Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you spank your kids?
Yes, and I was spanked as a kid too 200 52.22%
Yes, but I wasn't spanked as a kid 22 5.74%
No. I was spanked as a kid and didn't like it 84 21.93%
No. I wasn't spanked and think it's bad to spank kids 77 20.10%
Voters: 383. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 10:20 AM

893 posts, read 1,579,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
From what I see spanking is more done out of anger and frustration, which seems hardly in control. Seems most do not actually listen to their kids with out thought parents resppond with NO verses evaluating what the question or situation is.

Example a child reaches for something they have never seen before.. this is a curriosity and sparks brain development, yet often parents respoond with a slap on the hands or a NO... why? are you too lazy or uninvolved to explore this new thing with them? Does it really hurt that they touch something? ( baring a hot stove top).... Just because it isnt theirs doesnt mean the curiosity isnt there.

I think spanking and NO's are often done from not taking time to fully evaluate a situation. I suggest if I ever see you snatch you child by the arm and beat their backside I will intervene, my business or not. and you will change your course or child services will be involved.

Spanking is the way of the ignorant, those that can't instill more significant punishments, like disapproval, disappointment, or removal of priviledges. There are other options if parents stay involved, listen and evaluate.
I hate to break it to you, it's legal in all 50 states. My brothers wife works for CPS and there is nothing they hate more than phone calls that take up there time over spanking. They have no legal course of action other than the paperwork that prevents them from working on real serious cases. Maybe it is different in each state. As far as someone intervening in on my business, all I can say is bring it, you wont like the results one bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 10:41 AM

893 posts, read 1,579,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Spanking is the way of the ignorant, those that can't instill more significant punishments, like disapproval, disappointment, or removal of priviledges. There are other options if parents stay involved, listen and evaluate.
You say this, yet in every poll, the pro spanking numbers overwhelmingly out weigh the anti. A mother swats her child on tv, the media makes an issue of it ,and the majority of the population stands by the mother. So you are saying that the majority are ignorant to disciplining a child? What works for you is great, it may not work for another. Hence why for every study that says spanking is wrong, there's another that says it is not wrong. Not finding an effective way for your child would be ignorant. I guess you can call the residents of Temple, Tx ignorant because a whopping 90% just voted yes to reinstate corporal punishment in Jr. High and High school after a signed petition was brought to the school boards attention.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:04 AM

3 posts, read 7,305 times
uhhhhh ima good kid never been touched all of my family never been hit or anything and we're all good kids me and my sister are prob the worst and its cuz of our friends (my friends got hit) rofl and about that jr. high punishment thing if my teachers ever tried that i'd knock them out

Old 06-25-2009, 01:06 AM

416 posts, read 407,566 times
My mummy and daddy used to spank me and now I am violent to other people.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:12 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,928,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanko75 View Post
I guess you can call the residents of Temple, Tx ignorant because a whopping 90% just voted yes to reinstate corporal punishment in Jr. High and High school after a signed petition was brought to the school boards attention.
Would you really like me to answer that?

Old 06-26-2009, 07:05 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,370,760 times
My mom spanked me often as I kid and then while I was sitting there sniffing and snotting every where she would explain to me WHY she spanked me. I hate to see parents spank their kids and then not talk to them afterward. Then she would tell me that although she was very disappointed in my behavior, she still loved me and for me to go to my room. By the time we got finished talking the effect of the spanking had worn off anyway.

Old 06-27-2009, 01:05 PM

5 posts, read 11,455 times
Someone comented that spanking is not hitting. What in the name of baby's r us is the difference

Old 06-28-2009, 12:57 PM

Time-outs, loss of privileges, extra chores, or loss of allowances should be the first options.Really? Why not sitting down and talking to them and making them understand the difference between right and wrong and finding out the reason 4 their behavior

Old 06-28-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
I'm pretty liberal on most things, but the anti-spanking nonsense is one area I'm definitely NOT. Parents need to be parents, not buddies. And a sore butt is not child abuse!
So there's something wrong with parents being their children's friends. I disagree. My mom was and is my best friend and I have the utmost respect for her

Old 06-28-2009, 01:18 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,378,669 times
Ah - I wish I didn't see this thread popping back up. Some of the responses make me feel sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting