Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 09:23 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,927,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
All experts don't recommend a minimum of 2 years. Some experts do. And some recommend one year. Some experts say the decision to breastfeed or bottle feed is a personal choice, and if the mother doesn't want to breastfeed, it's perfectly fine as long as the baby is healthy and thriving.
Which experts say that? Medical associations? As far as I know, all the medical associations recommend breastfeeding as the first choice. Citation of one that says it doesn't matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 09:24 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times
Worth bearing in mind is the WHO recommendation of 2 years really applies to those children who would be nutritionally disadvantaged without breast milk. I hardly think it applies to most children in the US beyond one year.

I agree breastfeeding an older child is more about the mother than the child. One can comfort and bond with an older children without breastfeeding them.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:27 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Ah - I understood "experts" to mean "anyone with the educational background, experience, and qualifications to fit the criteria of someone who knows what they're talking about." Such as, a pediatrician, or OB/GYN. Since they're the ones who actually deal with individual mothers who are, or are not, breastfeeding their children.

And yeah given the option of "breastmilk" vs. "sour milk from diseased cows in a 3rd world country" I think the first choice would be obvious. So if you live in the alleys of the slums of Nepal, then sure - breastfeed til nothing comes out anymore, for the sake of your child's life. If you live in the USA, and you just plain don't feel like being your baby's food source anymore, there is absolutely no reason why any mother should ever feel pressure to continue breastfeeding, or to breastfeed at all.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:30 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,185,083 times
Quote:
Ah - I understood "experts" to mean "anyone with the educational background, experience, and qualifications to fit the criteria of someone who knows what they're talking about." Such as, a pediatrician, or OB/GYN. Since they're the ones who actually deal with individual mothers who are, or are not, breastfeeding their children.
Pediatricians and OB/GYN's should be following the advice of the WHO, AAFP and AAP which is based on research.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:30 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Worth bearing in mind is the WHO recommendation of 2 years really applies to those children who would be nutritionally disadvantaged without breast milk. I hardly think it applies to most children in the US beyond one year.

I agree breastfeeding an older child is more about the mother than the child. One can comfort and bond with an older children without breastfeeding them.
I think this is the one point that always seperates the breast vs bottle crowd. Bottle feeding Moms comfort and bond too but that point always seems to get lost.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
The US isn't exactly the healthiest country in the world with our high rates of obesity, childhood diabetes, etc.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:34 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,927,780 times
Quote:
I've heard this argument a lot, but I don't think it's true. Can you back that up? The American Academy of Family Physicians as well as Health Canada both defer to WHO with the 2 year guideline.

Quote:
Obviously. I can also comfort and bond with my children by breastfeeding them. I have lots of options!

Old 12-10-2010, 09:38 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,913 times
Quote:

And yeah given the option of "breastmilk" vs. "sour milk from diseased cows in a 3rd world country" I think the first choice would be obvious. So if you live in the alleys of the slums of Nepal, then sure - breastfeed til nothing comes out anymore, for the sake of your child's life. If you live in the USA, and you just plain don't feel like being your baby's food source anymore, there is absolutely no reason why any mother should ever feel pressure to continue breastfeeding, or to breastfeed at all.
Ah, don't be so quick my friend. Those nurses at the hospital that are there to help new mothers breastfeed are some of the nastiest women I have ever come across. I have a name for them but it is offensive to some so I won't say it.

With my first son, I was going back to work at 2 weeks and never even remotely gave breastfeeding a consideration. These 2 women tag teamed me for 48 hours and were relentless with their pushing.

When I had my second, I learned my lesson. The minute she walked in the room after he was born I told her that my son would not be suckling my breast but she was free to suckle my a** if she would like to stay in my room.

The point is, even the educated sometimes push their agenda.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
If you live in the USA, and you just plain don't feel like being your baby's food source anymore, there is absolutely no reason why any mother should ever feel pressure to continue breastfeeding, or to breastfeed at all.
Citing research and facts is not the same thing as trying to pressure women into breastfeeding. Pointing out that breastfeeding past infancy is normal and healthy is not trying to pressure women into breastfeeding. When people say that they think it's weird to nurse beyond infancy or that there is no difference between formula and breastmilk are they trying to pressure nursing mothers into weaning?

Old 12-10-2010, 09:40 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
The US isn't exactly the healthiest country in the world with our high rates of obesity, childhood diabetes, etc.
And yet, there are obese kids, kids with childhood diabetes, who were breastfed.

Breastfeeding does not prevent obesity, does not prevent diabetes, does not prevent allergies, does not prevent illness. In fact, there are some few children, who are allergic to their mother's milk, who are actually harmed by being forced to breastfeed until the allergy is discovered.

All things being equal, all things are equal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting