Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 05:40 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,669,320 times

Advertisements

Have never heard this term. I was taken back by reading this article about an Easter Egg Hunt that was cancelled because of the parents. I hope this isn't the norm today in parenting.

Aggressive parents force egg hunt cancellation - NEWS10 ABC: Albany, New York News, Weather, Sports
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 05:50 AM

45,425 posts, read 60,608,674 times
The norm? Maybe not but it is common. My school (a high school) always plans on breaking even or making a profit on the Prom from the tickets sold to the parents at $90/person/$150/couple. Yes the kids go in the rented limos but their parents show up in their own cars.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:51 AM

258 posts, read 160,186 times
I've never heard the term before either but sadly i know exactly what they mean. Overbearing is the term used over here in the UK.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:07 AM

22,595 posts, read 47,689,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Have never heard this term. I was taken back by reading this article about an Easter Egg Hunt that was cancelled because of the parents. I hope this isn't the norm today in parenting.
Not the norm here.... our egg hunt goes well with minimal parental involvement.

Only the toddlers get to have a parent help them... they are clueless as to what they are to do.
The toddlers have their own area too.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:10 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,690,790 times
I've heard the term for over 10 years; it is nothing unusual. 8 years ago a church in SC where I used to live tried the same thing; people came from 20 miles away and were literally shoving small children onto the ground, stealing eggs out of children's baskets and fighting over the eggs. The next year, we had the "hunt" done for age groups, and any parent who crossed the rope was immediately hauled off and their children were disqualified (except that some didn't even bring children!).

It is called the greed and selfishness of those with an entitlement mindset. Now where I live a local church does it in a local park; the children are well-disciplined and the parents stay out of it.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:11 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,132,993 times
That is really sad but you see evidence of that in sports and all extracurricular activities with kids these days. Pushing for success that my kids are the best. Does that make me the best? Who am I concerned about being the best? Driving the kids and taking away the fun so the kids can be winners! These parents need to be in therapy. I don't believe in pushing kids and it has worked with my two boys, grown boys. What happened to "fun"?

Old 03-26-2012, 07:50 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,319,403 times
It is more prevalent than people would like to admit. It happens all the time in the schools where mommy calls to talk to the teacher about something that happened in school vs having the child talk to the teacher, or mommy calling about a grade and how her child is so smart and the teacher should give her a better grade. In high school parents are all over teachers because of grades, etc. Heck, parents are even calling potential employers about why junior didn't get a job, etc. There is a fine line between being an involved parent and being a helicopter. The helicopters swoop in to prevent any disappointment or wrong turns by their kids--which in the long run is very damaging.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:58 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,286,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
It is more prevalent than people would like to admit. It happens all the time in the schools where mommy calls to talk to the teacher about something that happened in school vs having the child talk to the teacher, or mommy calling about a grade and how her child is so smart and the teacher should give her a better grade. In high school parents are all over teachers because of grades, etc. Heck, parents are even calling potential employers about why junior didn't get a job, etc. There is a fine line between being an involved parent and being a helicopter. The helicopters swoop in to prevent any disappointment or wrong turns by their kids--which in the long run is very damaging.
^that. My little sister has an event at school called field day, that was nearly ruined by helicopter parents.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:32 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,287,554 times
Ellwood...always been that way...remember when the first cabbadge patch kids came out?

Old 03-26-2012, 08:53 AM

2,488 posts, read 4,323,493 times
It's the sign of the generation cycle at work. Noticed how the article mentioned the trend started when the "babies on board" sign came out? That's when the Millennial generation began to born. The parents of the Millennials were underprotected by society during their childhood and try to undo this by being more protective of their own children. According to the Fourth Turning, "As HEROES replace Nomads in childhood during an Unraveling, they are nurtured with increasing protection by pessimistic adults in an insecure environment." The Millennials belong to the Hero archetype and are on par with the GI generation. The era from 1984-2008 were the Unraveling.

Then the trend towards greater protection eventually reaches a point of over-protection. Something that may happen with the current generation of babies being born, known as the Homeland generation. The Homelands are on par with the Silent generation, who were also over protected by society due to the Depression and WWII. The Homelands and Silents both belong to the Artist archetype. According to the Fourth Turning, "As ARTISTS replace Heroes in childhood during a Crisis, they are overprotected at a time of political convulsion and adult self-sacrifice." We're in the Crisis era right now.

In between the Silents and Millennials are the Baby boomers and Generation X. The Boomers belong to the Prophet archetype and Xers belong to the Nomad archetype.

Prophet archetype- http://fourthturning.com/html/archetypes_0.html (broken link)
Baby boom generation- http://fourthturning.com/html/boom_generation.html (broken link)

Nomad archetype- http://fourthturning.com/html/archetypes_1.html (broken link)
Generation X or 13th- http://fourthturning.com/html/13th_generation.html (broken link)

Hero archetpe- Archetypes (http://fourthturning.com/html/archetypes_2.html - broken link)
GI generation- GI Generation (http://fourthturning.com/html/gi_generation.html - broken link)
Millennial generation- Millennial Generation (http://fourthturning.com/html/millennial_generation.html - broken link)

Artist archetype- Archetypes (http://fourthturning.com/html/archetypes_3.html - broken link)
Silent generation- Silent Generation (http://fourthturning.com/html/silent_generation.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting