Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 01:09 PM

1,233 posts, read 3,438,396 times

Advertisements

Do you keep a gun under your bed? Do you lock your car doors as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2007, 01:14 PM

139 posts, read 637,256 times
For those of you who don't. He'd like your address

Old 03-30-2007, 02:03 PM

192 posts, read 865,527 times
I lock all doors and windows, and turn on the security system. I always lock my car doors (I assume you meant when out... the car is always in the garage at home!).

It always amazes me when I read newspaper stories of break-ins or home invasions and it's mentioned that the homeowner had left a side door unlocked, or a first-floor window open; what were they thinking??! (And these are in quiet residential neighborhoods, not an urban setting.) I've had a monitored security system in place everyplace I have lived since 1973 and would not feel comfortable without one. It will also detect smoke/fire and carbon monoxide.

A gun in the house? No thank you!

Old 03-30-2007, 02:06 PM

325 posts, read 1,409,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPaNative View Post
Do you keep a gun under your bed? Do you lock your car doors as well?
All doors locked, and a shotgun in the closet.

Old 03-30-2007, 02:19 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,101,934 times
Doors locked night and day except when we're in and out a lot. Deadbolted at night.

Cars in the garage. Motorhome isn't in a garage, but stays locked.

My husband has a gun in the nightstand, but lots of good that would do. He could sleep thru a tornado!

Old 03-30-2007, 03:03 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,896,527 times
Doors locked day and night, and a loaded 38 within reach. I work in a max-security prison, and talk to inmates all the time. Folks, I gotta tell 'ya: bad guys REALLY like un-armed citizens! (be careful though: if there are kids in your house, you might consider a Taser instead of a gun...kids WILL play with guns, and YOU may be held liable if somebody gets hurt... ) (or maybe just get a BIG dog ) My wife looked out the window one day, while I was at work, and saw a stranger in our garage. Our dogs chased him away. Then, not a month later, 5 teenagers broke into the house next door and vandalized it. And where did all this happen? In a big metropolitan area? Nope. ALASKA....of all places!!! Seems there are bad people no matter where you go. You all need to carefully consider how you will protect yourselves (don't think the police are going to do it...because they won't...99% of the time it is up to you)...too many people give this absolutely NO thought, and end up becoming a victim. And...if there is a deadbolt/lock on your door, and you don't use it at night, I have to ask: why not? It costs you nothing, and will at the least slow someone down who is trying to enter. Be smarter than the bad guys. My $.02

Bud
Seward, Ak

Last edited by BudinAk; 03-30-2007 at 03:15 PM..

Old 03-30-2007, 03:09 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,073,921 times
We don't lock our doors, day or night. No guns.
It's a very small town, and we may be lacking in a million amenities, but crime is a rarity.
Plus we have an English Mastiff who is a very good watch dog.

Old 03-30-2007, 03:14 PM

592 posts, read 2,812,728 times
Doors locked, a variety of firearms strategicly placed throughout the place, including house, barn, shop, garage. Call me paranoid, I'm a retired cop. A hint for those of you with a security system...keep an inactive cell phone near your bed or safe room you'll go if you hear an intrucer. If the badguys cut your phone line to disable your alarm system (YES THEY DO THAT) under Federal Law, all cell phones whether active or not must still be able to connect to 911.

Old 03-30-2007, 03:33 PM

157 posts, read 479,852 times
Doors are locked all the time. I put *the club* on my steering wheel at all times even if the car is in the garage. Security system is activated only when I leave my house. I remember one time upon returning home, I keyed in the wrong code on my new security system and forgot how to reset it. The alarm went off and I ran to the phone to call the security company only to get a strange signal preventing me from making any calls. I was so flustered when the police arrived. You can bet I never made that mistake again.

Old 03-30-2007, 04:24 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,914,479 times
Yes, I keep doors locked. It only takes a few seconds and really cuts down the chances of being a victim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics