Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 06:41 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,221,252 times

Advertisements

I saw a news report with this name on my local news a few days ago and I was outraged. For one thing, the station had called those who CHOOSE not to have children selfish before the story even aired, and secondly why are people who decide not to have children selfish? Wouldn't it be more selfish to have a child you didn't really want???

Parents, do you see those who have made the choice not to have children, as selfish?

Last edited by mrstewart; 10-05-2010 at 07:19 PM.. Reason: Changed the word "breed" to "have children"-folks get offended by this term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 06:43 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,265,307 times
sort of, yes. But I think that's ok. If you don't want kids, by all means, don't have any. My BFF is childless at 37 ans will most likely remain that way. That's ok.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:11 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,872,684 times
I don't think it's selfish to have a child you don't really want. I think it's stupid to have a child you don't really want. I also think it's pretty altruistic to intentionally refrain from have children. I think it is not selfish to want children and have them. I do, however, think it's incredibly selfish to have children intentionally -while- you are receiving government funds for living expenses - such as Section 8 housing, welfare, etc.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:13 PM

13,782 posts, read 26,292,886 times
If someone chooses not to have children then who am I to judge? We are all different, want different things, have different goals and dreams...this is what makes life so colorful!

Old 10-05-2010, 07:15 PM

13,782 posts, read 26,292,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I don't think it's selfish to have a child you don't really want. I think it's stupid to have a child you don't really want. I also think it's pretty altruistic to intentionally refrain from have children. I think it is not selfish to want children and have them. I do, however, think it's incredibly selfish to have children intentionally -while- you are receiving government funds for living expenses - such as Section 8 housing, welfare, etc.
Actually, I think I heard one of the dumbest stories this afternoon...a young woman who once worked for us left college because she was pregnant and got married, had another child after that, her husband lost his job and we let her go, she moved in with her parents not too long ago and she is pregnant again...

I have to say, if my child came home because he/she was in such financial dire straits, I think I would be rather perturbed if another baby was on the way...heck, they can't even care for themselves, not to mention ANOTHER baby!

Last edited by mrstewart; 10-05-2010 at 07:41 PM..

Old 10-05-2010, 07:28 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,302,398 times
I think it's selfish to have children one can't afford. People who chose to not have children don't fall into that category. I can't view them as selfish in terms of being childless. They may be selfish for other reasons though.

Every generation goes through a period of being labeled the "selfish" generation by previous generations. The baby boomers were labeled the "me" generation. Boomers received a lot of negative press for delaying parenthood until 30 or 40. Generation Y, Generation X, and the Millennial Generation are all labeled selfish. Mellenniel's have the added label of MOST selfish and narcissistic.

If you were old enough to be around to hear what was said of previous generations, you wouldn't be so offended. What they're saying about your generation isn't anything new.

The reality is that journalists get paid to create stories. Apparently it was a slow news day when someone became inspired to write that story---probably due to being a resentful, overwhelmed parent.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:28 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,856,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post

I have to say, if my child came home because he/she was in such financial dire straits, I think I would be rather perturbed if another baby was on the way...heck, they can't even care for themselves, not to mention ANOTHER baby!
Oh tell me about it. My good friend's brother had a kid at 16 with his girlfriend. Let's just say he dropped him off with Grandma and has yet to pick him up. Sure he comes and says hi (hes now 19). And now they are expecting baby number 2. When he told me this I said "didn't he learn where babys come from the first time?"

Old 10-05-2010, 07:36 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,495,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
Parents, do you see those who have made the choice not to have children, as selfish?

Absolutely not. Why should anyone view someone who has made that decision as "selfish"??? That's their decision and they shouldn't be "guilted" into having kids because someone else thinks it's selfish if they don't.

I find it more selfish when people pop out kids and ditch them with nannies, babysitters, or day care centers for 12-15 hours a day. I mean, why bother having a kid if you're not going to spend time with it?

I also agree with the above statements about it being selfish to continue having kids you can't afford to house, feed, clothe, or care for.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:36 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,971,225 times
I don't see the decision to have children, or not as inherently selfish. It's just a personal preference.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:45 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,931,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
I saw a news report with this name on my local news a few days ago and I was outraged. For one thing, the station had called those who CHOOSE not to have children selfish before the story even aired, and secondly why are people who decide not to have children selfish? Wouldn't it be more selfish to have a child you didn't really want???

Well, to be a good parent one must be selfless, not self-centered.

People who don't have kids on purpose are generally more self-involved - more "selfish" about how they spend their time, money and energy.

That's not bad or wrong per se, as no one should have a child unless they are completely prepared to do what it takes to be a good parent.

Knowing ourselves well enough to truthfully say "I'm not up to the challenge of parenthood" is a good kind of selfishness if it saves a child from coming into this world without all the love and attention it deserves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting