Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 07:23 PM

99 posts, read 151,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
I've noticed that when most people lock their car they walk 10 to 20' from the car and then you hear the "beep-beep" . Why don't they do it as soon as they get out of the car ? I seldom lock my car but I always do it right away. Has anybody else noticed this ? Just curious.
guilty....
i just like to make sure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 09:16 PM

12,572 posts, read 15,645,108 times
Quote:
I've noticed that when most people lock their car they walk 10 to 20' from the car and then you hear the "beep-beep" . Why don't they do it as soon as they get out of the car ? I seldom lock my car but I always do it right away. Has anybody else noticed this ? Just curious.
I do this with my work van. Why? Because it doesn't beep the first time but it takes two times in succession for it to beep. Since it has 6 doors I want to make sure it's locked. However, if I use the door lock button I don't use the remote.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:31 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,465,073 times
I'm always self conscious that people walking near my car will think I'm stereotyping them as a thief... So if people are around I always walk 10+ feet away and play it off as I'm locking it as an after thought. I know it's crazy.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:51 PM

44,753 posts, read 62,104,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
No...that is just car confirmation of door look.
And no, alarm does not go off if someone tampers with the car.
With all the alarm fatigue (everyone ignores it), car alarms have fallen out of favor most everywhere.
I don't have car alarms. Even on a $100k car. I just don't keep anything valuable in the car. It's stupid.
Not necessarily true. My key fob automatically sets my custom alarm when the doors lock. You lean on my vehicle, shake it, or tamper with it in any way all kinds of horns and sirens go off. When I set it, it just goes beep to let me know that it's set, but mess with it and and all hell breaks loose and you is in deep trouble.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:40 PM

31,304 posts, read 33,027,431 times
Quote:
I think people have the idea of 10 or 20' away because that's the distance of unlocking their car when they come back to it; thus they lock it at about the same distance away from the car.

In my case, Mrs Aks says {{{ "stupid you need to lock the car"}}} and it's about the 20 foot mark most of the time. And of course she's talking to me.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:45 PM

27,497 posts, read 27,521,349 times
Quote:

I just wanttedt o add a little side note to my last comment. It occurred to me over the weekend (youd think Id have paid more attention earlier in time) that some cars actually have a delay in the lock thing. In other words, you click the remote as soon as you get out, but the horn doesnt 'beep beep' right away. A friend of mine back in Calif has a Toyota 'something' and they hit the remote, but ti wont 'respond' for maybe 10 secoonds or so. Strange! I ws thinking about this topic recently and remembered that part. Maybe some cars just do that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics