Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2011, 01:54 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It wasn't meant as nasty. I was simply being honest about how I viewed it. I've heard about other parents who tried to do something similar. Parents do talk.

Unfortunately, that's how other parents often view it. Calling to pick up your child is basically imposing a bedtime rule for another parent's sleepover.

Here's your friend's problem: By calling you, her child misses out on having fun. As MM said, getting to stay up late is part of sleep overs.

IMO, you are being a bit unrealistic in your expectations. Your friend would have called you if she thought it was realistic.

Do you want to hear it from other parents IRL or from us here?

(((((Zimbo)))))

I've had parents bring their kid for the first part of a sleepover, and pick them up at eleven, or somewhere around then. It's not a big deal for me, though usually the kid doesn't want to leave. But I figure if little Hermia's mommy wants her back at eleven instead of taking the night off altogether, she probably has a reason. Some kids just don't do well without a regular bedtime, but still would like to hang with their friends.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:56 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post

I don't think that working at a retail store is exactly what will give one a whole lot of cop related life experience. Just sayin'.
Well, depending on the neighborhood, maybe...

Old 07-24-2011, 11:12 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Morning everyone - or...I guess closer to "afternoon" depending....

Been busy finally doing some paperwork I've been putting off for too long. Such a good feeling to get that done! Also got some bills paid and DS regsitered for school...for the last time! Yikes...hard to believe.

Yesterday DH and I went to see Harry Potter - it was too hot outside to do much else....I wish I had the patience to watch all of those movies in order - I forget too much between movies...It is kind of weird to think it is over...the whole series between books and movies, pretty much ran the course of my kids' childhoods....Enjoyed the movie although it was awfully dark (literally not figuratively)...

Haven't decided what I'm going to do today yet...what about you all? Zimbo how did your scouting event go?

Old 07-24-2011, 11:24 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Good Morning All!

Hi MM - glad you enjoyed the movie. We watched Part I last night in preparation for going to Part II some time. It too was awfully dark on both levels. The boy scout party was too much fun. We ran out of food, and no-one wanted to leave, always a good sign. We had one scalp laceration that needed staples . You know what they say, you know you've had a really fun party when a little blood has been spilled. My charming DH threw a bucket of water over my head (after I pushed him in the pool), and the den gave everyone a water gun, so pretty much everyone was soaked afterwards except for a couple of wimpy moms hiding behind the fence. Fun was had by all .

Old 07-24-2011, 11:31 AM

Sounds like quite a party! Glad it went well....yikes on the head staples though...headwounds are so bloody and scary....

The HP movies all do have an element of darkness in their themes of course but I really noticed I had a hard time actually seeing parts of this movie....kind of like some of the Batman movies - much takes place in the dark...I kept squinting thinking I might be missing something....

DH is out on a hike with Macie - I've got my biggest chores done so I may grab DS and wander over to the mall (I'm pretty sure I can bribe him to go with me if I dangle the possibility of food...). I want to see if I can find any shoes on sale that would fit me. I really really need some new black casual shoes.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:09 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
I'm back to cleaning out my attic until it gets too hot later today.

It's super hard to clear things out because there's so much I feel I should give away instead of tossing away. I still have toys, games and movies from when the children were younger. I'm packing those up into boxes for my sister. My son carried most of the heavy stuff, like old computer monitors out, out to the garage for garbage day. I've decided to sell the books---either outright online or take boxes to Half Price Books. I'm making progress though----there's more and more room to move around each day I work up there.

I'm having a terrible time finding new curtains for the attic. The window sizes are strange---56" long. 63" is too long. Then I decided to try two tiers of cafe curtains, but they are only 24" long each.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:56 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,864 times
Afternoon everybody!

Not much going on this weekend. We have some things we are going to do in DS's bathroom - it's like a cave down there. I picked out some new paint and so now I need to paint. The day seems to be flying by though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
DS regsitered for school...for the last time! Yikes...hard to believe.
Do they let them do that online?

DS picked all his classes for this year in January and they got their schedule before school was out. There are a couple of changes he wants to make, but if he can't he's not too upset. He has to go to the school in a couple of weeks and they get their id's, lockers, etc. Knowing how fast last year went, I know this year will be worse! Guess you and I will be going through this together

Old 07-24-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Afternoon everybody!

Not much going on this weekend. We have some things we are going to do in DS's bathroom - it's like a cave down there. I picked out some new paint and so now I need to paint. The day seems to be flying by though.

Do they let them do that online?

DS picked all his classes for this year in January and they got their schedule before school was out. There are a couple of changes he wants to make, but if he can't he's not too upset. He has to go to the school in a couple of weeks and they get their id's, lockers, etc. Knowing how fast last year went, I know this year will be worse! Guess you and I will be going through this together
Yes - he picked out his classes in Jan/Feb also - just had to go online to sign all the required forms and pay for everything . He'll still have to go in and get his ID and parking permit....they start in just 2 weeks I think....

Yep - we will not be going through this alone at least. We can commisserate!

Had a nice time with DS - couldn't find any shoes but we did eat out at Tokyo Joe's then hit Target....it took about 5 minutes of being home before he was out the door to hang out until he has to work.

Last edited by maciesmom; 07-24-2011 at 02:41 PM..

Old 07-24-2011, 02:31 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Hey Hopes, where would you sell the books online? I emptied the book cases in my bedroom yesterday, and just moved all the already read stuff into the guest room. I was planning on saving them until we finally get a library in our city (2 years away, yea!), because I have found the shipping prices a bit nuts for books. DS youngest sold some of his used textbooks online, and I ended up paying at least $5.00 per title to ship them out.

Middle boy went and applied to work the PGA tournament yesterday. He got to the hotel and said there were at least 40-45 people ahead of him to interview, but he and his buddy were called in and hired first. Plus 1 for Mom, who suggested he wear a polo and khakis to the job fair. Now he even thinks I know what I'm talking about. He let his boss know he was leaving a week early, but thanked him ( my suggestion) and told him he enjoyed working there, and the boss asked if he wanted to work over the holidays. Plus 2 for Mom!

BTW Hopes, I found odd sized curtains, which I needed for the master bath window, through Penneys catalog.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Middle boy went and applied to work the PGA tournament yesterday. He got to the hotel and said there were at least 40-45 people ahead of him to interview, but he and his buddy were called in and hired first. Plus 1 for Mom, who suggested he wear a polo and khakis to the job fair. Now he even thinks I know what I'm talking about. He let his boss know he was leaving a week early, but thanked him ( my suggestion) and told him he enjoyed working there, and the boss asked if he wanted to work over the holidays. Plus 2 for Mom!
Yay! We've had really good luck with employers with both our kids. I think that as long as you give folks proper notice and if you have a history of being dependable and a good worker, people really do understand that things come up sometimes. If you have been a dependable employee they often want to keep a good relationship with you also. It's amazing to me how many people (not just kids from what I hear) just don't show up to work one day or quit by walking out in a huff.....Glad it worked out for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.