Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 06:08 AM

9,896 posts, read 22,125,781 times

Advertisements

In less then 3 short weeks thanksgiving will be here. As usual ill be spending it without family. I have a father, step mom, nephew, cousin, ex bro in law & sister that all live within a 11 mile radius of me & except for my sister they treat me poorly. I could be living in my car with my cats & they wouldnt help me out one single bit.

I started listening to christmas music in late oct this yr & i have all my xmas lps & cds out. Ill put my lights out this yr (11 yrs) but thats about it.

Ill most likely go to a free thanksgiving & xmas dinner place this yr in yucaipa, ca just like i did like yr.

The last family thanksgiving dinner i went to was when my sister was alive (nov.2002).

So....whats everyone doing on turkey day ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 06:39 AM

27,495 posts, read 27,519,373 times
So sorry to gear that your family treats you like that, its just not right no matter.
Most likely Ill be working on Turkey day and Im not a big Xmas person so might go visit some people I know.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:19 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,272,213 times
A shame you and your family are not on better terms with each other.

Have you thought about volunteering your services at a homeless shelter or your local senior center. This is an especially nice way to spend holidays when you have no family to share it with.

I am fortunate that I have a large extended family that consists mostly of my DIL's family that I share holidays with. My only "genetic" relatives in this bunch are my son and grandchildren.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:40 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,937,926 times
My sister and her husband invite us to join them and a few others for Thanksgiving at a local hotel. I have no idea what the rest of the family does, I never see or talk to them. We will spend Christmas morning at home, then go to friends for the afternoon and a nice meal.

The holidays changed for us after my parents died. Family Christmas just sort of stopped and Thanksgiving joined it later. We did go to Mrs. Teks family on occasion (5 hour drive), but after they died we just started staying home.

I don't miss it.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:47 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,067,277 times
We go to my aunt's house for Thanksgiving ever year, usually. We get the impression that she doesn't want to do it this year, so we'll see what happens. We stopped doing the extended family christmas party. It was always very boring. Christmas day we just spend at home.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:14 AM

43,851 posts, read 51,506,477 times
Since we decided to do Thanksgiving with the family the Sunday before Thanksgiving..... my immediate family who lives near me decided to go to a theme park for Thanksgiving. We figured most locals would be at home and it wouldn't be too crowded.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:39 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,692,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
A shame you and your family are not on better terms with each other.

Have you thought about volunteering your services at a homeless shelter or your local senior center. This is an especially nice way to spend holidays when you have no family to share it with.

I am fortunate that I have a large extended family that consists mostly of my DIL's family that I share holidays with. My only "genetic" relatives in this bunch are my son and grandchildren.
It is a shame that so many have to spend the holidays almost completely alone.....it just shouldn't be that way. I agree that volunteering would be a great way to be a part of something bigger than yourself and a good way to be surrounded by lots of people so you don't feel alone.

So glad you have a DIL who's family accepts you and makes you part of the celebrations, that's really great. My mother got stuck with a DIL who could care less about her and including her in things, makes me very sad. But the three of us, (my mother, my son and myself) spend the holidays together and do alright without them. We just have to make the best of our situations and circumstances and try not to get too down during what can be the toughest time of the year for a lot of people.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:48 AM

9,896 posts, read 22,125,781 times
Last thanksgiving & xmas i took a neighbor with me to a church for a free dinner cause his car was broke down & it was the neighborly thing to do .

Now that his car is fixed (since 5/10) he dont talk to me anymore.

He claims to be a christian.

UGH!

Old 11-07-2010, 11:41 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,411,634 times
Spending it with my sister and her family most likely.

I always feel bad for those without family. Do you have a friends house you can go to? Or how about cooking and inviting friends or others without family to your home?

Old 11-07-2010, 12:29 PM

52,586 posts, read 53,158,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
In less then 3 short weeks thanksgiving will be here. As usual ill be spending it without family. I have a father, step mom, nephew, cousin, ex bro in law & sister that all live within a 11 mile radius of me & except for my sister they treat me poorly. I could be living in my car with my cats & they wouldnt help me out one single bit.

I started listening to christmas music in late oct this yr & i have all my xmas lps & cds out. Ill put my lights out this yr (11 yrs) but thats about it.

Ill most likely go to a free thanksgiving & xmas dinner place this yr in yucaipa, ca just like i did like yr.

The last family thanksgiving dinner i went to was when my sister was alive (nov.2002).

So....whats everyone doing on turkey day ?
This is our off yr, we every other yr go to the BIL's house, but this yr we're gonna get a big ol plate of tasty baby back pork mother f ing ribs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics