Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 12:28 AM

16,683 posts, read 17,455,385 times

Advertisements

Good morning peevers.

It's been nice and sunny of late and that should continue for a while today. Crisp and bright is nice.

Bayarea4 was kind enough to post me an idea for a peeve. It is one that we have had before, but that shouldn't stop us if it's relevant. Indeed we may have new experiences of the peeve since it was last posted.

Here's what she wrote;

Here's an idea for a peeve - something that was supposed to be a simple, easy task ends up taking much longer or is way more complicated than you anticipated.

So our POTD is;

Why did I start doing this?

Thanks Shep!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 12:59 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,897,837 times
Yeah Shep thanks! Why do I ever start posting in a city forum especially my own which is rife with trolls. No conversation is possible without the constant snot nosed responses by the local flamethrowers! Much more than aggravating and totally unneeded. CD's saving grace are the chat forums OT, CC and a couple others. I sure as hell wouldn't stick around for city forums.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:10 AM

21,566 posts, read 8,743,307 times
You're welcome, Jez! The "inspiration" (if you can call it that) for this peeve was an incident that took place the other day. DH and I were getting ready to go out for breakfast when he made a casual remark about my medical insurance coverage. I am just getting ready to sign up for Medicare and a supplement, and I am changing insurance carriers. DH wanted to know if the new plan included drug coverage. I thought I did, but I wasn't sure.

I got out my file and checked the plan I was signing up for, but sure enough -- no drug coverage. So while Al was finishing dressing, I called the insurance carrier and asked about drug coverage. "Oh, that's a separate plan," he told me. "Here's the number to call: 1-800-(etc.)."

I dialed the number, which was answered by a cheery woman who assured me that I could sign up right over the phone. Oh, good! I thought. Problem solved. Only it wasn't so easy. First the lady had to read me details of all the different types of plans they offer, then she had to take down my name, my birth date and all the information on the drugs I already take, including the name, the dosages, how many I take, and how often I take them.

When she was finished with that, she had to check to see if my drugs were in their formulary, and then she had to do a price comparison and quote me my out of pocket costs for each of the different plans. On top of that, she was required to read me pages and pages of legal mumbo-jumbo. Fifteen minutes dragged by. Meanwhile, DH is standing in the doorway with teeth clenched and steam coming out of his ears.

After telling the nice lady that I wanted Plan Whatever, I thought we were finished. But no. She informed me that from this point the call would have to be recorded and that she would have to ask me some of the same questions over again for the recording. It took a few minutes for the recording software to load. "The computers are slow today," she said. Then she launched into a long, long series of questions, more legal mumbo jumbo including phone numbers and websites that I could use if I had any problems, and on and on. I thought it was never going to end!

By this time, the nice lady couldn't help but have heard DH grumbling loudly in the background, several variations of "Aren't you finished yet?" (but not in such polite language) because he wanted his breakfast . . . NOW.

Forty-five minutes later, I hung up the phone we finally got to have our breakfast. DH's innocent inquiry turned into six acts of "Gone With the Wind." My ears are still ringing from what was supposed to be a simple phone call!

Old 11-15-2013, 01:49 AM

I can empathize with you on that Shep.

Yesterday I had a final settlement bill through from an ISP we were using.

I phoned my internet bank but they couldn't see a way of paying it so I contacted the ISP by phone. This I was trying to avoid because their call centre is in- you guessed it- India.

The problem is I cannot understand what the heck they are saying.

Anyway after going through loops of menus I finally got through to someone who I could half understand and finally got it paid off and I mentally waved the company goodbye.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:52 AM

Taken just now, there were six male pheasants at the gate to the field, but Molly and I scared them off and here are two of them taken using a long range lens;

The guilty party;

Refuge;

It's cold but sunny;

Going for a little wander;

Old 11-15-2013, 01:55 AM

21,566 posts, read 8,743,307 times
Oh, Jezer, that sounds like a real pain in the . . . well, you know. I have a lot of trouble with accents because I'm slightly hard of hearing. I hear vowels better than consonants, and when a person speaks with an accent, the vowels are the part that sounds different.

That's one reason I decided to leave my old health plan. Most of the people who worked there seemed to speak English as a second language. That in itself doesn't bother me, but if I can't understand what the person is saying, then it becomes a problem. Once I got a telephone message from that health organization that was spoken so fast, and in such a thick accent, that I could barely make out a word of what the person said! It's frustrating.

[Edit]Hello, Molly! How's my favorite bird chaser today? You look pleased with yourself!

Old 11-15-2013, 04:56 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,159,541 times

Old 11-15-2013, 05:02 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,302,235 times
I hear ya on this one. It is for this reason I dread starting any big projects around the house because they always, without fail, seem to turn into "three times as long and twice as expensive".

Old 11-15-2013, 06:28 AM

36,445 posts, read 16,048,954 times
Hi Molly!

Good peeve BA4 and Jezer. Those extremely long phones calls, for something simple and simply a PITA!!

Old 11-15-2013, 08:16 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,680,952 times
another good peeve and I have said that to myself many times.

Today I'm sick. feels like the flu..Pains int he tummy, nausea, aches, runs to bathroom, chills and feeling vyer cold.
Going to rest. today
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics