Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 09:49 AM

172 posts, read 424,444 times

Advertisements

I vote to drop Columbus Day and Thanksgiving. This could give our kids two extra school days to prepare for competing with other developed nations whose academic achievement standards have passed ours in the global economy. No offense meant to Catholics, Italians, Spaniards, grade school teachers who'll have to find new art projects for their classes. Why national holidays in remembrance of events that shortly preceded the subordination, exploitation, and decimation of large swaths of native populations for the prospering of the European transplants/explorers? If we are to add a national holiday to our calendar, how about one recognizing the Native American?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 10:06 AM

10,228 posts, read 18,056,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongofury View Post
I vote to drop Columbus Day and Thanksgiving. This could give our kids two extra school days to prepare for competing with other developed nations whose academic achievement standards have passed ours in the global economy. No offense meant to Catholics, Italians, Spaniards, grade school teachers who'll have to find new art projects for their classes. Why national holidays in remembrance of events that shortly preceded the subordination, exploitation, and decimation of large swaths of native populations for the prospering of the European transplants/explorers? If we are to add a national holiday to our calendar, how about one recognizing the Native American?
Thanksgiving doesn't actually have much to do with the Native Americans. Although some natives were involved in trying to help the first pilgrams survive their first winters by helping them harvest, Thanksgiving is a harvest festival which was celebrated around the world prior to any Europeans settling in the Americas. It's not always called "Thanksgiving", not always celebrated in November and not always a national holiday - but it was originally about giving thanks (mainly to God, not the Native Americans) for a good harvest at the end of the season.

Harvest Festivals from Around the World at HarvestFestivals.Net.

Last edited by PA2UK; 10-12-2009 at 11:04 AM..

Old 10-12-2009, 05:24 PM

43,851 posts, read 51,512,461 times
I could care less about "competing with other developed nations whose academic achievement standards have passed ours". Who cares? I prefer celebrating Thanksgiving with my family in houses built with closets and not having to use a squat toilette.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:43 PM

36,572 posts, read 16,152,284 times
What in the heck do you think Thanksgiving is? It is the coming together of the pilgrims and the Native Americans.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:48 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,330,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I could care less about "competing with other developed nations whose academic achievement standards have passed ours". Who cares? I prefer celebrating Thanksgiving with my family in houses built with closets and not having to use a squat toilette.
LOL! I gotta agree with you on this one, GB.
I wonder if the OP thought he should be going to school on these days when he was a kid. Hey, and don't even try to take away BLACK FRIDAY.
Even the teachers who are moms would line up to shoot you, Bongo.

And why not take all of them away then, Veterans Day, after all, kids aren't veterans, MLK day, go to school on saturdays, and summers.
Why the heck not? But 2 losey days, I don't think so.
BAH HUMBUG!

Old 10-12-2009, 05:51 PM

36,572 posts, read 16,152,284 times
They go to school here today, Columbus Day, in North Carolina!

Old 10-12-2009, 05:55 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,319,563 times
They went to school in my state and Indiana.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:24 PM

259,024 posts, read 91,044,479 times
Don't mess with the holidays. Either one. History is history and should be remembered as such.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:39 PM

12,973 posts, read 3,234,571 times
My kids went to school today as well! Yippee! I can do without Columbus Day totally, but I kind of enjoy Thanksgiving.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:40 PM

25,449 posts, read 11,786,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I agree with you 100% Glory.

Dropping these holidays which we have been celebrating for ages would be completely asinine. Leave it alone. Two more days is school isn't going to make life or death for the kids in school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics