Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 05:08 AM

923 posts, read 3,521,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
"Those were the good ol' days" when everbody on the block new eachother and we were all friends and did things for eachother; looked after eachother's kids and had block parties and always had time for friends.

I've heard this foreign talk from people before but unfortunately I don't really relate to it. I moved here from Canada 6 years ago. My husband's family was....to make a long story short...no support (except for one uncle) So here we were with pretty much noone but eachother. We tried so hard to extend ourselves; inviting over new young couples in our neighborhood for dinner. Out of the many couples we tried to friendship we made a "casual" friendship with one. Oftentimes our invitations were met with lame, tired excuses such as "we're too busy". No you're not too busy; it's a matter of priorities. You're not too busy to go over to your families for Sunday dinner so why are you to busy to come over here? Ok we may not be your favorite people in the world but you wouldn't really know would you because you don't really know us. It just seems like so many young people nowadays have lost a sense of kindness and concern for others because they're too wrapped up in their own lives. I mean since I've come here I could come up with quite a few instances where it's just like why?? Why arn't people more courteous? Were did the sincerity go??
Anyways I just wanted to let this out. I don't know if i'm making any sense here.
Excellent questions...Many answers...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2007, 07:09 AM

13,392 posts, read 45,157,692 times
Dreameyes
On our old block in Denver, I organized a women's book club, progressive dinners, and block parties. People really took to it. We ended up with a very tight block.
Maybe you need to start over again? Or maybe with the warmer weather, people will indeed "come out of hibernation."
I also wonder about the same thing Burdell mentioned, but I really don't know.
I really sympathize. I started over again in '05, and now I'll be starting over yet again at the end of May.

Old 03-17-2007, 02:06 PM

6,350 posts, read 21,598,832 times
Sigh...I dream of the day I can work part-time and have plenty of time to volunteer around town and give something back. I, too, am frustrated that many of us "'Mericans" have turned inwards and have some much community spirit and even time for those most closest to us. So many community social and other groups that formerly had no problems recruiting new members are getting smaller every day. So many communities depend on volunteer firefighters but people nowadays work too many hours to have time for training, much less time to respond to emergencies. Few employers will understand you running off when the pager beeps. I'm in the same boat; I work 12-14 hours every day. I wish I had time to interact more with others. (Hmmm, mabye this forum is that outlet... ) Others have menytioned too much interaction with our electronics instead of humans. Maybe this is a good example...

Old 03-17-2007, 09:20 PM

484 posts, read 1,949,921 times
Default Maybe it's religion

I noticed that you moved to Salt Lake City, a.k.a. Mormon Central. If you're not Mormon, that might explain why your neighbors don't want to associate with you.

Old 03-17-2007, 09:38 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,288,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
I wish I had time to interact more with others. (Hmmm, mabye this forum is that outlet... ) Others have menytioned too much interaction with our electronics instead of humans. Maybe this is a good example...
I think you've hit on something. I am a single mom, have a demanding job that requires that I work nights and weekends frequently, my kids have one activity each- taking up two Mon-Thurs evenings. Then I have my mom to spend time with and church. Talking on the phone is not something I like to do, as I get work-related calls 24/7 and my home isn't visitor-friendly during the workweek. My online friends are my connection with others- my "me time" that I can tap into whenever I can log on and on my terms.

Old 03-17-2007, 10:41 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,818,946 times
I'm certainly not self absorbed! And I resent the implication. Now, if you'll excuse me, its time for my massage.

Old 03-19-2007, 03:51 AM

6,350 posts, read 21,598,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinfla View Post
I think you've hit on something. I am a single mom, have a demanding job that requires that I work nights and weekends frequently, my kids have one activity each- taking up two Mon-Thurs evenings. Then I have my mom to spend time with and church. Talking on the phone is not something I like to do, as I get work-related calls 24/7 and my home isn't visitor-friendly during the workweek. My online friends are my connection with others- my "me time" that I can tap into whenever I can log on and on my terms.
Mom, I know it's not easy juggling all that! But it looks like you have your priorities straight (your kids ) I lived with a collection of stepmothers along the way() And I know it wasn't easy for my dad having two kids AND a Navy career. But that's a whole 'nother thread for some other time. I'm an outgoing motor-mouth and my wife is a more private person. She's a teacher and is "on" all day. I, on the other hand, sit by myself in a truck cab all night. So this forum is a nice outlet for me. Especially since I share many interests with a lot of the other members. And I believe most of us here have that "wanderlust" gene in common

Old 03-21-2007, 09:36 AM

2,776 posts, read 4,011,472 times
Default self-absorption/un-neighborly behavior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
"Those were the good ol' days" when everbody on the block new eachother and we were all friends and did things for eachother; looked after eachother's kids and had block parties and always had time for friends.

I've heard this foreign talk from people before but unfortunately I don't really relate to it. I moved here from Canada 6 years ago. My husband's family was....to make a long story short...no support (except for one uncle) So here we were with pretty much noone but eachother. We tried so hard to extend ourselves; inviting over new young couples in our neighborhood for dinner. Out of the many couples we tried to friendship we made a "casual" friendship with one. Oftentimes our invitations were met with lame, tired excuses such as "we're too busy". No you're not too busy; it's a matter of priorities. You're not too busy to go over to your families for Sunday dinner so why are you to busy to come over here? Ok we may not be your favorite people in the world but you wouldn't really know would you because you don't really know us. It just seems like so many young people nowadays have lost a sense of kindness and concern for others because they're too wrapped up in their own lives. I mean since I've come here I could come up with quite a few instances where it's just like why?? Why arn't people more courteous? Were did the sincerity go??
Anyways I just wanted to let this out. I don't know if i'm making any sense here.
It is a two-way street in that for a relationship to be formed both parties need to be interested. That said, it is amazing but I've had neighbors like this - who have no interest in getting to know those around them. It does appear that a lot of people would rather be conservative and try to avoid ackward interactions these days even if it means not getting to know anyone else. It's too bad really. I know how cool it is to be friends with neighbors, to be able to throw little block parties and have a good time... the good old days when I was younger... it was a lot of fun. Perhaps the new U.S. neighborhood concepts I've read/heard about where there is a tiny community shopping center in the middle and shared land for get togethers will bring back the old style "village like" atmosphere that seems to be missing these days.

Old 03-21-2007, 10:56 AM

2,303 posts, read 5,695,441 times
I think every house in my neighborhood has a big sponge that each household member jumps into before they leave the house and after they leave. I have yet for a next door neighbor to acknowledge a wave or a head nod that I give. My S.O. is very shy and never really spoke to people to begin with, and I've always been the opposite...if I'm not dazed and thinking about something else, I always wave...now I've just given up and I don't feel like myself because I feel like I'm being mean or selfish, but I tried.

I know it's not like this in every neighborhood, but gosh, why did I have to end up in one in which people act like they have something stuck up their you know whats? Mind y'all, I don't even live in some uppity neighborhood with million dollar houses. This neighborhood is blue collar and the only people who knock on the door are "homeless" people who ask for money (no joke). And this, my friends, is in North Carolina...

Old 03-22-2007, 02:10 AM

153 posts, read 687,715 times
It's disappointing to not receive more feedback answers from OPs. I particularly agree with the posts by SpeedyAZ and Travelr. Times and things change times and things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics