Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2011, 11:46 AM

1,691 posts, read 3,850,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
On a related note, there was someone that used to go to my college and she invited me to her birthday party (when she went to this college). I met her on facebook and met her a few times in person. Since I only knew her somewhat and I didn't know any of the other people at the party, I didn't go because I thought it would be awkward. But I guess it's a compliment that based on what little she knew of me, she thought I was worthy of attending her party
I tend to a person who gets invited to stuff I don't want to attend and not invited to stuff I would like to attend. I don't get either. "being worthy of attending her party" that is a great way to look at it.

Quote:
On another related note, here's a vent: When people think you need to drink to enjoy being 21. I have a friend that just turned 21 and he doesn't want to drink. I'm not 21 yet, but I don't want to drink either so I can relate to him. Anyway, people are hellbent on getting him drunk. But I don't understand why. It's his life, not theirs. If they want to get drunk, that's their decision. But if my friend doesn't want to drink, that's his decision and not someone else's. They should just accept the fact that he views alcohol differently than they do.
some people feel odd when they are with people who don't want to drink. When you get older you will find out that it doesn't matter after awhile. Age and more experience helps people to accept variances in certain behavior. When you are young and you are with some who is not drinking they (the drinkers) can take it personally. they shouldn't but they do. Kind of the "you think you are better then us" approach to partying. I never drank till later and most of my close friends did. Some understood but it was the ones who were smashed who didn't and wanted me to drink. the reasons were numerous. Stick to your guns, plant you feet and tell them "someone has to be sober to tell the police/paramedics or someone what really happened here". or try "yes but by not drinking I will have one great tell all book and makes millions! how do you spell your last name again?"

Quote:
Another vent is when people think any birthday after 21 is pointless. Some people are so delusional that they think 21 is old and they don't want to get any older. Anyone who thinks that way must center their life around alcohol. Why else would they think any birthday after 21 is pointless? I don't get it...they're so excited to turn 21 so they can drink legally but then they turn 21 and complain that they're old and they don't want to get any older. It's sad that so many people go through life with that mindset.
I think you have the answer in the question. 21 the magic age where you are now legally an adult in all countries and states. Plus look at those who are actually saying that... are they drinkers? I stopped counting my age around 21. Once again when you get older you will find that no matter how many years you put on you will always be 21 at heart and never really think of yourself as being older. I know I am in my 40's looking at 50 (OMG!) but I still feel like I should be in my 20's . My body tells me differently every day... but the 20's were a wild ride.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:53 AM

1,691 posts, read 3,850,269 times
Quote:
You might be onto something. From his point of view, maybe he wishes I could show up even though he realizes I won't be able to.

But from my point of view, it makes me feel like a bad friend to decline an invitation.

But it's a good thing I have an excuse to not go, since people I dislike got invited
I can understand. I hate having to say no even though I would love to go. Mom and dad had to decline my neices graduation they just couldn't make it.

and yes I have declined invites for not wanting to have a "scene" with idiots who were also invited. as well as not going because of one person who ALWAYS takes photos of everyone even though I tell them specificly DO NOT take my photo!. They do it anyways. irks me off so I don't attend events when they are there.

never worry about decline. you are asked and if the answer is no, well then so be it.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:21 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,178,163 times
Quote:
I hate it when there's a new post on a thread and I get excited thinking someone responded to me only to find out the new post is something I don't care about

Yeah, because everything is all about you.

Old 04-29-2011, 03:53 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,872,345 times
Texas is burning from border to border, the Midwest and southeast is destroyed by tornadoes and flooding, Japan is radioactive, Africans are killed or going hungry, North African countries are having riots and overthrowing the government, icecaps are melting, glaciers have nearly disappeared, New Zealand had their earthquake, eastern Australia was flooded, and I had to wait in line to get a cup of coffee at McD’s this morning. I got nothing to vent about today.

OH,,, wait there was 5 gallons of gas that cost me $20

Old 04-29-2011, 07:53 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,324,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Texas is burning from border to border, the Midwest and southeast is destroyed by tornadoes and flooding, Japan is radioactive, Africans are killed or going hungry, North African countries are having riots and overthrowing the government, icecaps are melting, glaciers have nearly disappeared, New Zealand had their earthquake, eastern Australia was flooded, and I had to wait in line to get a cup of coffee at McD’s this morning. I got nothing to vent about today.

OH,,, wait there was 5 gallons of gas that cost me $20
Oh sheeottt! this makes me hopping mad too through in all the people who vote for the rich to get richer and the real average Joes to just to be kicked to the curb like rubbish Oh and it cost $65 bucks to fill my car up.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:55 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,872,345 times
I wanted to plan on another short trip this year via car and see several other National Parks nearby. However I checked on what the amount of gas that was used a year ago and I can’t afford the increased costs. It’s off the table now for any reasonable trip, I’m staying home and saving the fuel. Everyone loses from cafes, restaurants, hotels/motels, gift shops, tour guides etc etc will be seeing less visitor money being spent this summer. Thanks Exxon/Mobile, I hope you enjoy the $11 Billion profit you got on the first ¼ of the year so far.

And I as a taxpayer do not owe a profit to a corporation or company that gets government welfare aid! Enough is enough! >*@+.** <^** # And BP isn’t any better then Exxon.

I don't even want to make a weekend trip and burn a tank full of gas with what it costs at the pumps now.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:53 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,983,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I wanted to plan on another short trip this year via car and see several other National Parks nearby. However I checked on what the amount of gas that was used a year ago and I can’t afford the increased costs. It’s off the table now for any reasonable trip, I’m staying home and saving the fuel. Everyone loses from cafes, restaurants, hotels/motels, gift shops, tour guides etc etc will be seeing less visitor money being spent this summer. Thanks Exxon/Mobile, I hope you enjoy the $11 Billion profit you got on the first ¼ of the year so far.

And I as a taxpayer do not owe a profit to a corporation or company that gets government welfare aid! Enough is enough! >*@+.** <^** # And BP isn’t any better then Exxon.

I don't even want to make a weekend trip and burn a tank full of gas with what it costs at the pumps now.
Thank people that vote the same millionaire politicians back in too. Or trade cards and the other side is just about the same. They got theirs and can get more if they favor them thats got it. The system is broken, this 2 party farce, both lying to us at election time, then forgetting every promise they made, It has to stop. But so it goes with some useless people running to line their own pockets and inflate their egos. Someday, maybe people will unite but not until its hurting us all. And the rich get richer, they feel no gas pains, and life is good. I don't hate all the rich people, I do despise the ones that do nothing good with their money or but if they genuinely care about a cause I'm glad they are able to help. How about a special vote on whether to give mr. exon or mr general, or other bloated corporations welfare? No, they decide for us, because they represent us...haha. Their only interests are self interests, the little guy matters none, except when needing their votes.

Dumb Dubya got us into the war, He lied, yet he walked away with a fat pension for life and the sun on his back. Checked out of da hotel and left us the bill, so to speak. And I thought Obamanable was going to get us out of Iraq. But we are still there, and this really pisses me off, as a Veteran. I'm tired of business as usual, but its just the same today as tomorrow. Ok, that's my rant for the hour.

Old 04-30-2011, 08:50 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,468,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerowyn View Post
Ok now that I calmed myself down by reading and replying to a few other note worthy rants. I would like to place a ponderable out there to folks on a touchy subject. Handicap parking spaces... veterans....a people doing a job.... and customers.

Here is what happened. Mom and myself wanted to go to Jim's for breakfast. Ok it was during this morning busy time but we went anyways. We drove through parking all handicap places were taken up. But one spot was taken up by a guy delivering those free paper/magazines that are in the doorways. ( take note closer to the doors were three empty spots for 'to go' orders). He had DV plates but we still felt like he should not have taken up patron parking for his delivery/business.
When he finally backed out of the spot mom (83) gave him the shame-shame fingers and I just shook my head at him. He rolled down his window and immediately started yelling at me and my mom. I told him he should not have parked there to make such a delivery. and he got belligerent and even started calling my mom names. I was beyond laughing now
He ranted about being a disabled vet, serving his country, being shot and severely injured and more. Yes he was almost frothing at the mouth. I just shook my head some more.
He never once ask or let us tell him why we thought what he did was wrong. It was a simple quick drop off, he could have parked in one of the 'to go' spots right in front of the doors. He would have been in and out faster then people who would be picking up their foods to go. but instead he made three handicap vehicles park further out and away from the front doors.

Here is my beef. I could careless about Mr insanity. I am just wondering why is DV more important then anyone else with handicap tags. He went on and on about being a Veteran, serving his country etc. Am I suppose to throw bloody rose petals at his feet? I have three people in my family with handicap tags/placards. He didn't even walk with a limp and he was CARRYING a stack of mags/books! I have two herniated disc in my back and I couldn't have carried that many mags and not limp or show pain. (fyi I don't have handicap tags or a placard for my car)

I think my real problem is not the event but what it stood for... a disable vet USING his title as DV to make him feel more entitled to yell and be belligerent to us. It reminds me of the 'pulling the race card' phrase. Ya know it was one of those moments where you wish you could have said something but the best course of action was to just let the blowhard rant.

After the event someone came up to us and asked what was that all about. I told him we didn't think it was right for someone who was not a customer to take up a paying customer's parking spot close to the front just to make a delivery. The gentleman agreed with me and thought that was a jerky thing to do. I felt better someone agreed.

{post note: I support the troups even married the military for a while myself. many people served in my family. lost a uncle to WWII. Mom puts out over 125 flags every memorial, flag, july 4th days. I have a cousin who recieved several medals of honor in current war. I have many close friends who are serving, have served and are disabled vets themselves. so this isn't a rant about me hating vets}
I'm with you on that. One time I met someone that claimed to be a disabled veteran but she didn't appear disabled to me (unless being fat is a disability). And the guy from your story is obviously not overly disabled (possibly not disabled at all). If he deserves disabled tags, then you definitely do.

This also reminds me of when I was in high school and a Vietnam veteran sped through a stop sign and hit one of my classmate's cars. But the teen got blamed. The veteran was friends with the police and the tow truck guy. He was one of those old guys that's lived in the town forever and knows a lot of people so he gets away with stuff. And they never asked for the teen's side of the story.

I know a guy that went to training for the Vietnam War but never actually got sent to Vietnam and he has veteran plates. That just shows how easy it is to qualify for Veteran plates. My grandpa did training with the military in the early 1960s so he could probably get Veteran plates if he really wanted to. But he doesn't want to because he realizes he's not a Veteran.

And one time a veteran called my mom trying to get her to donate money to the veterans. My mom didn't want to and the guy got rude.

People are entitled to make their own decision about whether or not to donate money to the veterans.

Like you, I'm not hating on veterans. I just don't like when veterans use their status to think they're better than other people. Something else that bothers me is when people my age joined the military and they think they're making the "right choice" and people in college are making the "wrong choice." I have a former friend (I now hate him with a passion, but for another reason) that dropped out of college to join the military and he has that attitude.

Last edited by city_data91; 04-30-2011 at 09:06 AM..

Old 04-30-2011, 08:53 AM

Oh, and some people use other people's disabled tags. I know someone that used her mom's disabled tags. So just because someone has disabled tags doesn't necessarily mean they're for them. I heard some states are requiring photo ID to go along with the disabled tags to prevent this.

Last edited by city_data91; 04-30-2011 at 09:11 AM..

Old 04-30-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerowyn View Post
I think you have the answer in the question. 21 the magic age where you are now legally an adult in all countries and states. Plus look at those who are actually saying that... are they drinkers? I stopped counting my age around 21. Once again when you get older you will find that no matter how many years you put on you will always be 21 at heart and never really think of yourself as being older. I know I am in my 40's looking at 50 (OMG!) but I still feel like I should be in my 20's . My body tells me differently every day... but the 20's were a wild ride.
If you feel like you should be in your 20s, there's nothing wrong with that. But 20s can be anywhere from 20-29.

The point I was making is why do people pick 21 of all ages?

If someone picks 21 as the age where they never want to get any older, the reason must be alcohol-related (because 21 is the drinking age).

22...23...those ages aren't overly old either. So why don't people like being 22 or 23?

Personally, I'm way more excited for 22 and 23 than I am for 21. I have no interest in drinking so I couldn't care less about turning 21. At 22 or 23, I will hopefully make decent money doing a job I love which will mean more freedom.

The thing that excites me most about 21 is how I'm graduating college at 21.

I've seen some people's looks go downhill at 24, so 24 is the first age I'm dreading. But as long as I stay attractive past 24, I'm looking forward to that too.

And people drink underage if they really want to. So I don't understand why 21 is so special. And my friend didn't drink underage, so I don't understand why people are so surprised that he doesn't want to drink now that he's 21.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics