Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2011, 04:42 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,864 times

Advertisements

Zim, I knew you'd come through!

Old 07-06-2011, 04:43 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Are you available for hire? Consultations maybe? One of ours has some serious matts going on but if you even open the sissors drawer he hides under the bed.
Yes, I'll come straight away. Although I have to warn you, he might end up Emo. Or Goth. Or Justin Beiber.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:45 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Ha! That's awful! Poor Bridget (and coop). That's way worse. Is she embarrassed too? And Mrcoop has to rig something up, to boot. That's hysterical.

MrFR and I have a long standing understanding that if he ever takes our dog to the groomer and lets them give him a haircut (again) he's getting a divorce. A divorce, I say!
At one point I told him to just stop and I'd take her somewhere. He was determined. Kept saying if he just got the right clippers.....

Old 07-06-2011, 04:46 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Ha- that cracked me up!

When I first moved over here to Parenting, I recall getting into a disagreement with a few of you re: the same poster - what you said then about this being a recurring pattern of complaints/inaction makes SOOOOOO much more sense several months later.

I remember - it really is something you have to have fully experienced to understand - otherwise, who'd believe it? You were just not fully indocrinated yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post

I've been gone all day. Looks like I have some catching up to do. I got 4 reps from a certain other thread earlier. Looks like I said what several people are thinking.
I bet I know to which thread you're referring.....

Old 07-06-2011, 04:48 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Zimbochick rocks!

Zimbochick rocks!

Say it loud and say it proud!

Old 07-06-2011, 04:52 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,851,624 times
Oh man. she beat me to it. Teaches me to search for it before I read the whole thread. lol

And, not quite as fun but:

Old 07-06-2011, 05:03 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Haha! You guys are sweet (and crazy!)

And yes, it takes a bit of getting used to figuring out how to deal with the "Special Snowflakes" that frequent the "Parenting" board . I haven't had the energy or inclination to read many of the provocative threads, they are not designed to generate interesting discussion or debate, IMO, merely to inflame. I'll pass.

We had a great day visiting some of the local plantation homes. DS had studied a lot of local history this year, so he gave the guides and mental workout!

Tomorrow we are headed to Tennessee to the aquarium, should be fun.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:17 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,851,624 times
One thing I am really tired of hearing in this forum is the word "never". I am more of a never say never kind of person, but on this forum I hear "never" so many times every day that it is hard to count. I am sure about a lot of things in life, but I know better than to say words like "never" or "guarantee". I can't guarantee that I will do a favor for you because I can't even guarantee that I will be alive in 5 minutes. I won't say that I will never do something or let my child do something because parenting is so unpredicitble that you don't know what you might do some day.

Things I am tired of hearing (especially from people who haven't had kids yet):
  • My child will never act up in public
  • I guarantee I will never use a leash on a child
  • I will never treat my kids the way my mom treated me (I hear my mom's words coming out of my mouth all of the time)
  • I would never let my child be xx before he was potty trained
  • I could never leave my child in a hot car (almost happened to me)

and of course a million others. Any of you have any "nevers" to add? It kind of feels good to get it out.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:36 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Num - I would never say never!

In all seriousness it's easy to be very judgemental when a person has not yet had children , or if your children have not gone through specific experiences or stages. I have ideas about how I might handle things, but when issues have arisen in the past, those preconceived notions tend to go straight out the window.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:43 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Num - I would never say never!

In all seriousness it's easy to be very judgemental when a person has not yet had children , or if your children have not gone through specific experiences or stages. I have ideas about how I might handle things, but when issues have arisen in the past, those preconceived notions tend to go straight out the window.
Yep....I can remember a few years back there was a poster here who was pregnant and a professional and she was adamant that she would keep working and that it just wasn't that difficult. She wasn't condescending or anything (in fact, quite nice) but she was absolutely sure of how things would be. I don't think that baby was a year old before I saw a post where she had decided to stay home for awhile. You just can't know how it will be until you cross that bridge yourself.

We just got absolutely poured on! I'm hoping for Dew's sake they got something. But then I wonder if it would just end up being a muddy mess.... Our niece lives in Phoenix and I've checked on facebook to see if she's mentioned anything...nothing so far. Such an interesting phenomenon though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting