Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2011, 02:17 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,413,771 times

Advertisements

^^^

True...I have only been watching the news...and we know how misinformed they can be. I'll check the links Either way our schools need a serious overhaul.

Yup...cheating cannot be tolerated by students or teachers.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:51 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,903,172 times
I watch & listen to the news media and “never” believe their total story unless I’ve found it from three or more sources. Also this applies to the internet as well. These days we always have to be on guard against misinformation and know who are the reliable sources with integrity.

Today’s news media isn’t as it was several decades ago, they can’t be trusted nor can I trust the internet and websites.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:53 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,443,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I watch & listen to the news media and “never” believe their total story unless I’ve found it from three or more sources. Also this applies to the internet as well. These days we always have to be on guard against misinformation and know who are the reliable sources with integrity.

Today’s news media isn’t as it was several decades ago, they can’t be trusted nor can I trust the internet and websites.
check with "Snopes"

Old 08-07-2011, 03:11 PM

An example of news media and misinformation. A number of months ago while talking with others over coffee, a comment was made about the issue in Madison WI and the cost of the cleanup of the capitol building because of the protesters there. It was mentioned that the cost was $1.7 million dollars. I was amazed and after doing an extensive amount of research via the internet and checking news media I found that the cost was only $38K instead. I was able to verify this amount from at least two different sources that were “local” news reporting stations in Madison itself, NOT any national news source. One of the news stations was “local” FOX news network and the other was the “local” ABC news network if I remember correctly, yet the national FOX network spoke of the larger amount only in the cleanup of the capitol building. There is such a big difference between “national” and local news. They tell us what they want us to think, simply propaganda in many cases.

This is how urban legends get started. A person says something and passes the comment on to another without checking if it’s valid and correct. It’s scary to think that it happens too often.

Remember the McDonald hot coffee spill in the lap of the elderly lady with a multiple of millions of dollars awarded in a lawsuit? The senior didn’t get anything like the amount that was awarded her in a court of law. Check a documentary film on HBO called “Hot Coffee”. It’s an eye opener to this issue and others about our court system.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
check with "Snopes"
Yep Snopes is good and there are several others like FactCheck that comes to mind. There are a number of them however not all subjects are covered in their checking. I like to verify from local sources the information and not rely on national news or networks. I find local works best for me.

I dislike the propaganda media and never believe what i see or hear without checking further into the subject of question.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:09 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,034,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Our antiquated school system and the lousy rules

Hubby and I had to go to town yesterday so we volunteered to do the school list shopping for the grandkids. We got suckered. It used to be so easy to do back to school shopping. A few notebooks, some pens and pencils and then whatever else "you" wanted. That is not how it is at all anymore. I think the schools and teachers have gotten way out of hand....and all the parents at Walmart were complaining about it. The kids have to have specific sized binders...in solid colors, no fun stuff of characters allowed. Specific colored folders made of plastic not paper. Post it notes, Kleenex, Hand Sanitizer, trash bags, paper plates, coffee filters....yeah these are the school supplies required by the school. And the kids aren't allowed to have any folders or books that are personalized. They can't label anything and they can't buy the fun stuff or individualized folders and binders. They all have to be specific solid colors and no personalization. Sounds like a scam to me and the teachers are trying to get more stuff. I hate the school system. About 15 years ago when my hubby's son was in elementary school, he donated computers for all the grades for the kids to use. You know what the school did? They took all those nice new computers which weren't cheap back then and used them for the teachers

The whole system needs an overhaul and the teachers and schools need to stop taking advantage. Oh yeah, they also had to have blue, black and red pens. I asked my grandson why they needed 3 color pens. He said..."they use them to grade papers for the teachers"
That's plain pathetic about the kids not being able to personalize their things ... How are they going to know which binder is theirs if they get mixed up with another child's ... The other items seem to be over kill ... Also, what's up with the coffee filters?? Last I checked, kids don't drink coffee ....

Old 08-07-2011, 04:15 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,034,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post

That's because our news tends to be more agenda-driven versus objective ... By the way, there is no such thing as unbiased news ... The mere act of selecting which stories to run and which to omit is not an objective decision.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:19 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,335,925 times
Yep I agree with the Chatteress. I will be needing some Sunday music sense I skipped church.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:47 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,413,771 times
Aks- Thanks for pointing me in another direction. I did hear that second hand and I "know" better.

Our news is bought and paid for and the sensationalism is out of control.

There is no more investigative news to find the truth anymore

Old 08-07-2011, 09:23 PM

Isn’t that the truth!

Today I ordered an item (large one) and they need to ship by a LARGE truck for delivery. They told me in the email that they would deliver to the driveway at the curb on the street. The driver would NOT bring it into the house or the garage. There would be no exceptions to this rule, and I had to sign the delivery paperwork to except the item or they wouldn’t leave it. I sure hope that this isn’t the same driver you had Lisa? lol They also told me it would take 4-5 weeks before being shipped. I’m not in a hurry for it, but I don’t want to be out on the street near the curb opening a large crate during the hot time of the day and then trying to get it into the garage. Please don’t be Lisa’s driver coming here. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics