Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 04:33 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,388,107 times

Advertisements

Thanksgiving will be lots of pots and pans banging, mixing bowls as I make every dish from scratch, an ever expanding menu as everyone has a special request, so I will be up for the next two days and the only food I will eat until after Thanksgiving will be to taste and sample this and that to determine what else is needed. I am sure I will have to return to the market one more time and surf through all the other folk who forgot stuff too. Then dinner will be served grateful children will ooo and ahhh over turkey, ham, dressing and roast and especially over deserts (German Chocolate cake, lemon cream pound cake, sweet potato pie, apple-peach cobbler and if I feel like it a banana nut cake too) Of course everyone will have to eat their veggies- green beans, fried cabbage and peppers and a heaping helping of potato salad for good measure. We will pray and declare exactly what we are thankful for. Everyone but me will over eat. I will look for a quiet place to reflect until some kid has to go to a sporting event or work. Nonetheless, I will be thankful. I will show my gratitude by taking plates of food to a local shelter. And my special wish is someone else will clean up and put food away properly. Who am I kidding that would take a miracle. I just hope everyone gets along and they cancel football LOL Merry Thanksgiving
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 08:31 AM

7,371 posts, read 6,857,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
As usual the airline business knows no holidays. Have to work from 5 am til 5 pm.
Guess there's no business like "airline business", Alaskan. I've worked many holidays, some were good and some were bad. I always enjoy seeing happy people on the holidays. Of course, I still wished I was off.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:33 AM

7,371 posts, read 6,857,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
Thanksgiving will be lots of pots and pans banging, mixing bowls as I make every dish from scratch, an ever expanding menu as everyone has a special request, so I will be up for the next two days and the only food I will eat until after Thanksgiving will be to taste and sample this and that to determine what else is needed. I am sure I will have to return to the market one more time and surf through all the other folk who forgot stuff too. Then dinner will be served grateful children will ooo and ahhh over turkey, ham, dressing and roast and especially over deserts (German Chocolate cake, lemon cream pound cake, sweet potato pie, apple-peach cobbler and if I feel like it a banana nut cake too) Of course everyone will have to eat their veggies- green beans, fried cabbage and peppers and a heaping helping of potato salad for good measure. We will pray and declare exactly what we are thankful for. Everyone but me will over eat. I will look for a quiet place to reflect until some kid has to go to a sporting event or work. Nonetheless, I will be thankful. I will show my gratitude by taking plates of food to a local shelter. And my special wish is someone else will clean up and put food away properly. Who am I kidding that would take a miracle. I just hope everyone gets along and they cancel football LOL Merry Thanksgiving
I know where I am travelling on Thanksgiving. Yum, Yum!! . You are really going to town for your family, sun queen. I hope they really appreciate you spending all the time preparing the meal.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:33 PM

23,473 posts, read 29,392,109 times
I got up this afternoon at 3:30pm, made the stuffing for the turkey, stuffed it, and was going to bake it tomorrow, and impulsively, I said: Screw it! Into the oven it went 1 hour ago!

No family, just me and my roommate. Thanksgiving Dinner a bit early this year, around 11-pm or midnite. Left-overs tomorrow.

I work the nite shift, my body clock is completely opposite day-trippers, even on my days off.

Last edited by tijlover; 11-24-2010 at 07:34 PM.. Reason: Edit

Old 11-25-2010, 11:10 AM

6,587 posts, read 17,615,029 times
Peaceful. My kids and I used to go my ex-father-in-law's for Christmas (yes, my ex-husband's father), but since my daughter has moved out and my son is working today, I'm not going this year. I'm fine with that; I plan to catch up on my reading, maybe bake some cookies, and go to a friend's for Thanksgiving dinner. Besides, I have to work for a few hours tomorrow morning (6:30 - 11:00 a.m.), so that's another reason to keep today rather low key.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Old 11-25-2010, 11:29 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,416,835 times
It will be different, after 32 years of having it with my family we will be going to the in-laws, Sinse Dad passed it just doesn't feel the same and I guess it's time to move on. This will be much louder than our small family, the food sure isn't the same kinda bittersweet but it will be a good time and the start of a new chapter.
Enjoy today, enjoy youre family and freinds, Have a Happy Thanksgiving

Old 11-25-2010, 11:45 AM

13,620 posts, read 12,792,732 times
no turkey here,, cow parts, and homemade mash with gravy. nice and simple..

Old 11-25-2010, 08:17 PM

23,473 posts, read 29,392,109 times
Thank God when the settlers first arrived here in the U.S. they found wild turkeys? and that's why we have turkey at Thanksgiving to this day?

Imagine! If you had to stuff a deer on Thanksgiving!

Old 11-26-2010, 08:20 PM

21,729 posts, read 8,867,054 times
Stuff a deer? Not gonna happen. By the way, tijlover, I like your idea of roasting the turkey the night before. My husband and I used to do that when we were swing shift workers.

Sympathy to those who worked on the holiday. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

Our Thanksgiving was not the regularly scheduled holiday. It was pre-empted by the flu. We had to decline an invitation to visit relatives because I was too sick to leave the house.

What to have for dinner? I could barely walk around, and there was no way on God's green earth that I was going to roast a turkey. Opening a can of Campbell's Soup would have been a major achievement at that point.

When the night before Thanksgiving rolled around and I was still coughing and running a fever, my husband had the bright idea of going to Trader Joe's and picking up a preroasted, stuffed frozen turkey entree and some Thanksgiving side dishes, which sounded very appealing in the Trader Joe's flyer. Sounds great, right?

The only problem was that when he got there, all the roast turkeys were gone. Completely sold out! A clerk told him they went fast. So instead DH brought home a bag of frozen Mandarin Orange Chicken. These are deep-fried chicken nuggets that come with a spicy orange garlic sauce. He also bought a sweet potato and cranberry casserole and a pumpkin pie. I served the chicken pieces with cranberry sauce instead of the Chinese sauce and added some frozen green beans. The meal was . . . oh, how shall I put this . . . different.

I spent the rest of the evening shivering on the sofa with a 102º fever, covered in blankets.

In case you were wondering, I didn't get a flu shot this year. I assure you it won't happen again.

Last edited by Bayarea4; 11-26-2010 at 08:21 PM.. Reason: grammar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics