Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 10:02 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,427,785 times

Advertisements

Greetings and welcome to the November 6, 2017 questions of the day-
I’m posting from a tablet while away from home, usually I do this via desktop computer so please bear with me if there are typos
Can’t get formatting, colors, underlining etc. right so this post is going to look odd...

Today’s Question:
Do you reuse containers (purchased in a store which initially contained different product) for food, drink, or other storage ?
Do you ever eat over the sink, to avoid making a mess (getting crumbs or spills on floor, or to avoid using a plate and then needing to clean it) ?

Bonus:
When you travel, if you take (non-prescription) vitamins & supplements, do you bring them with you, leave them at home, and/or buy more while there ?

Extra Credit:
Has a (wild) bird ever flown into your home ?
Have you seen a bird flying around inside a place of business ?

Just for Fun:
Have you intentionally (knowingly) bought clothing that is aimed at/marketed for other gender bc. you just liked that item better-whether color/pattern, functionality, size, etc ?
Do you have an article of clothing that you treasure & want to keep, but it needs repair (for example: a broken zipper) ?

Today in History:
1946: Birth of actress Sally Field (“Places in the Heart”, “Steel Magnolias”)
1947: Debut of the public affairs tv news program Meet the Press” on NBC
1951: Birth of actor Nigel Havers (Don’t Wait Up, “Chariots of Fire”)
2012: Wisconsin’s Tammy Baldwin becomes first openly gay candidate elected to the United States Senate

Today’s Word:
warren /ˈwôrən,ˈwärən/ (n.): Network of interconnected rabbit holes or burrows,
more broadly refers to mazelike construction in which one can get lost trying to navigate.

Today is:
National Nachos Day
Saxophone Day
-this month is-
Historic Bridge Awareness Month
National Memoir Writing Month
Stomach Cancer Awareness Month
Tiff and Millet (two types of grain) Month

Today’s Picture:
Entrance & exit are at lower middle left & bottom right-

Thought for the Day:
“To profit from good advice requires more wisdom than to give it.”
- John Churton Collins

Wishing everybuggy good fortune, and here’s hoping that fate smiles upon you today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2017, 10:31 PM
bjh

60,527 posts, read 30,685,166 times
Greetings and welcome to the November 6, 2017 questions of the day-I’m posting from a tablet while
away from home, usually I do this via desktop computer so please bear with me if there are typos
Can’t get formatting, colors, underlining etc. right so this post is going to look odd...
Looks just fine.

Today’s Question:
Do you reuse containers (purchased in a store which initially contained different product) for food, drink, or other storage ?
I'll reuse a water bottle once or twice then throw it out. I've poured a fountain drink in an
fresh empty water bottle to keep the drink from going flat. Even have the drink the next day.
Do you ever eat over the sink, to avoid making a mess (getting crumbs or spills on floor,
or to avoid using a plate and then needing to clean it) ?
Never. Rather be comfortable.

Bonus:
When you travel, if you take (non-prescription) vitamins & supplements, do you bring them with you, l
eave them at home, and/or buy more while there ?
Bring with if going away long enough and remember to pack them.

Extra Credit:
Not into the house.
Once one got "trapped" in a 3 sided porch and took a while for the birdbrain to figure it out.

Many times. Some of them nest in there.

Just for Fun:
Have you intentionally (knowingly) bought clothing that is aimed at/marketed for other gender bc. you just liked that item better-
whether color/pattern, functionality, size, etc ?
No.
Do you have an article of clothing that you treasure & want to keep, but it needs repair (for example: a broken zipper) ?
Have some shirts that no longer fit.

Thought for the Day:
- John Churton Collins

Wishing everybuggy good fortune, and here’s hoping that fate smiles upon you today.
Thanks, cloven, and you.

Old 11-05-2017, 11:48 PM

30,952 posts, read 16,545,362 times
I’m posting from a tablet while away from home, usually I do this via desktop computer so please bear with me if there are typos

typos can be fun.

odd is good too.

Today’s Question:

sometimes but mostly just rinse and recycle.

Do you ever eat over the sink, to avoid making a mess (getting crumbs or spills on floor, or to avoid using a plate and then needing to clean it) ?

nope.

Bonus:
When you travel, if you take (non-prescription) vitamins & supplements, do you bring them with you, leave them at home, and/or buy more while there ?

usually leave them.
Extra Credit:

yup. a couple of times.

yup-Lowe's pretty much all the time.

Just for Fun:
Have you intentionally (knowingly) bought clothing that is aimed at/marketed for other gender bc. you just liked that item better-whether color/pattern, functionality, size, etc ?

yes. mostly heavy socks although have found them specifically for women the last couple of years.

guilty.

Thought for the Day:
- John Churton Collins

told you typos can be fun.

thanks, cloven.

Old 11-05-2017, 11:57 PM

21,745 posts, read 8,888,223 times
Today’s Question:
Do you reuse containers (purchased in a store which initially contained different product) for food, drink, or other storage?
Yes, I do that all the time. For example, I save those little glass pots with screw-on lids that they sell lip gloss or lip balm in. I wash them out and then use them to recycle my old lipsticks. When a lipstick becomes too short to use, I scrape the remainder into a pot with a toothpick and then microwave to melt. I like to blend different colors together (colors that are too dark, too light or too orangey). Melted in the microwave, all these not-so-great colors combine to create the perfect shade.

Yes, when I'm home alone I have done things like that and worse!

Bonus:
I bring them with me in a plastic pill minder that has compartments for each day of the week.

Extra Credit:
Has a (wild) bird ever flown into your home?
No, but a great horned owl once sat quietly on the deck railing just off the kitchen, and we watched each other for the longest time.
I've seen that in Hawaii. The little songbirds are used to tourists, and they're quite bold.

Just for Fun:
Have you intentionally (knowingly) bought clothing that is aimed at/marketed for other gender bc. you just liked that item better-whether color/pattern, functionality, size, etc?
No, but I once tried on some jackets in a men's store that specialized in big and tall/short and small. I thought maybe one of the short and small sports jackets would fit me and be better made than a woman's blazer, but it didn't look right on me.
Yes, I have a rustic alpaca fringed poncho from 1969 that I bought when I lived in Greenwich Village. It is a souvenir of my misspent youth. We've been through a lot of history together. The poncho is one of my most cherished possessions, but I once accidentally left it at a friend's house. Her pet menagerie (cats and dogs) clawed the poncho and made rips in it. I couldn't bear to toss it, so I carefully sewed up all the tears. You can't see them now, although I know they're there.

Thank you, cloven, for going the extra mile to do QOTD! It's OK about the formatting. I added my own.

Last edited by Bayarea4; 11-06-2017 at 12:04 AM.. Reason: completeness and formatting; redundancy removal

Old 11-06-2017, 12:12 AM

39,245 posts, read 23,242,510 times
Today’s Question:
Do you reuse containers (purchased in a store which initially contained different product) for food, drink, or other storage ? Yes.
Do you ever eat over the sink, to avoid making a mess (getting crumbs or spills on floor, or to avoid using a plate and then needing to clean it) ? No.

Bonus:
When you travel, if you take (non-prescription) vitamins & supplements, do you bring them with you, leave them at home, and/or buy more while there ? I would bring them with me.

Extra Credit:
Has a (wild) bird ever flown into your home ? No.
Have you seen a bird flying around inside a place of business ? Yes, at a couple of restaurants (with outdoor covered patios) and a local shopping mall flying around the ceiling of the food court.

Just for Fun:
Have you intentionally (knowingly) bought clothing that is aimed at/marketed for other gender bc. you just liked that item better-whether color/pattern, functionality, size, etc ? No.
Do you have an article of clothing that you treasure & want to keep, but it needs repair (for example: a broken zipper) ? No.

Have a great start to the new week ahead!

Old 11-06-2017, 12:31 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,052,164 times
That is OK. My answers usually look odd.

Today’s Question:
Have done it a few times.

I have done this many times. I also often eat right out of the pans I cooked my meal in.

Bonus:
I take them with me. I usually have a supply I keep in my flight bag and a separate supply I keep at home.

Extra Credit:
Not that I am aware of.

I see them in the grocery store.

Just for Fun:
Nope. I stick with shopping in the tiny area tucked away in some corner of the store they call the men's department.

I have a jacket. Does not need repairs but it does really need to spend some time in the washing machine.

Old 11-06-2017, 12:50 AM

8,009 posts, read 5,461,763 times
Happy A"mazing" Monday...

Today’s Question:
Do you reuse containers (purchased in a store which initially contained different product) for food, drink, or other storage ? Sometimes
Do you ever eat over the sink, to avoid making a mess (getting crumbs or spills on floor, or to avoid using a plate and then needing to clean it) ? No, but when I am alone I sometimes will use a paper plate so there were be no dirty dishes. I try to be a "green" person so it makes me feel a bit guilty when I do that! (oh that Catholic girl is still deep inside me)

Bonus:
When you travel, if you take (non-prescription) vitamins & supplements, do you bring them with you, leave them at home, and/or buy more while there ? I bring them with me.

Extra Credit:
Have you seen a bird flying around inside a place of business ? Yes, I feel sorry for them.

Just for Fun:
Have you intentionally (knowingly) bought clothing that is aimed at/marketed for other gender bc. you just liked that item better-whether color/pattern, functionality, size, etc ? I have not.
Do you have an article of clothing that you treasure & want to keep, but it needs repair (for example: a broken zipper) ? I have a cute little black jacket made out of sweatshirt material---the length is suppose to reach to above the knees, the length has shrunk to my thigh. It is warm and cozy---I use it for indoors in the Winter when I am cold or use it for a layer inside my coat when it is really cold outside and I am taking a walk.

Today in History:
1946: Birth of actress Sally Field (“Places in the Heart”, “Steel Magnolias”) Gidget and The Flying Nun!
1947: Debut of the public affairs tv news program Meet the Press” on NBC
2012: Wisconsin’s Tammy Baldwin becomes first openly gay candidate elected to the United States Senate

Today’s Word:
more broadly refers to mazelike construction in which one can get lost trying to navigate.

Today is:
National Nachos Day
Saxophone Day I have my Dad's in my closet--must find a good home for it.
-this month is-
Historic Bridge Awareness Month
Tiff and Millet (two types of grain) Month

Wishing you a supercalifragilisticexpialidocious kind if day!

Old 11-06-2017, 12:56 AM

15,032 posts, read 8,354,212 times
No problems - it looks great!
Today’s Question:
Do you reuse containers (purchased in a store which initially contained different product) for food, drink, or other storage ? Not too often, but sometimes.
Do you ever eat over the sink, to avoid making a mess (getting crumbs or spills on floor, or to avoid using a plate and then needing to clean it) ? No.

Bonus:
Bring them with me.
Extra Credit:
Has a (wild) bird ever flown into your home ? Yes...through the fireplace chimney...years ago.
Have you seen a bird flying around inside a place of business ? Yes...and it breaks my heart.

Just for Fun:
No, except once or twice when I was younger and liked to sleep in sleep shirts...I bought men's shirts, because they were the same thing, went down to my knees almost and were comfy to sleep in.
Do you have an article of clothing that you treasure & want to keep, but it needs repair (for example: a broken zipper) ? Yes.

Old 11-06-2017, 04:00 AM

18,968 posts, read 11,685,146 times
Today’s Question:
Do you reuse containers (purchased in a store which initially contained different product) for food, drink, or other storage ? yes often - for food but mostly "other"
Do you ever eat over the sink, to avoid making a mess (getting crumbs or spills on floor, or to avoid using a plate and then needing to clean it) ? sure do - did so just this weekend

Bonus:
When you travel, if you take (non-prescription) vitamins & supplements, do you bring them with you, leave them at home, and/or buy more while there ? i take Advil but have bought cold stuff there

Extra Credit:
Has a (wild) bird ever flown into your home ? ive been in a house where that's happened. Plus bats
Have you seen a bird flying around inside a place of business ? yes

Just for Fun:
Have you intentionally (knowingly) bought clothing that is aimed at/marketed for other gender bc. you just liked that item better-whether color/pattern, functionality, size, etc ? yes and aimed at other age group also - older and younger
Do you have an article of clothing that you treasure & want to keep, but it needs repair (for example: a broken zipper) ? several well worn and loved items

Today in History:
1946: Birth of actress Sally Field (“Places in the Heart”, “Steel Magnolias”)
1947: Debut of the public affairs tv news program Meet the Press” on NBC i used to watch this with my dad
2012: Wisconsin’s Tammy Baldwin becomes first openly gay candidate elected to the United States Senate even knowing what I know - this just seems sort of crazy that it wasn't til 2012

Today’s Word:

Today is:
National Nachos Day
Saxophone Day
-this month is-
Historic Bridge Awareness Month oooo yes I like bridges
Tiff and Millet (two types of grain) Month yeah but doesn't it also sound like the names of two young bunnies? I can hear Morgan Freeman doing the intro for a movie "for the rest of the warren denizens it was an April day like any other...but for Tiff and Millet, it was the beginning of their grand adventure"

Today’s Picture:
Entrance & exit are at lower middle left & bottom right-

Thought for the Day:
- John Churton Collins

Wishing everybuggy good fortune, and here’s hoping that fate smiles upon you today. thanks and great job - hope you're enjoying your time away! Let us know if you see Tiff and Millet peaking around a corner (they mostly avoid straightaways and open areas)

Old 11-06-2017, 04:25 AM

11,450 posts, read 9,405,182 times
Today’s Question:
- Only the very small cups with lids for my oil and vinegar for salad at work. Otherwise I have plenty.

Do you ever eat over the sink, to avoid making a mess (getting crumbs or spills on floor, or to avoid using a plate and then needing to clean it) ? - I can't recall ever doing this.

Bonus:
- Take them with me.

Extra Credit:
- No.

Have you seen a bird flying around inside a place of business ? - Yes, a few times. It happened in the office where I work about 3 months ago. A contractor was there somehow cornered it and took it outside.

Just for Fun:
- No

Do you have an article of clothing that you treasure & want to keep, but it needs repair (for example: a broken zipper) ? - Nope, it will likely get tossed.

Thanks, cloven.
Happy Monday to all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics