Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 01:51 PM

672 posts, read 2,114,711 times

Advertisements

I've heard that some people switch their birthday celebrations to the middle of summer because December/early January is just a crazy time. It's terrible because the birthday party because just one more darn chore in December. In June or July, I could really make it a celebration. If I had a child born near Christmas, I think I would switch the celebration to the middle of summer and always have a . and 5 candles to add to age candle

Old 12-17-2011, 01:56 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,761,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
Did you have a separate birthday celebration planned for him that they knew about?

If not, it's up to you to set that precedent. Let them know so that they'll have plenty of advance notice for next year and years to come (and this year if it's not too late) that you will have two distinct celebrations.

Be careful what you ask for though. You may, down the road, find yourself wishing to do a joint gift yourself for economic reasons. You could make birthday celebrations distinctive in other ways so that it's not solely about purchased gifts.
Yes, the party is later today, however as I stated earlier in the thread, none of my family lives anywhere near me. IE: my sister that sparked this thread is in California, while I am in Florida.

Old 12-17-2011, 03:12 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,669,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
Yes, the party is later today, however as I stated earlier in the thread, none of my family lives anywhere near me. IE: my sister that sparked this thread is in California, while I am in Florida.
Not even a birthday card? Are you upset that he didn't get a separate gift or that she didn't bother to separately acknowledge his birthday?

Just about anyone can afford to buy a card, put a stamp on it and mail it. Just about anyone can afford to throw 5 bucks in with a birthday card for a little kid even at Christmas time - when he's a little older he would be thrilled with that.

There really is no excuse for family members to be unprepared for your son's birthday - they have a whole year after all. However, they won't think about how absurd it is to blow off his birthday, combining it with Christmas, unless you make them think about it. People can be insensitive and not realize it.

How hard would it be to say to your family members, "I want my son's birthday to be special but I'm afraid it won't be since it's so close to Christmas. What can we do to make sure it's special?" Include them in the solution.

Old 12-17-2011, 05:03 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,325,215 times
Quote:
Am I wrong to be upset that people are just buying a "joint gift" for birthday and christmas for my son? He turns 1 on the 21st and it seems like my family is just buying him one gift. I dont really find that to be fair to the child (especially as he gets older). What can I say or do?

My daughter will turn one on the 30th. I know some people have planned to give her 2 presents, but I'm pretty sure it won't be the case with everyone. It sure doesn't matter this year (she'll probably wonder why she gets stuff) but I too wonder what will happen when she is older...
I guess there's not much we can do, one present is better than nothing, and as long as we, parents, do the right thing...

Old 12-17-2011, 09:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Wow everyone here gets a lot of gifts from a lot of people. I usually only get birthday and Christmas gifts from my parents and sister, and former grandparents. Then it was card from the aunts and uncles.

My best friend has her birthday on the 29th and ALWAYS waits to celebrate it on New Years Eve. The way she looks at it "everyone is out already so why not add my birthday in while they are there"

My birthday sometimes falls on Labor Day weekend those years everyone is out of town. I never celebrate my birthday on my birthday. I can think of 3 times and one was this year. I always celebrate whenever people are free.
I agree! In my family, aunts, uncles, etc do not give big birthday gifts. The gifting is mainly limited to parents and grandparents, siblings when they get a little older.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
My daughter will turn one on the 30th. I know some people have planned to give her 2 presents, but I'm pretty sure it won't be the case with everyone. It sure doesn't matter this year (she'll probably wonder why she gets stuff) but I too wonder what will happen when she is older...
I guess there's not much we can do, one present is better than nothing, and as long as we, parents, do the right thing...
When she gets into school, you can have a party with her school friends, and they will bring gifts. You can make sure that you and your spouse give separate gifts.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:33 PM

88,618 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I can't believe I forgot that my one sister was born on New Year's Eve. Talk about getting the shaft in terms of celebrating your birthday...EVERYONE has other plans that night.

As to people who think a joint gift is appropriate, I suppose if it was something more extravagant than what one would buy for either a birthday or Christmas individually than that is OK. However, if it isn't (and even that is kind of only so-so OK, IMO) then seperate presents should be given. You wouldn't give a birthday gift to a kid who was born in July and tell them that was for Christmas too, why is being born close to the holiday so different?
My bro's girlfriend's birthday is Christmas Eve. He's always sure to get her something that's just for her birthday--smart guy.

This is all just a result of bad family planning. I suspect it has a lot to do with too much green beer or Irish Whiskey on March 17th,

Old 12-18-2011, 06:41 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,557,277 times
Quote:
Am I wrong to be upset that people are just buying a "joint gift" for birthday and christmas for my son? He turns 1 on the 21st and it seems like my family is just buying him one gift. I dont really find that to be fair to the child (especially as he gets older). What can I say or do? I'm tempted to buy them a "joint gift" even if their birthday is in April :P
Yes, you are wrong. He's one. HE DOESN'T CARE.

My dd's birthday is December 24th. The upside is no one forgets her birthday. Neither she nor I care if she simply gets a bigger Christmas present. What she doesn't like is not having her own day since the family celebrates Christmas eve not Christmas day (due to Christmas being my nieces birthday).

If you want a separate day and separate gifts, then celebrate 1/4, half or 3/4 birthday's. My neice has her party on September 25th each year. My dd doesn't seem to mind her birthday being celebrated on Christmas eve day. We do cake and ice cream for breakfast and she opens her gifts in the morning.

You will find that, until he's about 5 or 6, all the presents between birthday and Christmas is overwhelming. The year dd turned 2, she opened her last Christmas gift in February. She'd just had enough of presents by Christmas morning so it sat in the corner and waited for her to open it. So, dual gifts aren't a big deal at this age. Later, when he's old enough to care, you need to let relatives know that his birthday needs to be separate so he has his own day.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:52 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,679,388 times
My dh's birthday is on the 28th and my dd's birthday is on the 29th. I always tried to make their birthdays special because of their proximity to Christmas. (Also my dh's stories about getting a toy for Christmas and the batteries for the toy on his birthday we're enough to make me cringe, but that's another story.) When kids are very young they don't care about the gifts, but when they get older they realize that joint gifts are a "gyp" and it hurts their feelings. I wish you well.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:15 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,729,361 times
For starters.... you are your child's parent and are basically, the only one who is even obligated to get him anything! My hubby and I both have birthdays in December (16th & 20th). We hated the fact that we didn't get "birthdays". We do birthdays around here for each other. YOU shouldn't combine them, but no one else is obligated to get him something extra....especially at a time of year when they are already tapped out getting presents for so many other people. Be grateful your family even gets your child Christmas gifts.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:16 AM

313 posts, read 728,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I don't know why your daughter couldn't go to a restaurant on Christmas Day and get a sundae, assuming you could find one open. Usually it's the fast food places and such that are open on holidays, anyway. You could take a family trip to Disneyland if you wanted.

Ever drive around on Christmas and notice how many restaurants are closed?? All of her favorites, anyway. She is 13, she is beyond fast food Ronald McDonald birthdays.

I did not know this until I looked into it, but it turns out that Christmas Day is the single busiest day of the year for Disneyland. It is a complete zoo. They often stop selling tickets by 9 or 10 a.m. due to being at capacity. The few people I know who have braved it said it was a nightmare of a day, literally too crowded to walk much of the time and up to 2 or 3 hours of line per ride. Second most busy - New Year's Eve!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.