Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you spank your kids?
Yes, and I was spanked as a kid too 200 52.22%
Yes, but I wasn't spanked as a kid 22 5.74%
No. I was spanked as a kid and didn't like it 84 21.93%
No. I wasn't spanked and think it's bad to spank kids 77 20.10%
Voters: 383. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 08:50 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,813,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
I answered yes and yes. Everything in moderation and only a slap on the behind. By and large, with some exceptions, most kids I have seen who were not spanked were royal brats.
I admire your control. I can't spank my kids because by the time I want to spank them I usually want to kill them and there's a fine line between discipline and murder.

Time outs and taking away privledges have always worked for me...but you need to be consistent and actually follow through on what you threaten to take away and stick to it for the time period you set. If not they will walk all over you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 10:57 AM

4,682 posts, read 12,055,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
I admire your control. I can't spank my kids because by the time I want to spank them I usually want to kill them and there's a fine line between discipline and murder.

Time outs and taking away privledges have always worked for me...but you need to be consistent and actually follow through on what you threaten to take away and stick to it for the time period you set. If not they will walk all over you!
Very good point - that of being consistent. Too often will see/hear someone tell about their kids, how they were doing this or that, and then they will admit that this time they did this, that time they disciplined 'em differently, other times not at all. Like most humans, kids really need structure, guidelines, to know where the boundaries [of right and wrong] are - meanwhile they will test those borders, intentionally or not, seeing how momma and/or poppa will react. Not by any means perfect, but always try to be firm, with love and understanding, while being as consistent as possible.

Old 09-28-2007, 11:24 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,377,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post

Did you ever visit Gentle Christian Mothers site? I love that one...(sorry, I just saw that you were a progressive Christian...so I thought I will suggest...)

Old 09-29-2007, 07:51 AM

1 posts, read 3,149 times
Smile spanking

i love spanking my children

Old 09-29-2007, 08:00 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,369,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgirl1234567890 View Post
i love spanking my children
Ha Ha! At least once a week just to remind them who's boss, right? (Just a joke LOL)

Old 09-29-2007, 12:11 PM

119 posts, read 456,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
I'm curious, do you spank your kids? Or if you don't have kids do you support spanking?

I know I was spanked. It seems everyone I know, If they were spanked they support spanking kids, and if they weren't they think it's barbaric and cruel.

So what do you think?
Barbaric and cruel is beating the crap out of a kid....not the same as spanking. I have spanked my daughter but it hasn't happened often. Kids aren't dumb...they know whether they are being disciplined or abused. Oh, and I've received 1 spanking in my whole life.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:53 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,617,212 times
Actually, I was beaten as a kid. I had a lot of anger control problems in my younger life. I was worse with my first born, much more reasonable with my second born. I learned over time to control my temper.

That said, I don't see much wrong with calm corporal punishment, such as a few swats on the butt with a ping pong paddle or open hand. Time-outs, loss of privileges, extra chores, or loss of allowances should be the first options. If those methods work, stay with them.

Old 10-01-2007, 04:07 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
To quote a local cop that had been called when my grandaughter ran away and tried to use the "they beat me" defense....he said "OBVIOUSLY not enough.....as long as they do NOT bruise you, break you or cause bleeding it's their call."

Kids have the notion nowadays that you cant do anything to them.....at least here in Nevada....they are wrong.

Old 10-06-2007, 11:34 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,473,557 times
My mom used a wooden spoon or ruler on my bare backside when I got out of line (as well as other punishments like grounding, chores, early bedtime, etc.). I saw nothing wrong with any of it at the time and I see nothing wrong with it in retrospect. In fact I probably deserved more punishments than I actually got.

I'm pretty liberal on most things, but the anti-spanking nonsense is one area I'm definitely NOT. Parents need to be parents, not buddies. And a sore butt is not child abuse!

Old 10-06-2007, 12:15 PM

355 posts, read 2,703,157 times
Spanking your children is ok , but abusing them is not , unless you just have no choice but to abuse them . What I cannot not stand is those parents who don't spank or discipline their children at all . Have you ever seen those mothers in Wal-Mart begging their kids to stop misbehaving and their kids just keep running off and doing as they please and not even listening to their mother ? That's because their mother has never spanked them for misbehavior and they think misbehaving is okay . But its not okay . Another type of parent that I hate is the parent who thinks their child is a little angel and could never do anything wrong . Those are the children who wait until their parents are not around to misbehave and then get in to all kinds of fights and do other bad things . Then when someone says what their child did while they were gone , they do not believe it and ask their child if they did this bad thing and the child just says " No mommy , I did not do that . " Then their dumb parent believes them !! This just infuriates me that a parent would believe their child before believing the adult who just witnessed the misbehavior . To me those are the children who deserve a good beating !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting