Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2020, 05:50 AM

23,235 posts, read 29,075,721 times

Advertisements

I haven't watched Television in many a year, so it's hard for me to sympathize. My friends, relatives, neighbors know me too well now to ask: What did you think of this Debate or that Debate?

All my "television" involves City-Data and watching DVD's on my portable DVD player. I just found a "Gold Mine" at a nearby Thrift Store, PBS Presidential coverage, 20 DVD's, covering Teddy Roosevelt thru George W. Bush. And, the best part, no commercials!

Either thru thrift stores or used record shops, I usually accumulate around 100 at a time, to last me a couple months.

Can someone please tell me what I'm missing by not having a Television set? Am I destined to go to hell for not owning one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2020, 05:54 AM

An ongoing complaint: retyping words with spellcheck! This is just one more reason, besides the glare of the screen, I only spend one hour a day on the Internet.

And even during that one hour, you can count on 50 swear words spewing out of my mouth, when I have to backspace and retype a word I didn't spell right, or keyed in the wrong letter.

One day, I'll have Dragon Software. When I worked at a LTC/Rehab facility, I took care of a quadriplegic that had no use of his arms or legs, so someone hooked him up to a computer with this fabulous software where you merely speak to the computer and it does everything for you, no typing!

Old 10-15-2020, 06:45 PM

32,953 posts, read 36,412,347 times
Maybe you should get an anti-glare filter for your screen.

Old 10-15-2020, 06:51 PM

6,127 posts, read 4,616,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Maybe you should get an anti-glare filter for your screen.
Speaking of anti-glare, what's up with these super-bright LED headlights on vehicles these days? Even on the default setting, apparently, it looks like vehicles have their high beams on which blinds oncoming traffic. Do people driving these (and the companies that make them) just not get it or just don't care? How do these even pass a safety inspection?

Old 10-15-2020, 09:01 PM

32,953 posts, read 36,412,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Speaking of anti-glare, what's up with these super-bright LED headlights on vehicles these days? Even on the default setting, apparently, it looks like vehicles have their high beams on which blinds oncoming traffic. Do people driving these (and the companies that make them) just not get it or just don't care? How do these even pass a safety inspection?
They're very noticeable in woodsy suburban areas. I used to live in a township with a lot of two lane roads with no shoulder and drainage ditches on either side. Being suddenly blinded by those lights could hurt and be expensive.

Old 10-16-2020, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Not just headlights but tail lights as well! It's pollution of a different kind, light pollution!

Old 10-17-2020, 08:35 PM

6,157 posts, read 4,533,615 times
How do I signal to someone that they only have one headlight? Is there a code or a gesture or something? I see this weekly and it's very upsetting because if I had only one headlight I'd sure like for someone to let me know.

Old 10-17-2020, 10:48 PM

3,652 posts, read 1,607,258 times
Money bucket collectors at busy intersections

Still bugs me breakfast at some fast food places end at 11am, some at 10:30am

You never see the manager at stores like Walmart, etc. Their pic is on the wall, but they hide somewhere.

Local tv news shows great HD traffic cams but I can't find those anywhere online to view myself.

Old 10-21-2020, 11:50 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,940,891 times
Having been a victim of cc and debit card theft have stopped using them to s small degree.

With the no ID needed it is a Free day for any thief.

From what I read entering the card and w/o any PIN just press the credit button to make the purchase ...no cash back.

My cards are on ice and have returned back to using cash from the bank ATM.

No what, am finding my debit account balance a bit fuller lately.

Old 10-22-2020, 12:34 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,667,263 times
PayPal allowing scammers to use their services but when the buyer gets scammed they don't care. I know first hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics