Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2011, 08:57 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,852,587 times

Advertisements

lol at the binky thing. I think that is the "never" that is broken by the most parents. I know some parents actually never use them, but a lot of people do and I don't know anyone who goes into parenthood thinking they will use them.

The first time I shoved a binky in DD's mouth, we were still in the hospital. The nurses said that they had never seen a sucking reflex like hers. She wanted to suck on everything that came near her even when she was full. When she became jaundiced before we were released, we gave in. She needed a comforter while staying under the lights and I figured I could always take the binky away later. I really didn't want to chop off her fingers later. lol. She was attached to that binky. If it fell out while in the car, you had to pull over and shove one in her mouth.

One day when she was about 6 months old, we were getting in the car and I tried to put it in her mouth before we left. She spit it right back out. Sometimes she would play this game, so I shoved it back in. She kept shoving it back out. I gave up and thought I would probably have to pull over in just a couple of minutes to put it in, but I didn't. She was suddenly just done with binkys. I was so lucky that there was no battle to break the habit.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:27 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Well, nobody came in last night and cleaned the neighborhood. How rude is that, lol? Things are still a mess for the most part but at least most of the dust is out of the air.

Today will be dusting in between what work I need to get done. Hoping all the bad backs are feeling better today.

UPDATE: The street sweeper just went by. They are actually cleaning the street! Happy dance!!

Last edited by DewDropInn; 07-07-2011 at 10:38 AM..

Old 07-07-2011, 12:24 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Num, same here. One son never wanted a binky. The other kept throwing them so I gave up. Thankful to not have to break that habit later.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:47 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times
Here are some Erma Bombeck quotes to brighten your day. She's invited to my fantasy dinner party.

Quote:
My kids always perceived the bathroom as a place where you wait it out until all the groceries are unloaded from the car.

Somewhere it is written that parents who are critical of other people's children and publicly admit they can do better are asking for it.

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

If you can't make it better, you can laugh at it.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:07 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Thanks, Julia. She's one of my favorites.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:15 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,956,884 times
The first one made me really laugh.... how they magically appear once the groceries are in - to then look through what you bought to see if there is anything good.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:17 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
The first one made me really laugh.... how they magically appear once the groceries are in - to then look through what you bought to see if there is anything good.
LOL - first thing DS looks for is a bag of Flamin'Hot Cheeto Puffs

Old 07-07-2011, 01:22 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
That's my middle daughter! I tell her that if she doesn't help me, she can't look. She always asks if I bought chips ... no, I didn't buy chips!

Old 07-07-2011, 02:53 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times
Yup, that first one is the story of my life! DH is always on the phone, and the others hop in the shower when they hear me coming up the street. One of these days I swear I will just remove the cold foods and wait them out on the rest.

I am in the process of making tomato pies right now. We have had a bumper crop this year, and I am determined to eat every single juicy one!

Old 07-07-2011, 03:02 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,852,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Yup, that first one is the story of my life! DH is always on the phone, and the others hop in the shower when they hear me coming up the street. One of these days I swear I will just remove the cold foods and wait them out on the rest.
I broke that habit by bringing in all of the boring food (ground beef, chicken, vegetables) and left all of the fun food in the car. I left ice cream, chips, chocolate milk and anything that could be considered fun in the van which was parked in the sun, in FL, in the summer. I walked in, they scattered like cockroaches. I said "I'm home from the store. Please unload the car." I got no response. I yelled out "by the way, the ice cream and chips are still in the car and I am not getting them. If they aren't in the house in the next 3 minutes, I will get them and toss them straight into the trash outside." My van was unloaded in 3 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.