is a possibility keeps these kids in line. Am I right?
In my opinion, this school has a great bunch of kids, it's K through 8th. Yeah, there are a few that have gotten the almighty spanking, which is 3 swats to the rear with a wooden paddle, but it's pretty rare. My kids have not had any spankings - and I'm confident that it will never happen to them. A good majority of the parents in the district are involved at the school and are there volunteering every single day, so we all know what's going on every second of the day!!

Old 09-17-2007, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb68 View Post
In my opinion, this school has a great bunch of kids, it's K through 8th. Yeah, there are a few that have gotten the almighty spanking, which is 3 swats to the rear with a wooden paddle, but it's pretty rare. My kids have not had any spankings - and I'm confident that it will never happen to them. A good majority of the parents in the district are involved at the school and are there volunteering every single day, so we all know what's going on every second of the day!!
It sounds like you live in a great community with very involved parents. That is so wonderful! I just recently moved to a new school district and am just getting to know the school and have only met a few parents. Where I used to live we parents all stuck together. Most moms agreed that if our kid was doing something wrong we wanted to know about it. You tell me if you hear/see something and I'll do the same. We agreed our kids would all do better if they didn't think they were getting away with something just because they were on the other side of town. It worked out great for us. I always knew if my kids were up to something. It didn't happen too much because they were young. I know the middle school parents got more phone calls. We didn't have the "Not my kid" attitude, either, which was great. Of course some mom's didn't want to be a part of that, and their kids were usually the ones getting into trouble!

Old 09-17-2007, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb68 View Post
This is how it SHOULD work if a school uses spankings.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:42 AM

Quote:
It sounds like you live in a great community with very involved parents. That is so wonderful! I just recently moved to a new school district and am just getting to know the school and have only met a few parents. Where I used to live we parents all stuck together. Most moms agreed that if our kid was doing something wrong we wanted to know about it. You tell me if you hear/see something and I'll do the same. We agreed our kids would all do better if they didn't think they were getting away with something just because they were on the other side of town. It worked out great for us. I always knew if my kids were up to something. It didn't happen too much because they were young. I know the middle school parents got more phone calls. We didn't have the "Not my kid" attitude, either, which was great. Of course some mom's didn't want to be a part of that, and their kids were usually the ones getting into trouble!
That's wonderful. The community I moved to now, you can actually go and talk to a parent when their kid is doing something wrong and you don't get a negative reaction. Where I use to live it was the "not my kid attitude" - everyone's child could do no wrong, how dare you say that about my child, etc... My community now, is alot of good people, we watch out for each other's kids and when and if my kid's or their kids are doing something wrong I/We all want to hear about.

I'm actually shocked at how involved the parents are here, it is so refreshing. The community does everything together, even the couples without children, everyone is family here!!

Old 09-17-2007, 11:45 AM

Quote:
You are a great example. I'm so happy that someone here learned from their parent's mistakes.

That's the whole point. While your children are still young, spanking can still work. What in the world are you going to do when they are teenagers and you can't spank them anymore? What kind of method of discipline will you use then? If spanking is your only reliable form of discipline - you are doomed.
Hey Max's mama, spanking was not my parent's only form of discipline, but it was one of them. I mentioned earlier that my father spanked me once and I never misbehaved in that fashion again - well I was 15 when I got that spanking!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting