Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 02:45 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,861,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Wonder if the daughter knew mommy came by? That would explain her baffled expression.
That would actually make me feel really bad for the daughter for getting sniped like that, but her confusion was over why only giving us a 5 hour window would create an issue. We get a lot of teenagers/young adults and it can be astounding how they think they can come in late or not even show up. Sometimes I feel like half of my day is explaining how a 'job requirement' means do it or you'll be fired...not do it if the stars align and you happen to feel like it.

I've seen resumes where a parent is listed as a reference. My favorite resume of all time though had a fast food place listed under previous work history. Under reason for termination the applicant put 'lateness and bad attitude' with a little hand drawn frowny face. So...um...thanks for being honest? I guess?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 07:00 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,128,217 times
OK - so we had our first egg hunt. Our friends did one in their yard because most places start at age 3. All of our kids are 15 months to just under 2 years. I was shocked that they actually picked up the eggs. We were allowed to hold their bags but not pick anything up. LOL. They cleared the yard and it was absolutely adorable. They were little plastic eggs with a mini granola bar or an Easter tattoo. There were also some of those squeazy bath toys scattered around. How could you ever let something so precious turn ugly?

Old 04-01-2012, 03:04 AM

7,976 posts, read 7,367,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
That would actually make me feel really bad for the daughter for getting sniped like that, but her confusion was over why only giving us a 5 hour window would create an issue. We get a lot of teenagers/young adults and it can be astounding how they think they can come in late or not even show up. Sometimes I feel like half of my day is explaining how a 'job requirement' means do it or you'll be fired...not do it if the stars align and you happen to feel like it.

I've seen resumes where a parent is listed as a reference. My favorite resume of all time though had a fast food place listed under previous work history. Under reason for termination the applicant put 'lateness and bad attitude' with a little hand drawn frowny face. So...um...thanks for being honest? I guess?

DH once hired a 17-year-old part time counter girl/donut finisher at the bakery. When he interviewed her, he SPECIFICALLY EMPHASIZED that her schedule involved working weekends and she must be available to work Sundays. He asked her up front if it would cause problems with her missing Sunday School and/or church - if so, he could not hire her for the position. She said, oh no, it wouldn't be a problem. Then, the first Sunday she was scheduled, she informed him that she could only work until 10:00 because her mother was "picking her up for church". Then the mother came in and griped to DH about daughter having to work Sunday because she needed to go to church and spend time with her family, and she didn't like finishing donuts and waiting on customers, she'd really like to do cake decorating. The bakery already had two cake decorators - what they needed was a weekend counter girl. Another thing daughter didn't like doing was cleaning the cases at the end of the day and mopping. Mom thought they should just teach this kid to be a cake decorator and tailor a position for her. She only lasted a month.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:25 AM

88,734 posts, read 85,080,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
OK - so we had our first egg hunt. Our friends did one in their yard because most places start at age 3. All of our kids are 15 months to just under 2 years. I was shocked that they actually picked up the eggs. We were allowed to hold their bags but not pick anything up. LOL. They cleared the yard and it was absolutely adorable. They were little plastic eggs with a mini granola bar or an Easter tattoo. There were also some of those squeazy bath toys scattered around. How could you ever let something so precious turn ugly?
This sounds as if it was so much fun for everyone, but I did laugh at "mini granola bar". Poor kids, don't know they're missing out on mini Reese's Peanut Butter Cups or Snickers. Ah well, in a few years you won't be able to pull that one off anymore!

Old 04-01-2012, 03:46 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,128,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
This sounds as if it was so much fun for everyone, but I did laugh at "mini granola bar". Poor kids, don't know they're missing out on mini Reese's Peanut Butter Cups or Snickers. Ah well, in a few years you won't be able to pull that one off anymore!
LOL - nut allergies! Mine might be allergic to peanuts so I had to take his peanut butter eggs. I'll keep them safe for him. Well, the wrappers anyway! But those quaker granola bars are more like candy than some candy I've had! I got him some plain chocolate eggs too for his little basket. But I love this age where he seems to think plain yogurt is a treat. YUCK! But he loves his new little bath toys. And he's really entertained by tattoos. I think big prizes really just would ruin it.

But when we got home he sat right down and opened all of his eggs while he ate a granola bar. He was so cute I could just die. They really do "get" this younger than I would have thought. And the Easter Bunny was there!!

Old 04-01-2012, 06:41 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,213,019 times
This is more about Easter egg hunts than helicopter parents but here goes:

Once when we were visiting out of town friends for Easter I decided to do an egg hunt (mainly) for the children of our friends (ages 3 and 6) as my children were older (ages 8 and 12). There were several older friends of the family (women in their 60s and 70s) there who said that they had never been to an Easter egg hunt so I decided to include everyone. Since there were now 4 children and 3 adults looking for eggs I said that they could only pick up 4 eggs each (except for the two youngest children). One of the older women must not of heard me and cheerfully started to pick up and put in her basket as many eggs as she could find. I had put eggs in trees and on higher objects so that the older women wouldn't have to bend down. Lucinda kept happily finding more and more eggs and my children and the other two older adults stopped looking for eggs and just watched her because we were so amazed at how happy and persistant she was.

Lucinda was "tickled pink" to end up with about a dozen or so plastic eggs filled with small treats. No one had the heart to tell her that she had more than her share of eggs because she was so happy. This was about 15 years ago and she still ocassionally talks about the time that she was so lucky in finding all of those eggs.

All of us are glad that we were able to share in her fun experience.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:58 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,861,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
This is more about Easter egg hunts than helicopter parents but here goes:

Once when we were visiting out of town friends for Easter I decided to do an egg hunt (mainly) for the children of our friends (ages 3 and 6) as my children were older (ages 8 and 12). There were several older friends of the family (women in their 60s and 70s) there who said that they had never been to an Easter egg hunt so I decided to include everyone. Since there were now 4 children and 3 adults looking for eggs I said that they could only pick up 4 eggs each (except for the two youngest children). One of the older women must not of heard me and cheerfully started to pick up and put in her basket as many eggs as she could find. I had put eggs in trees and on higher objects so that the older women wouldn't have to bend down. Lucinda kept happily finding more and more eggs and my children and the other two older adults stopped looking for eggs and just watched her because we were so amazed at how happy and persistant she was.

Lucinda was "tickled pink" to end up with about a dozen or so plastic eggs filled with small treats. No one had the heart to tell her that she had more than her share of eggs because she was so happy. This was about 15 years ago and she still ocassionally talks about the time that she was so lucky in finding all of those eggs.

All of us are glad that we were able to share in her fun experience.
Awww...that's such a sweet story!! My mother's sister was mentally ill and lived with us while I was growing up. They had a rough childhood and missed out on typical 'kid' things. Around Halloween one year my aunt said in passing that she'd never been on a hay ride.

My parents took their old pickup and filled the back with hay. They collected all the kids (there were six in the family), a radio, and a bunch of picnic food and loaded everyone up for a hayride around the neighborhood. The neighbors must have thought we were nuts, but my aunt loved it.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:45 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,151,159 times
I've seen this happen at Easter Egg Hunts and parades. There are a few parades that throw candy and other goodies, and specifically aim it towards kids. I've seen the whole family, 2 parents and one or more older kids, run up to grab the items, while the toddler is still standing in the watching area. I now refuse to stand near families with toddler or early elementary age kids during parades, well, except for at Disney World.

Boy, the stories I could tell about the kids now in their early 20s, who are beyond entitled "snowflakes," thanks to helicopter parenting.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:42 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,853,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
It extends into the work place. A family member runs a large department at a large firm that hires many 20 somethings fresh out of college. He's told me many a story about Mom calling him when they feel like their son is not being treated well or gotten the raise / promotion.

Can you imagine your mom calling your boss to complain ?
If either of my parents calls my employer, I will move to a different state and not tell them my address. After you reach adulthood, it is your fault if you have nutty parents "helicoptering" you.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:50 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,497,736 times
Well, I am bringing this thread back as a result ofthe terrible tragedy involving the 12 yr old in New Jersey....
She was riding her bike to a friends' house, perfectly safe, right?
Apparently not, she was found 5 blocks from her home in a recycling bin....
What about the little girl in CO who was going to meet her friends and never made it?
Call me a helicopter parent, say I am sheltering my kids too much, say whatever you want..
My children are 10 & 6 and they will not be allowed to walk to a friends home that I cannot see from my house, they will not be allowed to walk to school on their own ( we are walkers...) or ride their bikes out of my site....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting