Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2011, 08:34 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,962,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I don't like the new cleaning tools. They make me fearful because they sound like drills. Has anyone else's dentist started using them yet?
Yes - for some reason, that doesn't bother me. I do have an amazing hygienist. She knows my fear issues. I think she's always shocked I show up for an appointment and didn't come up with a lame excuse.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:37 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,485,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Mine either (grilled, that is)! Grilled onions are heaven on Earth. I couldn't marry someone that didn't like onions at all. How can you cook without onions?!!!
See jk's answer below.....I either have to chop them up very small and hide all evidence or leave them in large enough pieces for him to pick out...

Quote:
I grew up without using novacaine, never had novacaine until I was in my late 20s. I had fillings and teeth pulled without anything. Now that I've finally used novacaine, I'm not sure I'd ever go back to having work done without it.

I don't like the new cleaning tools. They make me fearful because they sound like drills. Has anyone else's dentist started using them yet?
Mine has - the sound doesn't bother me - but if they hit a nerve - yowza..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
You can't! Which is why my DH has to resort to picking them out. I refuse to cook without them. If they are chopped up small in something he doesn't care. But if they can be picked out, he will. Crazy.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:39 AM

13,471 posts, read 9,978,156 times
Hang on... mm, did you say Sept 19th was National Talk Like A Pirate Day??

Now why didja go and post something like that, me hearty? If MrFR sees that we're done for on that day. Done for I say! Arg!

Old 08-03-2011, 08:42 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,485,720 times
The Official site for International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19

Yes...I'm a font of useless information and trivia. Which makes me a decent player of Jeopardy! and Trivial Pursuit...but that's about it...LOL

Old 08-03-2011, 08:45 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,962,517 times
I think you can change your "language" on facebook to different versions of pirate.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:51 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,580,094 times
Greetings from the beach! Wish you were here!

We had to get up super early and go for a swim as it is supposed to get hellaciously hot later. We may have to hit the movies or indulge in shark week.

Onions, Backyardigans, and speaking in Pirate, I think I'm caught up. I love that language setting on FB.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:57 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,980,616 times
Beach! I want the beach! Wish I was Zimbo right now. I hate living in a landlocked area. Lakes just don't cut it.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:08 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,201,482 times
Quote:
I don't know anyone who likes going to the dentist. I have been getting a lot of work done over the past months. I can't wait until we're done.

We've been trying to encourage DS to go the sedation route because he has severe fear but the idea of not being conscious freaks him out too.
Dd has a prescription for Xanax right before her appointment. It takes the edge off without knocking her out.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:10 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,201,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
We must be on similar food wavelengths Mattie. I was thinking Italian for dinner also. Not marinara but Italian sausage with peppers and onions. My sausage will be of the turkey variety though and I'll have to include something additional for DH since he doesn't care for onions .
It's the day for it. Cheese ravioli baked with a florentine sauce tonight. We do vegetarian about 2-3 nights a week.

Quote:
Mine either (grilled, that is)! Grilled onions are heaven on Earth. I couldn't marry someone that didn't like onions at all. How can you cook without onions?!!!
Grilled Vidalias are a gift from the Gods. Despite what my heathen 13yo thinks. He can pick them out, too.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:12 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,979,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Things I learned today:

I don't know squat about parenting lingo. I should never have said, "Good job!" even when they did a good job. I should have told my children to pick their own punishments. Self esteem comes after accomplishments. Or maybe it's the other way around. I'm so confused. I don't know how smart girls buy birthday drinks. I was an idiot because I didn't read massive numbers of parenting books. (Silly me. I asked my mother. Or grandmother. What did they know? They didn't have the internet. How did they learn anything?)

I'm kind of proud of myself because I didn't kiss my kids' butts. At least I don't think I did. I may have. But those little buns were so cute! OK, sometimes they were dirty and smelly. But I think that was a result of my feeding them when they were hungry. Turns out they may have needed a massage. Why didn't I get a massage? I get cranky at night!

But it all works out because this is America and there is a gut mall on every corner. Or maybe it's a butt mall. I told you guys I can't spell.

Night all. Tomorrow is another day. Unless they don't raise the debt ceiling. In which case I may move to Bondi Beach. Where I'll force myself to look at hot gods in Speedos.
That's just it. You DON'T pay for your own drinks. You get someone else to get you drinks, after all it is your birthday. My waitress at applebee's literally was feeding me shots and started chanting SHOT SHOT SHOT with my friends and they were all free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Txt, it's very hard to applaud your exhausting efforts at fitting in job-hunting around parties and sunbathing when the best that can be said is "it's better than before". The fact that you're "paying your bills" without income just means other people aren't holding you responsible for things like house payments, electric bills, and retirement plans. A cell phone payment isn't a bill, it's a toy.
At 22, I was employed full-time in a hospital and about to have Eldest. At 22, one of my daughters had graduated from college and was starting her first job, and her sister was serving our country in the military. My dh was starting grad school at 22. OTOH, my 13yo is playing with his cell phone and hanging out at the pool with his buds because...well, he's a child.
If you're not interested in growing up yet and can figure out a way to avoid having to-- which apparently you have-- good on ya. By all means, go for it. Just don't expect to sit at the Grownup Table without suffering well-meant advice and some headpats.
But I'm not out partying. Like I said ive been in bed by 9 or 10 every night and up at 5 and finally out of bed by 6:45ish when TG leaves to walk to work(like less than 100ft from his place), the other day I slept in and that meant waking up naturally at like 5 and then falling back asleep off and on till 10am.
I've gone to the pool like 4-5 times in the past month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post

I think txt (and prob many others her age) don't know what it means to be grown up. I think they want the freedom part of it without the work and bill part of it. It just doesn't work that way, at least not for very long. And there is no way my parents would have allowed me to live rent-free in their house at age 22 with no job and no school.
Like I said its not even like I really even live here.
And I have just enough money left for police academy and I am not spending it on more college classes and then it comes time for police academy and not having money for it.
And I will have a job soon so it will be ok, I'll be working, it won't be an issue anymore.

I don't mind working. I don't mind having a job but I should probably be making more money than my 17 year old brother, since after all I have stuff I do have to pay for and he doesn't.

Quote:
Yes. I don't know whether my mum would have allowed it or not, it was never even a consideration.

My bewilderment stems from this: Why on earth would anybody WANT to live that life? Good lawd, I can but lust over the drive and energy of myself at that age, these days. If you don't have any fire in your belly at 22, when the fug are you going to get some?

To be miserable and constantly complaining about your wont yet never doing anything about it at an age when you have all the gumption in the universe to do it is just beyond my comprehension.
It's not that I WANT to live like this but I have made it work and I haven't fallen behind on my bills.
And a bill is a bill, its not like I can just up and stop paying for my cell phone because you guys deem it unnecessary and it cost $200 to get out of my contract. Plus, I don't have a home phone to use and I am never home either. I am not home at night and I usually come home at 7am and then leave again by 10am or 11am.

Anyways, as soon as I get a job that pays enough I will be ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.