Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 05:53 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,206,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwind15 View Post
A few years ago Disneyland ran a promotion, get in free on your birthday. She would have had to give up family Christmas to do it!
If it's any consolation Disney got a whole bunch of complaints about that promotion. People complained because their birthday was on a Tuesday and Tuesday wasn't convenient.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:47 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,853,952 times
I posted somewhere else about a similar thing yesterday. I have 1-2 family birthday parties to go to every day in December. Of course this is a busy time of year anyways, but I go to every one of them and act like it is the only birthday in December. It is exhausting, but I think that everyone deserves to have at least one day to be about just them. It isn't their fault that their birthday happens to fall right in the middle of the holidays and surrounded by a million other holidays. To me it is important to let each person know that we appreciate them no matter when they happened to be born.

I also make sure their birthday gift is wrapped in birthday paper and not Christmas paper. Both of my parents' birthdays are next week. There was only one year that I gave them a joint Birthday/Christmas gift. I gave them a weekend away at a resort. The fact that it was such a big gift made up for the fact that it was a joint gift. I would never consider giving my dad a shirt and saying that was a joint gift. I always go out of my way to make sure they get separate gifts.

However, for a 1 year old I would probably consider giving a joint gift. I know when my DD was that age I already had so much stuff that I didn't want any more. I asked people to do a joint gift (her birthday is in November) or just donate to her college fund. My sister got a big box of diapers, and a box of cheerios for her and wrapped them up. They were actually DD's favorite gifts. As she got older, I separated them out more. A 1 year old doesn't know the difference and that may be what your sister was thinking.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:08 PM

758 posts, read 1,873,124 times
Friends of ours have twins whose birthday is in Dec. They have their birthday party in July. Sounds crazy but the girls were always bummed that they couldn't have an outdoor, fun party so they decided to do it in July. I wonder also if the combined gifts factored into that decision.

At first I thought it was odd but I figured what the heck, as long as they are not asking for more gifts from me on their real birthday, then it doesn't matter when they decide to throw the party.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:13 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,867,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skahar View Post
Friends of ours have twins whose birthday is in Dec. They have their birthday party in July. Sounds crazy but the girls were always bummed that they couldn't have an outdoor, fun party so they decided to do it in July. I wonder also if the combined gifts factored into that decision.

At first I thought it was odd but I figured what the heck, as long as they are not asking for more gifts from me on their real birthday, then it doesn't matter when they decide to throw the party.
That's funny! One year my daughter had an ice skating party (obviously indoor) for her 4th of July birthday. Not on the 4th, but close.

Old 12-17-2011, 04:29 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,330,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
If it's any consolation Disney got a whole bunch of complaints about that promotion. People complained because their birthday was on a Tuesday and Tuesday wasn't convenient.
OMG that is so funny. And kind of sad.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:03 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,853,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
We actually got to take advantage of that promotion. I always said I wanted to take DD to Disney World when she was 5. I thought she would appreciate seeing it for the first time at that age. Lucky us, her 5th birthday was the year they ran that promotion. Her birthday was on a Monday, so we just took a long weekend. 2 years later and she still talks about it all of the time.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:27 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,295,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
By the way, my post has absolutely NOTHING to do with his age right now, I'm trying to prevent this from happening in the future when he CAN understand the difference is all.
Can you predict the future??

Old 12-17-2011, 08:52 AM

2,719 posts, read 5,361,923 times
Quote:
By the way, my post has absolutely NOTHING to do with his age right now, I'm trying to prevent this from happening in the future when he CAN understand the difference is all.
You said you were "hurt" when she said "both" about the gift so obviously it's affecting you now.

If you change your story and say it really is not bothering you at this moment, then why stress about something that's a few years down the road? How do you know what will happen when the child is older? You're assuming that because a single gift is being sent when your child doesn't understand the difference that this is a sign of things to come in the future?

I could see being upset if the kid was 5 and saying "How come I only got Christmas presents but no birthday presents..." then you could find a way to gently address that but you are not even there yet.

Just seems like a waste of time fretting over something that might not even happen.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:45 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,840,342 times
Wow everyone here gets a lot of gifts from a lot of people. I usually only get birthday and Christmas gifts from my parents and sister, and former grandparents. Then it was card from the aunts and uncles.

My best friend has her birthday on the 29th and ALWAYS waits to celebrate it on New Years Eve. The way she looks at it "everyone is out already so why not add my birthday in while they are there"

My birthday sometimes falls on Labor Day weekend those years everyone is out of town. I never celebrate my birthday on my birthday. I can think of 3 times and one was this year. I always celebrate whenever people are free.

Old 12-17-2011, 01:23 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,669,511 times
Quote:
Am I wrong to be upset that people are just buying a "joint gift" for birthday and christmas for my son? He turns 1 on the 21st and it seems like my family is just buying him one gift. I dont really find that to be fair to the child (especially as he gets older). What can I say or do? I'm tempted to buy them a "joint gift" even if their birthday is in April :P
Did you have a separate birthday celebration planned for him that they knew about?

If not, it's up to you to set that precedent. Let them know so that they'll have plenty of advance notice for next year and years to come (and this year if it's not too late) that you will have two distinct celebrations.

Be careful what you ask for though. You may, down the road, find yourself wishing to do a joint gift yourself for economic reasons. You could make birthday celebrations distinctive in other ways so that it's not solely about purchased gifts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting