Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 08:10 AM

39,155 posts, read 23,139,578 times

Advertisements

Today’s Question:

When was the last time you were on the water in a boat of any kind? Please tell us a little about it (river, lake, ocean… what type of boat… what were you doing there, etc)? Back in 1997 visiting my relatives in New Jersey, we went on the boat to go to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty.

Extra Credit Question:

Have you ever -

Ridden on a tractor No.

Worked in fast food No.

Won a goldfish at the fairground No.

Entered an art competition Yes, way back in grade school. I got third place.

Been called as a witness in court No and I hope I never do.

Bonus Question:

What kinds of gloves do you own (gardening, woolly, leather, golfing, fingerless, mittens, rubber/latex, football, baseball, etc. etc)? Right now, just a pair of gardening gloves.

Just for fun:

This question was suggested by Kiwikate (thanks Kk! )
Which US regional or international accent do you find the most appealing? International would have to be British. U.S. regional would have to be Southern.

Enjoy your Tuesday!

Last edited by Dennis P; 11-19-2013 at 08:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 08:18 AM

54,505 posts, read 33,954,912 times
Today’s Question:

When was the last time you were on the water in a boat of any kind? Please tell us a little about it (river, lake, ocean… what type of boat… what were you doing there, etc)? - Hmm.. I think it was yesterday.. when somebody told me that I was "Up the creek without a paddle"... - Actually, it's been over 3 years, July of 2010 when I was on vacation in Hawaii.

Extra Credit Question:

Have you ever -

Ridden on a tractor - Long time ago..

Worked in fast food - Nope.

Won a goldfish at the fairground - Never heard of such contests..

Entered an art competition - Eh.. I lost before I even entered.. I guess they didn't like drawings done with crayons..

Been called as a witness in court - No.. nobody ever called me a "Witness".. they always called me an "Offender".. - I'm only kidding.

Bonus Question:

What kinds of gloves do you own (gardening, woolly, leather, golfing, fingerless, mittens, rubber/latex, football, baseball, etc. etc)? - Beat-up work gloves.. that I use for yard work..

Just for fun:

Which US regional or international accent do you find the most appealing? - Is this a multiple-choice question?

Old 11-19-2013, 08:25 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,421,767 times
Today’s Question:

When was the last time you were on the water in a boat of any kind? Please tell us a little about it (river, lake, ocean… what type of boat… what were you doing there, etc)?
It's been a while. I think it was back in the 80s and I was heading out to waterski.

Extra Credit Question:

Have you ever -

Ridden on a tractor Yes

Worked in fast food Yes

Won a goldfish at the fairground No

Entered an art competition No

Been called as a witness in court Yes

Bonus Question:

What kinds of gloves do you own (gardening, woolly, leather, golfing, fingerless, mittens, rubber/latex, football, baseball, etc. etc)?
Gardening, rubber, cold weather.

Just for fun:

Which US regional or international accent do you find the most appealing?
New York

Thought for the Day:

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere. (Frank A. Clark)
And that's the truth!

Today Is:

A couple of extra-weird ones today:
World Toilet Day
National Blow Bagpipes Day
National Carbonated Beverage Day
Play Monopoly Day
Equal Opportunity Day
International Men's Day

Thanks for the questions, Kobber.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:50 AM

15,443 posts, read 21,465,574 times
Today’s Question:

When was the last time you were on the water in a boat of any kind? Please tell us a little about it (river, lake, ocean… what type of boat… what were you doing there, etc)?
I believe that would be about 40 years ago in an 8' sailing pram in Ute Lake at Logan, New Mexico. I was given the boat for restoration by an elderly friend. The boat worked great but gusty New Mexico is NOT a place for sailboats.

Extra Credit Question:

Have you ever -

Ridden on a tractor
Yesterday in fact. I own two tractors. Three if you include a 23-hp Craftsman garden tractor.

Worked in fast food
If a drive-in theater concession is fast food, then yes. That was the first time I learned what a pizza was. For years afterward, I thought pizzas were all frozen.

Won a goldfish at the fairground
No

Entered an art competition
Once I had some of my B&W nature photos selected to be publicly displayed at my small university. There were awards given out but all I got was a thank you.

I also once competed with a another fellow for a job position drawing insects and plant pests for inclusion in lesson plans at my agricultural agency's new employee orientation training center. I lost that one too.

Been called as a witness in court
Nope. Only as a juror.

Bonus Question:

What kinds of gloves do you own (gardening, woolly, leather, golfing, fingerless, mittens, rubber/latex, football, baseball, etc. etc)?
Leather work gloves and cotton garden gloves. I also have a couple of pairs of winter lined gloves that I never wear.

Oops! Forgot this one.

Right now I'm enjoying the sounds of a Norwegian singing country music (Heidi Hauge).

Last edited by High_Plains_Retired; 11-19-2013 at 08:59 AM..

Old 11-19-2013, 08:55 AM

44,734 posts, read 61,999,629 times
Today’s Question:

When was the last time you were on the water in a boat of any kind? Awhile ago.
Please tell us a little about it (river, lake, ocean… what type of boat… what were you doing there, etc)? We own a pontoon boat and live on a lake and we were floating around on the water not too long ago. Was on a cruise ship a few years ago that went around So. America. One of the most fun boats was the QuickSilver out of Cairns Australia into the Great Barrier Reef.

Extra Credit Question:

Have you ever -

Ridden on a tractor. Yes.

Worked in fast food. No.

Won a goldfish at the fairground. No.

Entered an art competition. Yes.

Been called as a witness in court. Yes.

Bonus Question:

What kinds of gloves do you own (gardening, woolly, leather, golfing, fingerless, mittens, rubber/latex, football, baseball, etc. etc)? Leather garden gloves.

Just for fun:

Which US regional or international accent do you find the most appealing? The one I can understand.

Neat questions, have a great Tuesday everyone, enjoy...

Old 11-19-2013, 09:05 AM

36,540 posts, read 16,125,879 times
Today’s Question:

I think 1997, Lake Norman, NC. Boating with brother and friends, a visit here before I moved in 1999.

Extra Credit Question:

Have you ever -

Ridden on a tractor Sure

Worked in fast food Nope

Won a goldfish at the fairground Yes

Entered an art competition Yes 10th grade.

Been called as a witness in court No

Bonus Question:

Leather, don't wear them much, gardening, knitted gloves for the cold.

Just for fun:

Australian or mine

Old 11-19-2013, 09:07 AM

24,647 posts, read 26,207,678 times
Today’s Question:

When was the last time you were on the water in a boat of any kind?
It was probably in the late 90's. Wait, we took a couple of ferry boat trips in the Seattle area a few years ago.

Please tell us a little about it (river, lake, ocean… what type of boat… what were you doing there, etc)?
It was at Lake Powell with a house boat, ski boat and a few Seadoos.

Extra Credit Question:

Have you ever -

Ridden on a tractor
No

Worked in fast food
No

Won a goldfish at the fairground
No

Entered an art competition
No

Been called as a witness in court
No

Bonus Question:

Leather yard gloves and some nice winter gloves that seldom get used.

Just for fun:

Scottish, Irish, England English, Aussie and Kiwi.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:26 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,229,216 times
last time in a boat? ship, haze grey and underway, about 10 years ago.

ridden on a tractor? yes
worked in fast food? nope
won a goldfish? nope
art competition? yes
called as a witness? yes. I was scheduled to testify as a witness to a crime I saw where they already had my statement at the scene that day. I got the supboena, called in and did not have to go in. I was still mailed a check (small amount) for compensation for whatever reason.

gloves? work

appealing accent? scottish

National Blow Bagpipes Day - Tunes of Glory (1960), Alec Guiness, John Mills:

Old 11-19-2013, 09:41 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,863,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
Good morning everyone and welcome to QOTD for Tuesday, November 19th 2013. My thoughts go out to everyone caught up in those dreadful tornadoes in the Midwest. A suburb of Sydney that I used to live in suffered a mini-tornado yesterday which did a fair amount of damage – I can’t imagine the type of tornadoes you guys have to deal with.

On to more cheerful issues, like the all-important questions of the day.

Tornadoes in Australia? I was in Coal City for a party last winter. It's about an hour from our house. The F4 tornado was about two hours away. We had an F1 briefly touch down once since we've lived here. It looks like Pam had some bad weather by her too.

Today’s Question:

Probably in Belize to scuba dive with the sting rays and nurse sharks.

Extra Credit Question:

Have you ever -

Ridden on a tractor....Yes and driven one too.

Worked in fast food.....Nope

Won a goldfish at the fairground....Nope

Entered an art competition.....Nope

Been called as a witness in court......Nope

Bonus Question:

Rubber gardening gloves. I had purple ones and I made up this song to Purple Haze. Purple gloves all in my brain. Gardening makes me go insane. Excuse me while I kiss the ground. Well you had to be there, it made John laugh. I have some nice leather gloves, some red cloth ones for dog walkies, a pair of thinsulate gloves and mittens for skiing.

Just for fun:

Thought for the Day:

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere. (Frank A. Clark)
Yes but why does life have to be so hard? The next 3 to 5 years are going to be a

Today Is:

World Toilet Day
National Blow Bagpipes Day
National Carbonated Beverage Day
Play Monopoly Day
Equal Opportunity Day
International Men's Day

Thanks Kobber. How's the new bundle of joy?

Old 11-19-2013, 10:07 AM
bjh

60,378 posts, read 30,589,369 times
Today’s Question:
On the Mississippi in a riverboat showing out of town visitors the sights.

Extra Credit Question:
Have you ever -

Ridden on a tractor - tractor trailer, yes. Farm tractor, no.

Worked in fast food - as a teenager, yes

Won a goldfish at the fairground - nope

Entered an art competition - no

Been called as a witness in court no

Bonus Question:
winter gloves: a leather and a fabric, fingerless pair

Just for fun
:

French

Thought for the Day:

Today Is:
World Toilet Day
a day for the crapper, not that big a deal until you need one

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics