Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 10:50 PM

10,228 posts, read 16,384,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
My point---they don't want or need a bunch of do-gooders there looking for "those less fortunate" to stare and gawk at. Every year I read how we're supposed to trot to the local shelters to spread our love and cheer with "those less fortunate". When you think about it, isn;t that "gloating"? Hi, I'm not here because I'm homeless, peniless, I just wanted to stare at you! BTW, I'll take some of that turkey, long as I'm here, so, what does it feel like to be down and out? don't you feel better now, talking to me, I still have a job, home, all that goes in with it? After this nice meal, I will go back to my nice, warm house while you go crawl back to whatever makeshift shelter you have, I know your day was enriched by chatting with me!

Come on, does anyone really do that, go to shelters to stare at "those less fortunate" thus making everyone's holiday brighter
Hmmm.

Well, that's your take on it, apparently. It's how you would feel in that situation, so I guess feeding the hungry or working in a soup kitchen would NOT be for you. Many of the homeless are regulars to those places; the only real difference with Thanksgiving is that they can enjoy the traditional meal of turkey and mashed potatoes and all the trimmings. If they want to. They can always remain outside and try to panhandle for food, which is a humongous problem in Portland.

If I spent a day working a soup line I likely wouldn't strike up conversations with any of them ~ I'd leave that up to them. A lot of the homeless enjoy talking. I think you over-estimate the sensitivity of the homeless who choose shelters and use food lines. I think they're smart enough to realize why the volunteers are there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 09:53 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,415,679 times
Quote:
My point---they don't want or need a bunch of do-gooders there looking for "those less fortunate" to stare and gawk at. Every year I read how we're supposed to trot to the local shelters to spread our love and cheer with "those less fortunate". When you think about it, isn;t that "gloating"? Hi, I'm not here because I'm homeless, peniless, I just wanted to stare at you! BTW, I'll take some of that turkey, long as I'm here, so, what does it feel like to be down and out? don't you feel better now, talking to me, I still have a job, home, all that goes in with it? After this nice meal, I will go back to my nice, warm house while you go crawl back to whatever makeshift shelter you have, I know your day was enriched by chatting with me!

Come on, does anyone really do that, go to shelters to stare at "those less fortunate" thus making everyone's holiday brighter
Quote:
Its not a matter of compassion, its what are you doing to help, anyways? Just what do you think you're doing, handing out turkey plates? Staring at the down and out? That's not compassion, that's gawking at the poor. They will get their meal served regardless of whether you're there or not. Do you plan to eat while there, too, thus taking away what little they have?

If "compassion" is your thing, do like I do and donate to shelters, food banks, etc, then leave them in dignity to enjoy what they can, you're the one lacking compassion, you just want to be entertained by the poor being "grateful"---go rent a Dickens movie instead!
WOW!! I don't even know what to say to you! Everyone has a story so I won't even pretend to know what your story is but if it wasn't for the shelters the homeless would be sleeping under bridges and digging their Holiday meals out of garbage cans. I'm sure that is so much better than being stared at occasionally.

I applaud all the volunteers who work at shelters on the holidays.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:14 AM

2,788 posts, read 5,114,424 times
Quote:

Why not do it thru out the year..Have you ever been homeless? Do you really know how they feel?
Just because they are less fortunate doesnt mean they wouldnt like someone to talk to. Maybe they are in a situation that was no fault of their own. And maybe just talking to one person can lead them too the road to recovery. Or someone can inspire them.
I was once homeless, it was no picnic, I met some really nice people too. I was met a woman who was an computer engineer, she was a volunteer at the shelter, I got to talking to her, and she asked me my goals ..So I told her I dont know how but Im going to get out of here. She aked me what I like to do so I told her I like computers, She told me there arent many female hispanic engineers, and encouraged me to try it. I did went to college, Im now an software/computer engineer, And I love it.
All because someone planted a seed in me.
She told me she was once homeless when she left her husband thats why she volunteers and tries to get to know people
But I would encourage you not to talk to anybody especially the homeless you probably have no words of encouragement for them.
I take my girls and we volunteer, My oldest daugher and her friend help with job skills, and my little girls like playing with the kids.
Some moms have become very good friends.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:41 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,114,424 times
Quote:
Yeah, maybe the next place you volunteer at everyone will jump up and down and say oh, thank you, kind sir, please, sir, may I have more?

Hey, they are people, not characters in a Dickens movie there to stroke your ego, oh, the kind, generous soul, sharing your dinner with them..............donate some money, food items, then let them be with what dignity they have left!
Apparently you've probably never volunteered..Yes I have sat down with them at dinner..And no they didnt feel I was taking away from them..Maybe you feel that way..But how would you know how they feel when you have your excuses not to make an effort. This is real.These are real lives..They have stories to share..Im not going to stroke egos..Im going because I truly do care..Just because you care and want to help doesnt mean your stroking egos..Maybe you should learn the difference between caring and stroking egos..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics