Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 09:04 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,251,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I find the older people are, the more judgmental they are.
Then you need to get out more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 09:06 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,971,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Childfree35 View Post
I agree. I was watching "60 minutes" years ago. It was a family with twin boys. The mom said, one was gay. I believe the boys were 7-8. The boy had a pink canopy bed with matching pink accessories. The mom would polish the boys nails. He had several dolls to play with.

Children are too young to know what they are. If your child says, he's frankenstein than what.
Here's a link to the transcript from that show.

The Science Of Sexual Orientation - 60 Minutes - CBS News

Some quotes

Quote:
Adam's behavior is called childhood gender nonconformity, meaning a child whose interests and behaviors are more typical of the opposite sex. Research shows that kids with extreme gender nonconformity usually grow up to be gay
Quote:
Bailey and his colleagues set up a series of experiments in his lab at Northwestern University. In one study, researcher Gerulf Rieger videotaped gay and straight people sitting in a chair, talking. He then reduced them visually to silent black and white outlined figures and asked volunteers to see if they could tell gay from straight. The idea was to find out if certain stereotypes were real and observable.

Based on physical movement and gestures of the figures, more often than not, the volunteers in the study could tell a difference.

"So, is the conclusion that gay people do in fact move differently?" Stahl asked Rieger.

"Yeah, absolutely," he replied.

It's not true 100 percent of the time; it is true on average. The researchers also studied the way gay and straight people talk, and they found differences on average there too.
Btw, I'm not sure that the twins in this story have a *gay-straight* dichotomy. It sounds at the end as if the *gay* twin may actually be transgendered rather than gay.

Quote:
"I was supposed to be a girl in my mom's stomach. But my mom wished for all boys. So, I turned into a boy," Adam explained.

Asked if he wished he was a girl, Adam nodded.
Dorothy

Old 10-27-2010, 09:09 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,698,565 times
He's five, and he wants to wear girl clothes. So what? Kids are exploring their identities at this age. He may or may not grow out of it, and either way I applaud the parents for not trying to stifle their kid's fun. I played with boy toys the whole time I was growing up. Barbie got ignored in the back of the closet in favor of Hot Wheels, Lego, model cars and airplanes, etc. My preferred clothing was boy jeans, combat boots, and tshirts. I grew up to be a very heterosexual female, have two kids, and a very healthy relationship with, yes, a man. What a kid does at that age doesn't mean much, and if he does grow up to be a fabulous gay man, so what? That's perfectly normal too.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:45 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,671,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
He's five, and he wants to wear girl clothes. So what? Kids are exploring their identities at this age. He may or may not grow out of it, and either way I applaud the parents for not trying to stifle their kid's fun. I played with boy toys the whole time I was growing up. Barbie got ignored in the back of the closet in favor of Hot Wheels, Lego, model cars and airplanes, etc. My preferred clothing was boy jeans, combat boots, and tshirts. I grew up to be a very heterosexual female, have two kids, and a very healthy relationship with, yes, a man. What a kid does at that age doesn't mean much, and if he does grow up to be a fabulous gay man, so what? That's perfectly normal too.
I went through a 'boy' phase growing up. From the ages of maybe 6 to about 13 I had short hair, wore boys clothes and worked on boats, cars and motorcycles with my dad. My sister was my opposite...never left the house without a dress and a bow in her hair

I'm really glad my parents let me 'do my thing', if you will. I think there would have been a LOT more rebellion and parent issues on my part if they would have forced me to conform to cultural gender roles.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:00 AM

1,476 posts, read 2,028,090 times
What struck me in this video clip, is how incredibly perfect everyone looked and sounded, kind of like in an Infomercial - you know the programs that try and sell you something. (Is Seattle really that conservative looking?) Cute kid, BTW.

Last edited by GottaBMe; 10-27-2010 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 10-27-2010, 10:11 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,698,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
What struck me in this video clip, is how incredibly perfect everyone looked and sounded, kind of like in an Infomercial - you know the programs that try and sell you something. (Is Seattle really that conservative looking?) Cute kid, BTW.
Oh gosh no, Seattle isn't conservative. I'd say they're a bastion of coffee-swilling-longhaired-hippie-granola-eating-tree-hugging liberals, if anything.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:33 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,232,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
This has nothing to do with conversative/liberal views. This is basic gender roles. This kid is 5 years old he is still finding out who he is. I think it's a bad idea for the parents to encourage this. If he wants to wear dresses at age 16 or 18 okay but not 5.
Try shoveling that load of manure around a few of my kilt wearing relatives. I'm quite sure they can eliminate any sissy stereotype.

So,the kid wears dresses. I see no problem here. For all we know he could grow up to be a well known fashion designer, with a unique perspective to boot. Whatever he grows up to be, if he's secure with who he is and proud of it,his parents will have done a great job.

I worry more about the anal conservatives in the world who think that anything out of the narrow range of what they deem 'normal' should be done away with. Does the behavior of one small child threaten you that much? Sad.

Let him be a kid, enjoy his imagination, and relish in his childhood before the harsh reality of adulthood rears it's ugly head.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:42 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,232,332 times
Quote:
You got it!

I was a tomboy,still am. I'd much rather be out walking around in the woods or playing with my power tools than dress shopping.
Given that, i'm all woman! Just ask my poor exhausted DH...

Old 10-27-2010, 10:55 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,778,446 times
I didn't have time to watch the whole video, but what's the problem? He likes to wear dresses? Who cares? Nothing wrong wit that. As others have said, he'll either grow out of it or he won't. Either way is fine. He might run into some problems with narrow-minded people, but at least his mom is loving and caring. I probably wouldn't call him a "princess boy", but would personally be more inclined to say "princes [or boys] can wear pink dresses and sparkly nail polish, too!" but then again, I didn't watch all of it and don't know the bigger story.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:17 AM

26,701 posts, read 41,820,547 times
Quote:
Oh gosh no, Seattle isn't conservative. I'd say they're a bastion of coffee-swilling-longhaired-hippie-granola-eating-tree-hugging liberals, if anything.
If the boy wants to wear dresses then Seattle is a great place for him, now the Southeast where I live is a different story.

My issue is don't let him wear the dress in public specifically to school. Ya'll may be understanding but I doubt schoolkids will be as understanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting