Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2011, 12:27 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,990,968 times

Advertisements

If this bothers you so very much, complain to people that have the power to make changes. I don't think the proceeds for the lottery's in other states do much of anything. They always whine about money, always raise taxes. At least the lottery money is going somewhere many people would say is productive. If people don't maintain at least a c average they lose it don't they? So there are some rules involved. The thing is, to go on and on about this here is obsessive. You want change, then write to people that have the power to make changes to the way the program works. We on c/d can't do anything about how the program is run.

I've had teachers that were awful, some that got off on ridiculing kids and shouldn't have ever been in the teaching profession. I remember being a kid, most older people remember the pains of growing up. I recall thinking this or that was dumb., but I didn't obsess on it. There were no shootings in school when I was a kid, a fight now and then, but no mass murder shootings, because some punks weren't happy with the way other people at school treated them. Yeah, things have changed, but don't blame us because these kids acted out in that manner. Personal responsibility, its not very popular anymore.

Kids today are generally spoiled brats, in my opinion. They expect and many or most aren't grateful at all for how hard their parents have to work to provide for them. My gal's youngest brother is 19. He lives in the Philippines, he will never be able to go to college, or have a high paying job. His hopes and dreams are a drop of water compared to most of the kids here. People there are grateful for having enough to survive. So I do get tired of hearing the poor me saga when you could have it much worse.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:24 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,477,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
If this bothers you so very much, complain to people that have the power to make changes. I don't think the proceeds for the lottery's in other states do much of anything. They always whine about money, always raise taxes. At least the lottery money is going somewhere many people would say is productive. If people don't maintain at least a c average they lose it don't they? So there are some rules involved. The thing is, to go on and on about this here is obsessive. You want change, then write to people that have the power to make changes to the way the program works. We on c/d can't do anything about how the program is run.

I've had teachers that were awful, some that got off on ridiculing kids and shouldn't have ever been in the teaching profession. I remember being a kid, most older people remember the pains of growing up. I recall thinking this or that was dumb., but I didn't obsess on it. There were no shootings in school when I was a kid, a fight now and then, but no mass murder shootings, because some punks weren't happy with the way other people at school treated them. Yeah, things have changed, but don't blame us because these kids acted out in that manner. Personal responsibility, its not very popular anymore.

Kids today are generally spoiled brats, in my opinion. They expect and many or most aren't grateful at all for how hard their parents have to work to provide for them. My gal's youngest brother is 19. He lives in the Philippines, he will never be able to go to college, or have a high paying job. His hopes and dreams are a drop of water compared to most of the kids here. People there are grateful for having enough to survive. So I do get tired of hearing the poor me saga when you could have it much worse.
You need a 2.5 GPA to maintain the scholarship, but that's extremely easy to do. A monkey could do it. I only know of 1 person who lost it, and I've posted about him before...the fat dumb loser that dropped out. He lost the scholarship due to a combination of being dumb and putting no effort into his classes. Even though he's not very bright, he could probably keep the scholarship if he at least put some effort in. Maybe he would still be in college if he kept the scholarship...the main reason he dropped out was financial.

He certainly didn't earn the scholarship with his high school grades, but he's an example of someone that deserves it due to financial need. But apparently the scholarship didn't mean too much to him since he put no effort into his classes. That's an example of the entitlement that goes along with the scholarship...people expect the scholarship so they don't put any effort in.

My scholarship actually has standards. You need a 3.25 (they raised it to 3.5 but I'm not sure if that applies to me since I was accepted under the old guidelines).

My peers already have the scholarship so there's nothing I can do about that. But I will be laughing on the inside when they've been in college for 4 years and haven't graduated yet so they need to pay tuition.

Complaining to the people with the power to make changes would be better than nothing. But like I said, it wouldn't affect my peers. And I might not even live in this state anymore after college.

As for kids these days being spoiled...I agree with you on that. But who spoiled them? The parents. If you're not happy with the way a kid was raised, don't just blame the kid. What about the parents who raised them that way? I don't understand why people raise a generation to be spoiled and then they act surprised/angry when the kids grow up to be spoiled.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:57 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,048,366 times
Some day, there will be a "city_data2021", a forum member born in a future generation who will look back and blame everyone born in the 90's for the condition of the world. I hope it doesn't take until then for some to see themselves and realize that they could have had a much different and more positive approach to today's problems.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:32 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,227,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I'm not necessarily saying my generation will fix everything. I think there's a chance we might screw things up. But the point I was trying to make is how if we screw things up, it would be our own mess. The older generation raised us and forced us to be in their mess.

If teenagers have a hard time following the rules and norms that people set for them, maybe the reason is because other people from another generation made the rules and decided how we would live. It's not our fault if we can't live up to the expectations that the older generation forced upon us. I find it ironic how the teenagers from 20 years ago are suddenly mature now and they look down upon teenagers. But 20 years ago, these people acted the same way as the current teens.

I have more respect for people from the older generation if they're understanding of teenagers.

I have 3 year old cousins and I plan on being understanding of them when they're teenagers.

Like I said, we might screw things up in the future, but at least we would get to live by our own rules and norms.

On a side note: The song makes me think of the Algebra 2 teacher I had during my junior year of high school. People like her are exactly what the song is against.

That's why I said it wouldn't be so bad if the scholarship was need based and/or a reward for good grades. In that case, they would earn the scholarship. And your kids would deserve the scholarship.

But I know a lot of lazy, not so bright, upper middle class students with average grades and they automatically get the scholarship just for going to high school in this state. Why on earth should they get handed the scholarship? They just as likely could of gone to high school in another state, but it just so happens they went to high school here.

And I just as likely could of gone to high school here but it just so happens I was raised elsewhere. If I went to high school here, the scholarship would get handed to me. But I got good grades in high school, so I would deserve it.

Why should my family need to pay tuition just because I wasn't lucky enough to go to high school here?

But the scholarship runs out after 4 years and a lot of people will need longer to graduate, so I guess they'll get what they deserve when 4 years goes by and they actually need to pay tuition (oh, the horror )

What bothers me the most is how some people are so entitled they don't realize there's such a thing as in state tuition. With my scholarship, my family pays in state tuition as long as I keep a certain GPA. It's a lot cheaper than out of state tuition. Anyway, some people are so clueless that when I say I have in state tuition, they take that to mean I got the lottery scholarship.

I'm thinking "Um, no. You can only get the lottery scholarship if you went to high school here. This may come as a surprise to you, but there's such a thing as in state tuition. It's what you'll be paying when 4 years goes by and you haven't graduated yet "

It's understandable if a sheltered young student living off their parents doesn't realize the concept of tuition. But there was a 31 year old that also thought I got the lottery scholarship when I said I have in state tuition. You'd expect her to know better.

Not everyone is ungrateful. There are some people that need and/or deserve it. But if this state is going to hand out free tuition to undeserving students, every state should.

Would you want your state's lottery funds paying a dumb student's tuition when their parents could very well afford it?

Some people say Justin Bieber did nothing to get famous. But you know what...he did more to deserve fame than some of these people did to deserve the scholarship.

Georgia has a lottery scholarship called the HOPE scholarship, but you need a B average in high school to qualify. Other states should follow in Georgia's footsteps.
I'm pretty sure that all of us rule making old farts are familiar with resident tuition rates. That's not the real issue though. YOU are upset because you didn't qualify for NM's college program. Oh well.

We need rules in order to have a civilized society. It doesn't matter if you like them or not, they exist for a reason.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:37 PM

987 posts, read 1,747,281 times
My vent for the day (Once Again)
Stinky Tuna & Vinegar Oil eating neighbor in cubicle next to me
Note to self (buy more air freshing spray) any suggestions on the strongest effective scent?

Old 04-25-2011, 03:03 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,272,735 times
agnt.starling...maybe you should get a really obnoxious smelling spray and point it over the cubicle directly at this clueless person.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:03 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,334,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnt.starling View Post
My vent for the day (Once Again)
Stinky Tuna & Vinegar Oil eating neighbor in cubicle next to me
Note to self (buy more air freshing spray) any suggestions on the strongest effective scent?
That is a terrible combination to smell when your not the one doing the dieting. Maybe u should return the favor. I had a roommate once who opened a can of oysters and it was very unpleasant.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:44 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,401,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
You need a 2.5 GPA to maintain the scholarship, but that's extremely easy to do. A monkey could do it. I only know of 1 person who lost it, and I've posted about him before...the fat dumb loser that dropped out. He lost the scholarship due to a combination of being dumb and putting no effort into his classes. Even though he's not very bright, he could probably keep the scholarship if he at least put some effort in. Maybe he would still be in college if he kept the scholarship...the main reason he dropped out was financial.

He certainly didn't earn the scholarship with his high school grades, but he's an example of someone that deserves it due to financial need. But apparently the scholarship didn't mean too much to him since he put no effort into his classes. That's an example of the entitlement that goes along with the scholarship...people expect the scholarship so they don't put any effort in.

My scholarship actually has standards. You need a 3.25 (they raised it to 3.5 but I'm not sure if that applies to me since I was accepted under the old guidelines).

My peers already have the scholarship so there's nothing I can do about that. But I will be laughing on the inside when they've been in college for 4 years and haven't graduated yet so they need to pay tuition.

Complaining to the people with the power to make changes would be better than nothing. But like I said, it wouldn't affect my peers. And I might not even live in this state anymore after college.

As for kids these days being spoiled...I agree with you on that. But who spoiled them? The parents. If you're not happy with the way a kid was raised, don't just blame the kid. What about the parents who raised them that way? I don't understand why people raise a generation to be spoiled and then they act surprised/angry when the kids grow up to be spoiled.
If I remember correctly, you said that his family was going through some crisis. When you go through crisis, your academic performances tend to drop slightly and school seem less important. Some people can pull good grades while going through crisis, many cannot.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:04 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,516,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
agnt.starling...maybe you should get a really obnoxious smelling spray and point it over the cubicle directly at this clueless person.
Good idea, do they make farts in a spray can

Old 04-25-2011, 04:36 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,477,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anberlin View Post
If I remember correctly, you said that his family was going through some crisis. When you go through crisis, your academic performances tend to drop slightly and school seem less important. Some people can pull good grades while going through crisis, many cannot.
His dad is a trucker despite having a PhD and the family couldn't afford college. That's not exactly a crisis.

The family could afford college when he had his scholarship (since he had free tuition). But if you want to call the family's finances a crisis, the crisis didn't start until after he got bad grades (because that was the point when he lost the scholarship and they had to pay tuition).

The point is the crisis could be avoided if he got better grades in the first place.

And we're not even talking good grades. You only need a 2.5 GPA to keep the scholarship. Since you're in college, you should understand how easy that is. I don't know how hard of a college you go to, but at my college, it's ridiculously easy to keep a 2.5 GPA

He didn't even try. He found humor in the fact that he never did schoolwork. Honestly, I don't know what he did with all his time (he didn't work, he didn't study, he didn't do homework). But he was bragging about all his one night stands. Maybe that's what he did in his free time.

And there was another student that made the decision mid semester during Spring 2010 to join the military and he stopped trying in his classes for the rest of that semester. Sure, he was leaving, so school wasn't very important to him anymore. But if he was paying, he would probably try even though he knew he was leaving. Not to mention the fact that he plans on going back to college after his time in the military and his GPA will transfer over. Oh, and his parents bought him a 2007 car as a high school graduation gift. He's another example of an entitled person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics