Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2011, 09:43 PM

970 posts, read 2,213,291 times

Advertisements

I don't know how hot it was today because I hung out inside the house with the air conditioning!

Old 06-26-2011, 09:50 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passwithoutatrace View Post
I don't know how hot it was today because I hung out inside the house with the air conditioning!
We haven't turned our airconditioning on yet this year. We like to see how long we can tough it out. Last year, we made it until mid August.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
We haven't turned our airconditioning on yet this year. We like to see how long we can tough it out. Last year, we made it until mid August.
We have a wall unit instead of central air and it's not too expensive to run. I figure if I can afford it I want to be comfortable We also have 2 dogs and 2 cats who appreciate the air!

Old 06-26-2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passwithoutatrace View Post
We have a wall unit instead of central air and it's not too expensive to run. I figure if I can afford it I want to be comfortable We also have 2 dogs and 2 cats who appreciate the air!
It's not the money for us. If we use the air conditioner, we don't go outside and enjoy the summer. By keeping the airconditioning turned off, our bodies adjust to the hotter temperatures and we enjoy outdoor activities much more.

My body doesn't handle temperature changes well. My natural comfort zone is 68 to 72 degrees. Anything colder and hotter is uncomfortable. By not using the airconditioning, I slowly become more comfortable in hotter weather. The same applies to not using the furnace in the fall until absolutely necessary.

If I didn't do this and used the furnace or airconditioner for constant comfort, my body would never adjust and I'd never go outside. (Even you said that you stayed inside all day today! )

For us, it's all about adjusting to the seasonable temperature changes so we don't spend our lives indoors. Granted, this wouldn't work well for people who live in extreme regions where temps are over 100 early in the season.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:09 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,487,793 times
Hopes, I know exactly what you mean. It's my one and only gripe about the US in the summer... that aircon in stores, restaurants, hotels etc. is set SO cool that I have to take a sweater out with me, even on days where it's 110F! My body simply cannot cope with the change in temperature from the outside to the inside!

Here in my little part of the Land of Oz, our temps can also get up to 100 or more, but our public buildings don't set their aircon temps quite so low... thus going inside does provide relief from the heat, but not to the extent you need to don a sweater. I don't run my aircon 24/7 ever (and I don't know anyone here who does) and never set it below about 80 degrees.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:31 PM

Quote:
It's not the money for us. If we use the air conditioner, we don't go outside and enjoy the summer. By keeping the airconditioning turned off, our bodies adjust to the hotter temperatures and we enjoy outdoor activities much more.

My body doesn't handle temperature changes well. My natural comfort zone is 68 to 72 degrees. Anything colder and hotter is uncomfortable. By not using the airconditioning, I slowly become more comfortable in hotter weather. The same applies to not using the furnace in the fall until absolutely necessary.

If I didn't do this and used the furnace or airconditioner for constant comfort, my body would never adjust and I'd never go outside. (Even you said that you stayed inside all day today! )

For us, it's all about adjusting to the seasonable temperature changes so we don't spend our lives indoors. Granted, this wouldn't work well for people who live in extreme regions where temps are over 100 early in the season.
The part about wanting to spend time outside makes sense. I work outside a lot for my job so I get a lot of time in the sun. Some days I want to be lazy inside

Old 06-27-2011, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
Hopes, I know exactly what you mean. It's my one and only gripe about the US in the summer... that aircon in stores, restaurants, hotels etc. is set SO cool that I have to take a sweater out with me, even on days where it's 110F! My body simply cannot cope with the change in temperature from the outside to the inside!

Here in my little part of the Land of Oz, our temps can also get up to 100 or more, but our public buildings don't set their aircon temps quite so low... thus going inside does provide relief from the heat, but not to the extent you need to don a sweater. I don't run my aircon 24/7 ever (and I don't know anyone here who does) and never set it below about 80 degrees.
Yep! I can't stand being in stores that feel cold because I walk into 70 degree air from 90 degrees outside. A 10 degree change is good enough for me.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:36 AM

TK update. I gave him notice to move.

Before we left town on Friday, I told him to plan to move out at the end of August, two months' notice. He said he didn't think that would be enough time. I explained that two months was plenty of time---one month saving security deposit and utility deposits and the second month to save money for first month's rent and utilities. What he is saving each month is what he would be saving if he were living alone (his big dream). If he couldn't do it in two months, he can't afford a place of his own and he'd need to go live at his father's (far away) or make up with his mother and go live with her.

The purpose of living here was to give him a chance to go to school. I made it clear in advance that going to school was a requirement for living here. When he indicated after moving in that he didn't want to continue his education, I told him back then that he would have to move at the end of the summer. I reminded him of that.

Today, he will find out where we stand on curfew. He has been pushing for more freedom, more days he's allowed to stay out after midnight and 1pm. He asked us last week for extra time and I told him we would discuss it with him when we returned from camping. While we were away, hubby brilliantly said he was sick of these constant negotiations. Our rules are our rules, if he doesn't like our rules he's welcome to move. I'll be explaining that to TK when he comes home today.

The stealing has changed my view of him permanently. I just can't get past it. He's super lucky I gave him two months' notice, everyone else kicked him into the street without warning. That's four other households that kicked him out, we're number five. I remember when he was upset about my son not forgiving him for stealing, I told him that some mistakes can't be fixed. TK can't grow up fast enough.

Anyways, it's done. I'm glad I took the time to think it through after he stole. This way he has a learning experience and a chance to take responsibility for himself or make up with his parents.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:45 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Good Morning All!

Hopes - your primary responsibility is to you and your family. You have given TK more chances than anyone else, and probably more than he deserves. It's up to him now to find his way. I don't know how else to say this without being forthright; he has nothing to lose by stealing from you now, I would say supervigilence is called for.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:36 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,027 times
Quote:
We've gone the whole summer as well before. I'll admit I've already turned it on this year. Our upstairs gets so hot and even with the cooler temps at night, it takes until morning to cool down. Being that our bedroom is upstairs, I decided to not be miserable.

That and the dust. Having the hardwood floors now and seeing what was in the old carpet.... We do keep it set on the warmer side. DS is happy as a clam no matter what since his bedroom in now in the basement. He's cool no matter if the ac is on or not.

Hopes - you gave TK more time than I would, that's for sure. I would have a really hard time trusting someone in my house whole stole. I'd be paranoid in my own home. Zim is right - really watch your stuff now.

I didn't do much all weekend. Wasn't feeling great yesterday - possible the mojito from the night before. I remember now I don't like them. Too sweet.

DS and DH went Jeeping Saturday. First time DS ever did the driving. I had a hard time even watching some of the video DH took - yikes! But according to DH he is an amazing job and DS had a blast and is now planning the next outing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.