Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 11:01 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

PONTIAC, Mich. (WXYZ) - An Oakland County mother is considering hiring a lawyer after she was ordered to jail because she had no one to care for her kids while she was on jury duty.

Carmela Khury says the problem began Thursday, February 25, three days into a murder trial.

Mother Ordered to Jail For Bringing Kids || WXYZ.com | WXYZ-TV / Detroit | Detroit News, Weather, Sports and More
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 11:24 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,899,308 times
That does not surprise me. In my state they are very strict about serving jury duty. I have been lucky to avoid jury duty twice because I'm a SAHM, but I have had to write a letter and explain my hardship. I know I was lucky because other moms I know were not excused.

My 20 year old son just a notice to serve jury duty. He is a full-time college student. He wrote a letter explaining he was a full-time college student, with no car, and no public transportation, and they replied that he still has to serve. In fact, they stated that even if he were a full-time college student OUT OF STATE, he'd still have to serve. It's ridiculous! My dh has had to serve a few times, and the judge would get angry and yell at him when he explained he was self-employed and couldn't afford to serve weeks on end. It's out of control, how they expect people to just drop everything in their lives to "do their civic duty". It's not always possible.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:29 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,240,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
That does not surprise me. In my state they are very strict about serving jury duty. I have been lucky to avoid jury duty twice because I'm a SAHM, but I have had to write a letter and explain my hardship. I know I was lucky because other moms I know were not excused.

My 20 year old son just a notice to serve jury duty. He is a full-time college student. He wrote a letter explaining he was a full-time college student, with no car, and no public transportation, and they replied that he still has to serve. In fact, they stated that even if he were a full-time college student OUT OF STATE, he'd still have to serve. It's ridiculous! My dh has had to serve a few times, and the judge would get angry and yell at him when he explained he was self-employed and couldn't afford to serve weeks on end. It's out of control, how they expect people to just drop everything in their lives to "do their civic duty". It's not always possible.
Have him tell the judge he is an illegal and don't spekie no enles...

And the lady that went to jail.... She would not even have to show up for the jury pool here because of her young children..

Old 03-04-2010, 11:30 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
That is just totally crazy

Old 03-04-2010, 11:33 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,899,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Have him tell the judge he is an illegal and don't spekie no enles...
He'll fit right in, there are a lot of people who fit that description where that court is located.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:00 PM

758 posts, read 1,872,076 times
It did not say whether she was actually put in jail or not, but if she was, what did they do with her children? Turn them over to CPS? What the heck was this judge thinking?

Old 03-04-2010, 12:09 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,692,872 times
Jury duty is an obligation of every registered voter. Perhaps there are so many people who 'get out of it' that they are short handed.

HOWEVER, to jail a woman who has no childcare makes no sense. What happened to her kids while she was in jail? I'll bet she had someone watch them then.

There are lots of excuses to not serve, and who knows whether that young mother could have found an alternate (her mother's oral surgery had to have been planned long in advance) child care provider for the day.

My mother was on jury duty for a murder trial years ago. Her car broke down and I was called late at night to take some overnight things for her because they were sequestered.

People who are called are expected to serve. Our civic duty. I understand how they have to be firm, but to jail her was a little extreme.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:17 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
We are give certain ways to opt out or postpone our service. In this particular case I would think a standby jurior would have been used. I don't see how jailing anyone is a solution.

This reminds me, I have jury duty next week

Old 03-04-2010, 12:37 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,182,741 times
I really think that the court needs to make exceptions for parents with children under the age of 5 in the home. It's not always possible to find someone to watch your children or even afford that expense when it's not something you planned for. I've served twice on a jury and feel that it's an important civic duty but there are certain situations that should be excused. I think primary caregivers of children, the elderly and disabled should be cases to consider for exemption. Some states do this and some states don't. Mine does not.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:44 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
Jury duty is an obligation of every registered voter. Perhaps there are so many people who 'get out of it' that they are short handed.

HOWEVER, to jail a woman who has no childcare makes no sense. What happened to her kids while she was in jail? I'll bet she had someone watch them then.

There are lots of excuses to not serve, and who knows whether that young mother could have found an alternate (her mother's oral surgery had to have been planned long in advance) child care provider for the day.

My mother was on jury duty for a murder trial years ago. Her car broke down and I was called late at night to take some overnight things for her because they were sequestered.

People who are called are expected to serve. Our civic duty. I understand how they have to be firm, but to jail her was a little extreme.
Have you any idea how many people don't register to vote so they won't get called??? NJ went around that, now they go by licensed drivers. That said I do think we are a bit more flexible in excusing people.
I think this judge just let his power go to his head...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting