Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2021, 10:40 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,445,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Where do I even start??? I can't make this shyt up.

So the vacation was fine. The flight home was a total nightmare. We flew first class on United and we always watch the flight tracker. I am not a good flyer and this helps me along with several Percocet's and wine. So it says 30 mins to land and then all of a sudden it changes to 2 hrs and 30 mins to land. I'm like wtf?? I realize we aren't descending into Denver as usual. The pilot gets on and says there's weather so we're going to circle. We circle for almost 30 mins. Then he comes on the microphone and says this: "We can't land in Denver due to weather so we are diverting to Salt Lake City. Plus we are running out of fuel". I mean just totally W T F and why would you say that???? I go into a panic and start crying. So we divert 600 miles!!!! We get into SLC and the flight attendant says "Either we all stay on or we all get off". I'm like UMM NO. Get me off this thing and good luck with that. Can't get a rental car, can't get another flight. I'm hysterical in the airport. Cost us $1000 for everything to get home the next day. They sat on the runway for 2.5 hrs before taking off again.

Kitchen was getting redone while we were gone. Adding glass tile backsplash, travertine tile on floor and new appliances installed. Come home and it's a total mess. Grout all over the tiles (grey grout on merlot colored glass tiles) crooked tiles IN backsplash, chipped glass tiles, grout all over the countertops, floor uneven so when you walk on it you can FEEL the unevenness.

I'm going to have to pay to have it ALL REDONE and I'm extremely overwhelmed with this. I just don't even know what to do. I tried to do something nice while we were gone and it's just all wrong, wrong, wrong.
Sounds like you have had it very rough ( after the vacation). Staying away from airplanes for a while might be best. I know if the pilot said they were running out of fuel mid-flight, I would be freaking out too.

Good on you that you made it through. Have a safe day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2021, 12:39 PM
bjh

60,110 posts, read 30,431,649 times
Irresponsible of the pilot to say that. Feel better, himain.

Old 06-01-2021, 04:23 PM

61,834 posts, read 87,314,674 times
Dumb automation.
(screenshot from my phone)

Serious gaslighting...

Old 06-01-2021, 04:47 PM

61,834 posts, read 87,314,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post

So the vacation was fine. The flight home was a total nightmare. We flew first class on United and we always watch the flight tracker. I am not a good flyer and this helps me along with several Percocet's and wine. So it says 30 mins to land and then all of a sudden it changes to 2 hrs and 30 mins to land. I'm like wtf?? I realize we aren't descending into Denver as usual. The pilot gets on and says there's weather so we're going to circle. We circle for almost 30 mins. Then he comes on the microphone and says this: "We can't land in Denver due to weather so we are diverting to Salt Lake City. Plus we are running out of fuel". I mean just totally W T F and why would you say that???? I go into a panic and start crying. So we divert 600 miles!!!! We get into SLC and the flight attendant says "Either we all stay on or we all get off". I'm like UMM NO. Get me off this thing and good luck with that. Can't get a rental car, can't get another flight. I'm hysterical in the airport. Cost us $1000 for everything to get home the next day. They sat on the runway for 2.5 hrs before taking off again.

I understand your panic and also think, if this was the actual pilot response - he didn't handle the situation well.
I am a frequent flyer, especially long haul/overseas. So, I experienced all kind of emergencies, which makes me pretty stoic in such situations.
Regardless of "wordings", I take a pragmatic approach and instead of panic, work on plan B.
Been sitting on the runaway longer that 2.5 hrs, left stranded at airports, dealt with huge delays and cancellations, got diverted to different airports, my passport or tickets were not recognized by the systems, lost luggage ...etc.
Flights not always happen according to plans.

Old 06-02-2021, 10:18 AM

24,496 posts, read 26,042,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Dumb automation.
(screenshot from my phone)

Serious gaslighting...
Don't get me started. Wanted to make a on line Dr appt and send a message to another. Yet again the IT Wizards have made so many changes They think enhance the system but it is now so bloated it's easier and faster to pick up the phone.

On the IT help line I lift a scorching hot message.

Old 06-03-2021, 09:11 AM

32,944 posts, read 3,934,179 times
I learned a long time ago to be around when hired workers are doing anything on my house. Hover if necessary. We have caught mistakes that were about to happen.

Old 06-04-2021, 09:24 AM

5,238 posts, read 4,068,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
I learned a long time ago to be around when hired workers are doing anything on my house. Hover if necessary. We have caught mistakes that were about to happen.
Good idea, but I initially read it as “Hoover if necessary”, as if you should clean up before they arrive.

Old 06-05-2021, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
My garden shed is getting on my nerves. It’s getting a bit old now (just like me!), and it’s falling apart (just like me!).

It’s wooden, and two of the slats have fallen down. I’ve tried hammering some nails into the slats, but I just can’t seem to be able to do so! I’m there banging on the nails with a hammer but it just makes a noise and the nails won’t go in!!

So, I gave up on that, and tried some ‘No More Nails’ glue. They stayed up for a bit... then we had some windy weather... and they fell down again. So it didn’t live up to its name. (Or maybe I did a botched job?).

I don’t know what to do about it. The rain is gonna get blown in there, during the Winter. I would have the bloody thing knocked down, but my daughter keeps her bike in there, as we haven’t got a garage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
We had more stormy weather after this, and now my shed has a big hole in it, from a number of wooden slats being blown down. It looks a real mess now, and I’m thinking of getting it knocked down.

The moral of the story is... don’t buy ‘No More Nails’ thinking it will hold your garden shed together!
I’m now getting the monstrosity knocked down on Monday!

Old 06-05-2021, 11:53 AM

1,378 posts, read 414,557 times
I hate my job.

Old 06-05-2021, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciKS View Post
I hate my job.
It’s horrible when that happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics