Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 08:11 PM

44,477 posts, read 20,273,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Enough with the idea to volunteer at a shelter!

Is that what you want, looking at those so down and out they are probably homeless or close to it? Such a thrill!

And just where are these marvelous shelters? Usually in the worse parts of town, many are so bad even the homeless refuse to go there. Just how do you plan to get back and forth, drive your car, park it there, risk it getting stolen?

The idea is, some people don't have people to spend the holidays with. So, they seek out "people" at shelters, etc. Hardly fits. I had a few Thanksgivings I couldn't make it home, spent the day cleaning out closets, etc, enjoyed my free time. Its not like must have big doings or die!
On Thanksgiving, some of the free-food locations in my area are in churches or social halls in nice neighborhoods. Most of the people who come to eat look no different from the rest of us. They are just regular folks who have suffered financial losses due to the tanked economy, and it takes a lot of courage for them to accept a free meal. The unemployment rate in this area is staggering. A little compassion can go a long way to help someone through a difficult time.

On a different note....yes, some people who are alone on the holidays are fine with it and see it as an opportunity to enjoy some down time from their otherwise busy lives. To each his or her own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 05:31 AM

9,895 posts, read 22,136,797 times
This t-giving ill most likely cook a turkey with all the trimmings. My cats love turkey & i have a 84 yr old neighbor i might give a plate too even though shes kinda mean.

I have in the past (yrs ago) voluntered at shelters & i got treated like **** by a few of the long time volunteers. They were old bats that were just damn mean & wanted to run the entire show. They said i was too slow in serving the food & i spent too much time talking to people. I dropped what i was doing & went home.

There sure are some mean/rude people in this world.

F THEM !

Old 11-09-2010, 05:44 AM

36,579 posts, read 16,165,576 times
I worked last Thanksgiving, this year will probably go to my brother's with my Dad. Since my Mom died in 07, it's not the same. Every year Dad says I'm not going, then ends up going. I will do a Xmas dinner here. Last year I even put up decorations, it helped my spirits some. It's all about family and food.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:31 PM

10,117 posts, read 19,526,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
This t-giving ill most likely cook a turkey with all the trimmings. My cats love turkey & i have a 84 yr old neighbor i might give a plate too even though shes kinda mean.

I have in the past (yrs ago) voluntered at shelters & i got treated like **** by a few of the long time volunteers. They were old bats that were just damn mean & wanted to run the entire show. They said i was too slow in serving the food & i spent too much time talking to people. I dropped what i was doing & went home.

F THEM !
My point---they don't want or need a bunch of do-gooders there looking for "those less fortunate" to stare and gawk at. Every year I read how we're supposed to trot to the local shelters to spread our love and cheer with "those less fortunate". When you think about it, isn;t that "gloating"? Hi, I'm not here because I'm homeless, peniless, I just wanted to stare at you! BTW, I'll take some of that turkey, long as I'm here, so, what does it feel like to be down and out? don't you feel better now, talking to me, I still have a job, home, all that goes in with it? After this nice meal, I will go back to my nice, warm house while you go crawl back to whatever makeshift shelter you have, I know your day was enriched by chatting with me!

Come on, does anyone really do that, go to shelters to stare at "those less fortunate" thus making everyone's holiday brighter

Old 11-09-2010, 01:24 PM

10,228 posts, read 16,384,756 times
It will be at our house and will include the elder neighbor and his girlfriend, a nephew and possibly his girlfriend, and maybe a niece. What will be different this year is that we'll have ham instead of turkey. Almost nobody in this group cares for turkey, and even I don't like it as well as I used to. For deserts, Costco pumpkin and pecan pies.

If we provide a Christmas dinner (likely for the same group) it will likely be prime rib. For desert I know I will have Peppermint Ice Cream!

Old 11-09-2010, 02:38 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,114,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Enough with the idea to volunteer at a shelter!

Is that what you want, looking at those so down and out they are probably homeless or close to it? Such a thrill!

And just where are these marvelous shelters? Usually in the worse parts of town, many are so bad even the homeless refuse to go there. Just how do you plan to get back and forth, drive your car, park it there, risk it getting stolen?

The idea is, some people don't have people to spend the holidays with. So, they seek out "people" at shelters, etc. Hardly fits. I had a few Thanksgivings I couldn't make it home, spent the day cleaning out closets, etc, enjoyed my free time. Its not like must have big doings or die!

WHAT? Are you serious.
Its people like you who cant try and make this world a better place. Yes I say go volunteer no matter where the shelter is. Who knows who lives you may touch. Just because someone is poor or lives in a bad neighborhood doesnt mean that they cant be shown compassion.
I feel so sorry for your lack of compassion.
Your post was one of the most unloving one I'v ever came across.
I hope those with compassion ignore it.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:43 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,114,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post

F THEM !

Just because they were rude to you doesnt mean every other place they need volunteers do that.
And people who give up on volunteering just because of a certain incident are rude too..They take their bad experiences out on those who need them..

Old 11-09-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgirl27 View Post
WHAT? Are you serious.
Its people like you who cant try and make this world a better place. Yes I say go volunteer no matter where the shelter is. Who knows who lives you may touch. Just because someone is poor or lives in a bad neighborhood doesnt mean that they cant be shown compassion.
I feel so sorry for your lack of compassion.
Your post was one of the most unloving one I'v ever came across.
I hope those with compassion ignore it.

Its not a matter of compassion, its what are you doing to help, anyways? Just what do you think you're doing, handing out turkey plates? Staring at the down and out? That's not compassion, that's gawking at the poor. They will get their meal served regardless of whether you're there or not. Do you plan to eat while there, too, thus taking away what little they have?

If "compassion" is your thing, do like I do and donate to shelters, food banks, etc, then leave them in dignity to enjoy what they can, you're the one lacking compassion, you just want to be entertained by the poor being "grateful"---go rent a Dickens movie instead!

Old 11-09-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgirl27 View Post
Just because they were rude to you doesnt mean every other place they need volunteers do that.
And people who give up on volunteering just because of a certain incident are rude too..They take their bad experiences out on those who need them..

Yeah, maybe the next place you volunteer at everyone will jump up and down and say oh, thank you, kind sir, please, sir, may I have more?

Hey, they are people, not characters in a Dickens movie there to stroke your ego, oh, the kind, generous soul, sharing your dinner with them..............donate some money, food items, then let them be with what dignity they have left!

Old 11-09-2010, 09:54 PM

23,491 posts, read 29,418,702 times
Since I'm the only one that left the family circle and moved 1600 miles away, I don't miss family gatherings at all. I'd much rather spend more quality time with each individually. My niece is coming out to join me on a 4-5 day trip to Utah in the Spring, much more quality time spent, one by one.

Las Vegas is such a transient city, with many of us in the same boat, greatly distanced from relatives, I'm always getting invites from similar people on the holidays. My roommate has no family here either and he always has plenty of invites for the holidays as well.

And if you choose to spend it alone, it's great city to do that in, as you can go to the Strip, and quickly forget it's Thanksgiving or Xmas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics