Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 11:44 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,142,752 times

Advertisements

Thanks for pointing that out smoker. I guess I'm kinda hesitant at times to make postings because of a "no one's interested in your thoughts" kinda attitude. Anyways I'm glad you said that because when I make a posting commenting on someone's thread I always like to have a response so why wouldn't other people?
Anyways I appreciate everyone's comments (cept for the mormon thing I won't even go there! Funny how the first thing that comes outta some people's mouths when you even mention Utah is something about those Mormons!). I think Travel'r had some good points about the techology thing and how things have replaced face to face interaction. It's too bad some people would rather send an email rather than pick up the phone and actually talk to the person. Thanks for the ideas cil! Gee I wish you lived on my block. I don't think I'm outgoing enough to pull something like that off though. A little too shy. It's not all that bad though I mean we do have a mother's walking/play group in our neighborhood and sometimes we have bbq's too. So I do do quite a few things with other mom's and stuff. I just really miss the "true" friendship that I have in Alberta. It seems that a lot of people are just so...kinda closed if that makes sense. Not willing to really open up and get to know someone and let someone know them. I don't know if it's fear of getting hurt because the closer someone is to your heart the more they can hurt you.
Crew Chief mentioned that this forum can be used as an outlet. So I guess the technology thing kinda works positive and negative. Hey I met my husband this way and things worked out great so there must be some positive! I am definately grateful for forums like this where one can talk to others over 3 years of age and express opinions and thoughts.
I thank everyone for their thoughts on this subject and any more are welcome!
Hey DeLaSalle....care to elaborate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2007, 01:05 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,645,971 times
Well enough about me...what do YOU think of me? I love the that sarcastic line.

Old 03-23-2007, 08:13 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,481,559 times
This thread has nothing to do with me, so I don't see any reason to pay it any more attention...

Old 03-24-2007, 08:54 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,936,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
Why arn't people more courteous? Were did the sincerity go??
Anyways I just wanted to let this out. I don't know if i'm making any sense here.
I don't equate politely turning down dinner invitations with a lack of courteousness, or even a lack of sincerity.

Old 03-24-2007, 09:32 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,142,752 times
I never said they were politely refused.....if they were that would be ok but I said they were often met with lame excuses about being to busy....ya you're too busy to eat. Now if you have other plans and would rather do that that's fine....at least fes up and not hide behind some lame excuses. I mean really why are people so afraid of the truth? You're not gonna hurt someone's feelings by saying you were planning something else or that you wanted to spend the night with your family. And if you do hurt someone's feelings then that's their problem. Sometimes when something's left up to the imagination it's worse than what the actual truth is.

Old 03-24-2007, 10:44 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,936,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
I never said they were politely refused.....if they were that would be ok but I said they were often met with lame excuses about being to busy....
That sounds like a form of politely declining your offer, to me. Most people I've come across aren't comfortable being really direct when turning down a social offer. In my world, saying you're too busy is a polite way of doing this. (Although, I admit, it leaves open some ambiguity. Maybe they really are too busy now and would be open for it in the future? But then, they would probably emphasize that, if so.)

Also, I think it's pretty laughable that you would compalin that they have dinner with their family, but decline an offer to have dinner with a relative stranger. Why would you expect to have anything like a comparable claim on their time?

Last edited by ApartmentNomad; 03-24-2007 at 11:39 AM..

Old 03-25-2007, 02:46 PM

786 posts, read 4,732,860 times
Our street is like that. We live so close to each other but do not know each other. I doubt people are all that busy other wise there would not be so many message boards and TV watching. I think they just use busy as an excuse to get out of what they feel would be a boring get together. I do not like spending any real time with people who I do not have alot of chemistry with. I only enjoy maybe one in ten of the people I meet. The other 9 are usually nice enough people but I just do not connect.

Maybe you come off as to eager.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics