Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2011, 02:11 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times

Advertisements

They may not be doing much hiring. Hard to say. I was just in there the other day with DD looking at phones. They literally had 5 salespeople in the cell phone section and no customers.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:41 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Last year I applied to Best Buy. It was hell getting ahold of the lady I was suppose to talk to. It was always "call at X time and we'll talk" or whatever and I would call and it would always be one thing or another, with a customer, GM was in the building, out at lunch, she had just left......
I reapplied the other day, I get a call back from this same lady, AGAIN I call and she tells me she'll have to call me back in a few hours. Thing is she won't call me back in a few hours and I'll end up calling and she'll be gone for the day or whatever.

How do you work through that?
I'm going to keep going after this position this time but I already want to pull my hair out!
Is there anything as a interviewee can do to make this run smoother?
If it were me, I'd stop in the store and track her down---saying I thought I'd say hello while I was there to buy something. Even if she doesn't have time to talk that moment, it's a chance to leave an impression. I would only do this since you already have experience with being unable to reach her. Some managers are very disorganized and it takes extra hoops to get around that.

I also HIGHLY recommend that you don't allow yourself to miss phone calls while you are job searching. All of this could have been avoided if you had simply answered your phone. Take it into the shower with you if you have to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
They may not be doing much hiring. Hard to say. I was just in there the other day with DD looking at phones. They literally had 5 salespeople in the cell phone section and no customers.
Well, the woman did call txt. That's an indication they're hiring. Txt needs to make sure someone else isn't luckier at reaching her first.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:44 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,852,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Num, had to stop and and tell you how much I appreciated your comments about letting your kids graze off of the plates of strangers at restaurants. Totally made my day , although things were looking up with Dew's full-Mormon wear comment. We live at the top of a steep driveway. Nobody climbs it without a darn good reason. Mormon and 7th Day-er free here.

I have a vent I need to let go. Why do people hear something completely outrageous and then post it on Facebook, or send out multiple emails, without at least making sure it's true? Huh? I must know too many idiots.

Did a quick Costco run, just to make sure they still had cream puffs (a yup), and picked up a new inhaler for DS. What used to cost about $15.00 is now almost $40 after the co-pay. I told him if he loses it or sends it into the washing machine again we will have words.

MM, happy DS is sounding more chipper. Preggo CD'ers, put your feet up. It's wine time for me.
I am glad you enjoyed it. If people can exaggerate or just make things up, so can I. I can have fun while doing it also. lol. I thought that the C-D Moms Who Rock would enjoy that.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:45 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,975,086 times
Quote:
When I applied I went in to talk to a manager about my application and what happened last time and he took down my name and number.
He told me they were really hiring right now and DEFINITELY hiring two people over in the cell phone department.

It's really annoying. She said she'd call me back in a few hours to do a phone interview but based on my experience with this store, that won't be happening and if it does and I get this phone interview done today I will be shocked.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:46 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Two! Two CE units done! (read like the Count from Sesame Street is saying this)

Old 08-11-2011, 02:49 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
When I applied I went in to talk to a manager about my application and what happened last time and he took down my name and number.
He told me they were really hiring right now and DEFINITELY hiring two people over in the cell phone department.

It's really annoying. She said she'd call me back in a few hours to do a phone interview but based on my experience with this store, that won't be happening and if it does and I get this phone interview done today I will be shocked.
Then get dressed appropriately and go over there in person and see if she's available. Just say that you've noticed that you keep missing each other and thought it might be more convenient if you stopped by. Look professional. Be prepared and well spoken.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:51 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
It's wine time for me.
Good for you! We have a steep driveway too. I'm thinking it's not loooong enough.

I'm beginning to get a complex that my Costco doesn't have cream puffs.

And good news on the battery MM! Very happy for you!

Old 08-11-2011, 02:52 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,956,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I also HIGHLY recommend that you don't allow yourself to miss phone calls while you are job searching. All of this could have been avoided if you had simply answered your phone. Take it into the shower with you if you have to.
txt I agree with Hopes. That phone should never go to voicemail. You are trying to get a job right now where you are competing against a lot of other people. The missed phone call could be the difference between you getting the job or not.

You don't pick up the phone, she calls the next number on her list.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:53 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,852,587 times
I would just like to apologize to Julia. I don't know what is wrong with me today. I am like a toddler in a restaurant. I just can't control myself.

Will someone please take me outside until I can control myself?

ETA: Good news about the battery MM. Glad it wasn't something worse.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:53 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,975,086 times
Quote:
Then get dressed appropriately and go over there in person and see if she's available. Just say that you've noticed that you keep missing each other and thought it might be more convenient if you stopped by. Look professional. Be prepared and well spoken.
Yeah but I just called her today and talked to her and she said she would call me in a few hours, should I show up anyways even though she already said she would call me? Which should be in less than an hour or so. Hopefully by 4.

I don't want to come off as too pushy or anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.