Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 11:47 AM

2,179 posts, read 3,402,803 times

Advertisements

with your kids, as far as what you did when you were their age(s)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 11:54 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
No I will not tell them that kind of stuff, because frankly, it's none of their business.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:02 PM

Yeah, realized after I posted that this should have been in Parenting.. sorry..

I think it is VERY difficult for MANY of us to tell our kids EVERYTHING that we did... SCARY!!

Old 02-18-2011, 12:26 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,716,485 times
I think I have told my oldest (19) about 90%. She knows as much as my siblings and friends. Sex, drugs, rock % roll, etc.

But I have some secrets that NO ONE knows!

Old 02-18-2011, 12:31 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,923,867 times
It's easy for me. I was such a goody-goody! I never skipped class, never had detention, never even tried smoking, drinking, or drugs of any kind, never snuck out, never got bad grades, etc. I got busted for things like not cleaning the cat litter by 6pm, or taking more candies than I was allowed after dinner. The worst thing I did was I did let my boyfriend come into the house when my parents weren't home, and I did get grounded for a month for that. Of course, you know what we were doing? Practicing our band lesson... My parents thought I was tough because I talked back and argued with them. Then my baby sister became a teenager and it was a whole other experience for them - drinking, smoking, drugs, running away, teen pregnancy, failing school, etc.

My oldest is only 4, so it doesn't really matter yet. But no, I don't think I will have trouble being honest with my kids about what I did when I was their age.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I think I have told my oldest (19) about 90%. She knows as much as my siblings and friends. Sex, drugs, rock % roll, etc.

But I have some secrets that NO ONE knows!
Yeah, it's funny. My kids are on a strict need-to-know basis with regards to my action-packed past. It comes in handy when they get in trouble, are feeling down on themselves and I can say, "You think that's bad? Believe me, it could be worse.."

It's funny how mainstream the things you mentioned were back in what, the 70's and 80's. I think the price our kids pay is much steeper. We got away with MUCH more, wouldn't you agree?

Old 02-18-2011, 12:42 PM

617 posts, read 1,355,752 times
I'll probably be honest with them for the most part...about the worst I got into was petty vandalism (egging, etc.) and some underage drinking. If that's all I have to put up with, I'll consider myself lucky.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forehead View Post
I'll probably be honest with them for the most part...about the worst I got into was petty vandalism (egging, etc.) and some underage drinking. If that's all I have to put up with, I'll consider myself lucky.
Yeah, I don't know, it's funny.. Some of us parents are afraid to tell our kids the things that we did because we are afraid that they will think it's ok, and they will do the same things. Funny, 'cause I'm not even sure that it's true.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
It's easy for me. I was such a goody-goody! I never skipped class, never had detention, never even tried smoking, drinking, or drugs of any kind, never snuck out, never got bad grades, etc. I got busted for things like not cleaning the cat litter by 6pm, or taking more candies than I was allowed after dinner. The worst thing I did was I did let my boyfriend come into the house when my parents weren't home, and I did get grounded for a month for that. Of course, you know what we were doing? Practicing our band lesson... My parents thought I was tough because I talked back and argued with them. Then my baby sister became a teenager and it was a whole other experience for them - drinking, smoking, drugs, running away, teen pregnancy, failing school, etc.

My oldest is only 4, so it doesn't really matter yet. But no, I don't think I will have trouble being honest with my kids about what I did when I was their age.
You're lucky in a way, to have nothing to hide, and nothing to lie about. I'm honest in my everyday life and so not lying but not being forthcoming with my kids is not something that I am proud of or that sits well with me. It bothers me, in fact. But looking back, I'm even shocked by some of the things we did and got away with. The only problem I can see for a parent like yourself, is that if you do end up with a kid that gives you a lot of headaches you might have a tendency to overreact. Do you think so?

Old 02-18-2011, 12:56 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,378,669 times
No, I don't think I could ever be TOTALLY honest. Some things are meant to stay discreet from your children. However, I do plan to reveal some things from my past that may potentially bring us even closer, make him see that I understand where he is coming from and that I'm not perfect and had my share of mishaps. I believe my husband shares the same philosophy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting