Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 07:37 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,254,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Preach it, sister, I'm the same way. though I do on occasion rock the sexy clothes for going out with my man...when I haven't tired him out enough to make him want to stay in.
Grandma's can be sexy too! I'm 54 and still turn a few heads when we go out.

Like some of the other posters said, it's a matter of confidence.

I grew up in the south. One of my high school friends was openly gay AND black. Very popular,tried out for cheerleading and even though the rest of the squad approved, the principal said no. Undaunted, he joined the color guard. He had an air of confidence that just seemed to make everyone feel better about who they were.

Fast forward a few years and i'm sitting at the laundry. This drop dead gorgeous black woman sits down next to me and we start talking. A few minutes later she looks at me and says "girlfriend, it's me!". Damned if it wasn't my friend from school. He had gone on to custom make clothing and was very good at it.

You just never know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
Lol, no. It actually wasn't even a cool pirate patch, it was more like a huge bandaid. They bought it though and thought I was cool. Kindergarteners aren't very bright.
It isn't that they're not bright, society and it's 'norms' haven't corrupted them yet.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP440 View Post
This is just an example of the sign of the times. This is why the rest of the world no longer respects us. I remember the good old days when boys tried to emulate men by dressing up in a shirt and tie, or playing a sport where at the end of the game one team would win and another would loose. The feminization of the United States is in full swing here. I can only hope and pray he grows out of this "programming".
Get down off of that soap box before you hurt yourself.

This country was founded on freedom,religious and personal. I'm pretty sure that little kids playing dress up will are covered by those principals. One of the things that is so great about being an American is our right to choose. If he chooses to wear a dress, let him. If more parents were like his we probably wouldn't have so many guys hiding in a closet and trying on women undies and feeling ashamed.

Let those other countries laugh, at least until their gov takes away that right too.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:58 AM

5,073 posts, read 4,753,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
This has nothing to do with conversative/liberal views. This is basic gender roles. This kid is 5 years old he is still finding out who he is. I think it's a bad idea for the parents to encourage this. If he wants to wear dresses at age 16 or 18 okay but not 5.
On the contrary, parents should let him know that no matter what he wears, they will support and love him, and he will grow up to be that secure teenager at 16 or 18 who doesn't give up because some bullies gave him a hard time about his sexual identity.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:35 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,387,212 times
I have thought about this alot, like I said I think that is one Great Mom. I had a very good friend through out mid school into my early tweanties who was gay. His mom and step dad reacted badly to the whole situation and would tell him he was going to hell(and other cruel things. THis guy was one of the best human beings I will ever know, he was a good friend who encouraged your intrest and what you were good at,when I had some minor surgey he laid on the floor next to the couch I was on and took care of me, he made sure the people I dated were good to me. he was kind to everyone and made any one who knew him a beter person. He deserved much better than what his parents did to him.
Every night I ask God to look over him and to bless him, I also know that I will see him again one day. God does not make misstakes, he made us all and people are born straight, gay, transgender and Bi and like I said we are all Gods children and we all deserve to be treated with love and kindness

Last edited by michelleleigh; 10-30-2010 at 11:46 PM..

Old 11-01-2010, 07:52 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,975,795 times
Urgh I'm so over all this PC crap. Really - if he wants to wear a dress he should be allowed to wear a dress or it will hurt his feelings. BS - you're a boy put on a pair of pants and get over it. Someone today just told me that her kids are allowed to "pick their own gender". What is wrong with this world I wonder.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:26 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,468,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
Urgh I'm so over all this PC crap. Really - if he wants to wear a dress he should be allowed to wear a dress or it will hurt his feelings. BS - you're a boy put on a pair of pants and get over it. Someone today just told me that her kids are allowed to "pick their own gender". What is wrong with this world I wonder.
I know. It's craziness, isn't it? People allowed to choose who they want to be, choose how they want to dress...

It's madness I tell ya!

Old 11-02-2010, 05:59 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,249,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Preach it, sister, I'm the same way. though I do on occasion rock the sexy clothes for going out with my man...when I haven't tired him out enough to make him want to stay in.
And so you should.
What is is that with some moms that they need to dress dowdy.
Cripes when you were young, you dressed to impress.
Excite your man
maybe the guy will respond and start taking an interest in you once again.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:23 AM

140 posts, read 294,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
My son wore a monkey costume to the grocery store a couple of weeks ago. It doesn't mean he's a monkey. Just because the kid likes to wear dresses at this age doesn't mean he's transgendered (maybe he is, maybe he isn't.). He's just a child who likes dresses.
This this this this this.

He's five years old, for the love of God. He's not old enough to decide that he's transgendered, what his sexuality is, etc. I mean, when I was five, I hadn't even had my first crush yet, do you guys really think this little kid has it all figured out or something?

Maybe he just likes to play dress-up? I mean, if I were a five year old boy, I'd feel kind of jealous that the girls got to wear such fun things and play with facepaint, lol.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:45 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,698,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post

Heaven forbid that a parent have ultimate say over what their child wears or what types of toys the parent feels are appropriate for the child to play with. I remember when my son was five he wanted a Barbie doll. I told him Barbie was for girls and my wife objected (like any emasculating woman would). I then explained to her that I felt that Barbie was projecting an unrealistic body image and I felt that children would be unrealistically influenced by her. She tried to argue that point, but I shut the argument down with a simple "Please respect my views even though you don't agree as I do yours" and the conversation ended with him never getting the Barbie doll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting