Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 05:47 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,305,026 times

Advertisements

I have been -itching about this obnoxious behavior in parents for years. They have to have their noses aggressively into everything their kids do and many end up behaving worse than the children! It's all about competition and staying ahead of the Joneses, even if it's only a damn egg.

It's things like this when I mumbled "I hate people!" the most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 06:37 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,837,498 times
This has been going on since I was a kid. I was never a competitive person when it came to sports and so many parents would get so mad if I missed a catch or something minor. I mean, we were 8 year olds on a co-ed coach pitch soft ball team, not the world series. Everyone gets a trophy anyways whats the big deal.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:00 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,853,400 times
At my job we recently had a parent come to complain about her 18 year old daughter's schedule. She couldn't work evenings....or early mornings...or weekends. And don't you even dare ask her to work an overnight shift! I honestly felt sorry for the daughter....someday mommy will be gone and she'll need to navigate life on her own.

Since she was giving us a 5 hour window to work with, we informed the daughter (not the mom) that her schedule did not fit our needs and let her go. She was baffled as to why... just completely confused.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:26 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,120,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
At my job we recently had a parent come to complain about her 18 year old daughter's schedule. She couldn't work evenings....or early mornings...or weekends. And don't you even dare ask her to work an overnight shift! I honestly felt sorry for the daughter....someday mommy will be gone and she'll need to navigate life on her own.

Since she was giving us a 5 hour window to work with, we informed the daughter (not the mom) that her schedule did not fit our needs and let her go. She was baffled as to why... just completely confused.
INSANE. I worked in a large supermarket across the street from my house when I was in high school. Although she shopped in there regularly and knew everyone my Mom had nothing to do with me getting the job - I handled everything on my own. My brother (who was 3 years older than me but her most precious child at the time) got chicken pox and she came to buy him calomine lotion. I rang it up as taxable. She went to the office and told them to so she could get her 8 freaking cents back. What do you call the opposite of helicopter parent?

Old 03-28-2012, 12:44 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,228,838 times
We attended a public easter egg hunt one year in our city but my kids didn't enjoy it as much as they did hunting for eggs in the backyard or with their own friends somewhere. I think these public events sometimes over reach. Cancelling it was a good call and now everyone can go have fun.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:12 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,305,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
We attended a public easter egg hunt one year in our city but my kids didn't enjoy it as much as they did hunting for eggs in the backyard or with their own friends somewhere. I think these public events sometimes over reach. Cancelling it was a good call and now everyone can go have fun.
I think it was a good call, too. Especially since they announced WHY. A good shame on the adults.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:39 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
This has been going on since I was a kid. I was never a competitive person when it came to sports and so many parents would get so mad if I missed a catch or something minor. I mean, we were 8 year olds on a co-ed coach pitch soft ball team, not the world series. Everyone gets a trophy anyways whats the big deal.
Same when I was growing up. I wasn't a great athlete. In fifth grade I was playing softball. I was out in left field, and the sun was in my eyes. Someone hit the ball my way but I couldn't see, and the ball hit me in the head. I managed to scoop it up and throw it, but the other team scored and won. I couldn't see right from being hit in the head, but managed to walk back to the bench, where the furious coach--another girl's mother-- started screaming at me that I should have caught that ball. I couldn't even get her face to come into focus and she sounded far away.

My parents didn't come to softball games, so I just let her finish, sat on the bench while everyone left and waited until I could see again, and then walked home, about a mile.

No wonder I have no tolerance for these parents who baby their kids, lol.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:03 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,120,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Same when I was growing up. I wasn't a great athlete. In fifth grade I was playing softball. I was out in left field, and the sun was in my eyes. Someone hit the ball my way but I couldn't see, and the ball hit me in the head. I managed to scoop it up and throw it, but the other team scored and won. I couldn't see right from being hit in the head, but managed to walk back to the bench, where the furious coach--another girl's mother-- started screaming at me that I should have caught that ball. I couldn't even get her face to come into focus and she sounded far away.

My parents didn't come to softball games, so I just let her finish, sat on the bench while everyone left and waited until I could see again, and then walked home, about a mile.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:06 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
We have had sleepovers where the parents wanted to come too. When we said no, they kept their kids home.

Some parents would not allow their kids to come to our house because we do not hover. If they return unbroken and not bleeding, everything else is fine IMO.

Of course when some of those kids were eventaully allowed to sleep over (at age 14) they did nto make it though the night and we had to take them home at 2 a.m. Then they could not make it through camp or the 8th grade Washington DC trip and had to go home. I do not know how such kids survive college withuot Mommy and Daddy there at all times.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:16 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,754,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
It extends into the work place. A family member runs a large department at a large firm that hires many 20 somethings fresh out of college. He's told me many a story about Mom calling him when they feel like their son is not being treated well or gotten the raise / promotion.

Can you imagine your mom calling your boss to complain ?
Wasn't there a t.v. episode about that. I think it was "Everybody Loves Raymond" where Robert was trying to get a job or a raise or something everything went well and the mother decided involved...I don't remember everything, but I'm sure you can imagine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting