Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 05:40 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I have a serious question

WHY do you breastfeed over the age of 2?

There is very little to no nutritional value to a child past that point. And treating a child who has grown out of toddlerhood like such a baby would seem to me to stunt their emotional growth. After all, would you let your 4.5 year old go around with a passie or bottle?

Truly curious
It's not really that it has no nutritional value. The nutritional value is the same as it's always been. What you probably mean, is that the nutrition from breast milk can be easily replaced by other foods at a certain age, so why continue to breastfeed. You wouldn't say that there's no nutritional value to a child drinking cow's milk, right? Cow's milk is a substitute for human breast milk though, and human milk is more nutritious for humans than milk from a cow. Plus, breast milk contains antibodies and immune cells in addition to nutrition. But my 4yo isn't getting a lot of nutrition from breastmilk, simply because she doesn't drink that much. She is only nursing for 1-2 minutes, 1-3 times per week. She has, for the most part, replaced the nutritional aspect of nursing with other foods and beverages at this point. She is nursing for attachment and comfort.

Basically, I don't believe that nutrition is the only reason for nursing. A breast is more than just a container of milk to convey food. I believe that our society often views it this way because we have been influenced by the bottle-feeding culture of the last few generations. But nursing is more than just feeding, for babies as well as for toddlers and up. So I don't have a problem with nursing for comfort, and in fact I feel it is natural and to be expected.

I have chosen to allow my daughter to self-wean. I am confident that she will outgrow her need to nurse on her own, and I don't see any reason to cut her off. I see more positives to nursing than negatives. I do not at all feel that I am stunting her emotional growth or anything like that for a few reasons. Firstly, though it is often proposed that nursing might be harmful emotionally, this has not been borne out by any research. Secondly, this has not been true in my personal experience with families that I know. One of the most emotionally mature 13 year olds I have ever known nursed until she was 6 or 7. Thirdly, I am aware that historically as well as in other cultures, it has been common to nurse for several years, and that it is a modern, Western social construct that dictates short duration of nursing. For example, Jewish custom was that a child should nurse a minimum of 2 years and a maximum of 4 or 5. Muslim custom also dictates a minimum of 2 years. Fourthly, I am aware that biologically, humans, as primates, are designed to nurse for several years.

As far as carrying a bottle or paci at this age, I feel that attachment to a human is not the same as attachment to an object, and also that the reasons to eliminate things like pacis and bottles are often relating to negative physical side-effects, such as the impact on the teeth. If a child is attached to a teddy bear or a blankie, I don't think I'd have a problem with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 05:42 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
She was exclusively breastfed until she was 6 months and at 6 months old I started introducing her to solid foods. Why do you think that is so weird?
It's not weird at all. In fact, it is what is recommended by all of the medical associations.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:53 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,643 times
Quote:
She was exclusively breastfed until she was 6 months and at 6 months old I started introducing her to solid foods. Why do you think that is so weird?
Both of mine started cereal before they were a month and were eating everything by 4. They were on table food by 6 months. Goodness, they would have cried from hunger without it. Just surprises me that she wasn't hungry.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:56 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
Both of mine started cereal before they were a month and were eating everything by 4. They were on table food by 6 months. Goodness, they would have cried from hunger without it. Just surprises me that she wasn't hungry.
You can breastfeed them or give them a bottle if they cry from being hungry. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends not starting solids until babies are 6 months old. I realize that this is different from what was done 20+ years ago; I'm not sure how old your kids are.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
You can breastfeed them or give them a bottle if they cry from being hungry. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends not starting solids until babies are 6 months old. I realize that this is different from what was done 20+ years ago; I'm not sure how old your kids are.
They were drinking 8 oz bottles every 2 hours...barely. They were hungry. Mine are in their early 20s. It was what was recommended then and my pediatrician laughed at it then and I would imagine laugh at it now.

I would do the same thing today too. :shrugs: I would cry if I was hungry too

Old 12-09-2010, 06:10 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
Your one-month-olds were drinking 8 oz bottles every 2 hours? Impressive. I nursed every 2 hours or so, because babies are designed to need to eat often.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Your one-month-olds were drinking 8 oz bottles every 2 hours? Impressive. I nursed every 2 hours or so, because babies are designed to need to eat often.
They were drinking 8 oz bottles at a week. The nurses were stunned when my 2nd was born that he was drinking 6 oz at his 3rd feeding. They were born hungry and stayed that way. Thankfully, I don't pay their food bill anymore.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:19 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,184,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
Nursing satisfied her hunger very well.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Nursing satisfied her hunger very well.
I'm sure it did, I don't believe you would starve her. Formula isn't much different than breastmilk and there is no way in the world mine would have lasted until 6 months. Hence, my surprise

Old 12-09-2010, 06:30 PM

904 posts, read 2,874,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I have a serious question

WHY do you breastfeed over the age of 2?

There is very little to no nutritional value to a child past that point. And treating a child who has grown out of toddlerhood like such a baby would seem to me to stunt their emotional growth. After all, would you let your 4.5 year old go around with a passie or bottle?

Truly curious
I have to agree with you. I breastfed my youngest until he was 2 1/2 and had to stop because he was not growing. After 2 he was considered "failure to thrive" because he was not getting enough nutrition from the breast but was nursing to the point of not being hungry. We had to transition to Pediasure and then had to wean from that because, again, not enough calories for his activity level.

While I would condsider myself a HUGE advocate for nursing, I also realize that there is a point when it should stop and I believe that to be around age 2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting