Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2010, 07:28 AM

8,545 posts, read 10,301,457 times

Advertisements

What I always try to remember is that someone who takes their own life is not in their right mind or they would not consider that..so sad..have had several suicides in my family too and lots of depression. Wish there were an answer. I just say prayers for all who are afflicted with this horrible disease.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:03 AM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,181,178 times
AsarbeN~very sad..I am so sorry for the loss of your friend..

He sounds like he was a good man whose death will be a loss to many.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:08 PM

9,802 posts, read 16,287,373 times
Speaking of suicides--------one day I was counting the number of people I knew well, at some point in my lifetime , who had committed suicide.The # was 15 ( relatives, co-workers , friends)I think about many of them often.Always amazed at the huge crowds that show up at the funerals and how many people said they will miss the guy and how much they really liked him.Maybe it would have helped if they had expressed some of their love and feelings before he committed suicide.Maybe not.I don't know cuz each case is different.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:41 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,331,093 times
I often wonder if it would make a difference if they knew how deeply their action would hurt their loved ones. But, as Ask mentioned, they're not based in reality when they make that decision, so it probably wouldn't. My heart goes out to all who cared for him.

Old 04-25-2010, 04:33 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,275,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Always amazed at the huge crowds that show up at the funerals and how many people said they will miss the guy and how much they really liked him.Maybe it would have helped if they had expressed some of their love and feelings before he committed suicide.Maybe not.I don't know cuz each case is different.
So sorry for your losses as well that is a lot in one lifetime. You could be right about people expressing themselves more. That is why I tell my family if somebody can't participate in my life they don't need to bother coming to console my family when I'm dead.

Old 04-25-2010, 04:42 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,780,974 times
Aks....so sorry for your loss of your friend as well as his family...a terrible tragedy that I don't think anyone understands.

Old 04-25-2010, 05:45 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,301,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Speaking of suicides--------one day I was counting the number of people I knew well, at some point in my lifetime , who had committed suicide.The # was 15 ( relatives, co-workers , friends)I think about many of them often.Always amazed at the huge crowds that show up at the funerals and how many people said they will miss the guy and how much they really liked him.Maybe it would have helped if they had expressed some of their love and feelings before he committed suicide.Maybe not.I don't know cuz each case is different.
That's a tough one..when one is so severly depressed that they consider that as the only way 'out', would love and attention from friends and loved ones help? I dunno but of course trying anything can't hurt. Most folks are unaware of the severity of their loved ones depression or feel helpless. Just my opinion.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:57 PM

3,970 posts, read 8,552,855 times
AksarbeN - So sorry for your loss. Wish there was more we could do.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:19 AM

4,279 posts, read 10,389,217 times
Aksarben... sorry for your loss. We lost a friend to suicide just over a year ago. I know how hard it is. To this day I can't seem to get my head wrapped around why they did it, especially when four amazing children were left behind. I hope this man's family are coping and have somewhere to turn.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:36 PM

31,304 posts, read 33,022,335 times
Angry Political views at Church

On Saturday my wife and I attended the celebration of life memorial services at a local church for a person we’ve know for about 25 years. He (Richard) was the husband of our tax advisor and preparer over the years. This is not Radolfo who I spoke about earlier in another post.

So we attended the Saturday memorial service out of respect for his wife and family. Things seemed to go very well for the most part until it came time for an individual to speak about Richard’s life. The problem came when they started talking “political views” that Richard had while he was alive and turned into pointed political comments that were too offensive to those of other views.

This is a celebration of life memorial service and to my wife and I it was inappropriate to bring political views into the comments being spoken. Some others in attendance like myself were offended and we managed to discreetly got up and left the services.

So why would anyone in their right mind bring political views into a room full of people not knowing their personal views or how they would accept the comments being made? What a slap in the face and how inappropriate to do this! We left quietly and sorry that we attended out of respect for the family only to be insulted while being there in a church.

I always thought and felt that the church was non political in this country, this was the first time I've heard of politics inside of one. And the God I know wouldn't have made the comments we heard coming from inside the front of the church!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics