Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 04:19 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,803,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orincarnia View Post

the adults in political power, running this country, are the hippies of the 1960's but instead of smoking pot and dressing like hippies, they wear suits and play a role. they still stick it to the imaginary man every chance they get.
thats why our country is going to pot (pun hehe) thats why underaged strippers are allowed to perform "theater" for older men and why you have this gross leniency in government towards illegal drugs.
That's a pretty stinging indictment of the Hippies, don't you think so? Weren't they the peace and love generation,
that bunch of "peace-niks" and "draft-dodgers" who refused to go over and drink Vietnam's blood? I'd rather not see that
consortium of self-serving clowns who are running this country (into the ground), being associated with the likes of the
flower people but more categorically close to Moe, Larry and Curly or the Keystone Cops.

And, as to how you've possibly seen "gross leniency" anywhere within our government's drug policy, I'd really like you
to come back on that observation, with a plausible example of where and how you see this lenience being applied. Maybe
those statistics which are indicating to me that our prisons are bloated with illegal drug infractors, many with no other
history of "crime", are just the statistics that the government uses to convince the people that they are doing their job.
Meanwhile, why not start a new thread and we'll deal with those underage strippers. Would you do that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 08:29 AM

1,262 posts, read 1,304,281 times
Default Yes, what about them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by misplaced1 View Post
I wonder if the kids were ever tested for exposure? This is one of the things I think about when people are so happy to legalize mj in Ca. What about the kids?
Yes, what about the children?

We live in a world where some things are Ok for adults to do and where children are forbidden by custom, culture and law to do those things. That would still be true if MJ is re-legalized.

Every society has to make a decision, are we going to prohibit anything that might be harmful to a child to occur, ever? Even to the point of invading private homes to make sure, or are we going to allow adults to do things that adults are capable of doing responsibly, and punish those who don't.

I think our society has made the choice to reserve some things for adults, and punish those who supply those things to children, but we also generally respect adults who act responsibly.

For example. We know second hand tobacco smoke has a detrimential effect on those in a room that don't smoke. So we don't approve of adults smoking around children or other adults indoors, and we have passed laws to enforce that. However, we don't go into their homes and test their childern for nicotine exposure, (a mind altering drug) and we wouldn't take those childern away from their parents if we found nicotine in the children's blood, even though we know the documented negative health effects. That include's pregant mothers, we don't test them for nicotine use even though we know it causes low birth weight and other problems, and we don't put them in prison. With marijuana, it would /should be the same level of concern. We know parents should not smoke it (or anything else) around their children, but it, by itself, would/should not be a reason to take the children away from a loving home. You may not approve of a couple's life style choices, but that, in itself, is no reason to try and impose your life choices on them.

Foster care, in other than life threatening situations, is not usually better than keeping a family together.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:50 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,094,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passwithoutatrace View Post
They don't take away kids just because the parents drink, smoke, or eat tons of junk food. Why would marijuana be any different?
All of which are legal, except for marijuana.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:25 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,304,281 times
Default Yes, that's right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
All of which are legal, except for marijuana.
All of these other substances are harmful and toxic by themselves. Marijuana, which is non-toxic, is harmful because of it's illegality. If it were not for long prison terms, harsh fines, loss of job, property, possibly your children, and the potential death of your pets during a raid, marijuana would be the least problematic of all. And that is what is wrong with the current anti-marijuana laws.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:58 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,803,205 times
The prospect of having your children taken away from you because you smoke marijuana, is only another tool in the arsenal of those who've been misled
by the government's long term and foolish position on marijuana and the great myth that they have created to substantiate their position. A casual study of the
history of America from it's founding, would clearly show you that the men who rebelled against the oppressive governance of their European masters, grew their
own pot and saw fit to serve whatever needs they had at that time, with the same hallucinogenic substance that we, 6 generations removed from them, are
still finding relief, in much the same way as they did back then.

Who can say whether or not, those that assembled themselves at Independence Hall, didn't "turn-on", right there on the front steps? George Washington,
the most revered among them was quite punctual in planting the hemp every year and because I'm reasonably certain that he wasn't weaving his own fabric
to clothe himself, that he had other things in mind at harvest time. I continue to question the fact that somehow, our administrators saw fit to blind themselves
to the example that was so clearly set by our founding fathers, so many years ago.

Perhaps another day will come when the emboldened government will again, take our children away under other twisted mandates, much like they did with
conscription into the military, with the draft and send them away to support their warmongering agenda, their hegemonic programs and those enviable perks, that
seem to come with the chosen class of Americans, those who rule us and lead us, with no discernible wisdom, in the downward direction of just where they, or we,
are steadfastly going. I don't feel as though my government is, of or by, the people any more, it has grown and become it's own self-serving entity and I have lost
so much faith in their ability to recover.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:34 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,987,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Good decision. This part worries me Can you imagine if pot were now a legitimate reason to take kids from their homes?
Children are taken from homes for much less. There was the infant that was taken from parents shortly after birth because they were both blind. So blind people are not allowed to reproduce and keep their children?

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...-99012439.html

Old 08-13-2010, 02:19 AM

37,158 posts, read 42,286,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Children are taken from homes for much less. There was the infant that was taken from parents shortly after birth because they were both blind. So blind people are not allowed to reproduce and keep their children?

National Federation of the Blind Successful in Returning Infant to Her Parents -- INDEPENDENCE, Mo., July 22 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ --
I saw that. They were dead wrong and there will be some kind of repercussions. Although they have their child back now it was still shameful.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:48 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,770,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Good decision. This part worries me Can you imagine if pot were now a legitimate reason to take kids from their homes?
Jeez no offence it happens everyday in familly courts across the country. Father yelled a few times during the relationship so now baby is born, we need to protect mother and baby from the potentially abusive father or fear of potential abusive, so we limit his visitations and rights and even can switch custody to protect against something that can or hasn't happened.

Or one parent has a criminal record or bad background, we have to protect the children from a potentially bad parent so its supervised visitations or termination of parental rights even if there is no evidence on record that the parent is unfit or a bad parent by his/her actions.

I agree good decision, im just curious. If it had been dad or father would the decision been different? We have a big adoption case on another thread that kinda rings with the potential ideal where alot of ppl believe

Old 07-25-2014, 12:57 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,770,511 times
the father should lose his rights for what is the best interests of the child.

No offense, there are real abusive situations out there that do need the protection of the courts. But its difficult to logically defend against ilogical logic. How does someone defend against someones elses fear or prejudice?

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 07-25-2014 at 01:06 AM..

Old 07-27-2014, 12:54 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,175,303 times
So now that pot is legal in some communities I'm wondering what the law is concerning smoking around children?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting