Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 09:06 AM

570 posts, read 1,154,029 times

Advertisements

It's been reported that half of Orlando is loyal to the nfl team of their choice and the other half turned into Broncos fans on draft day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 01:29 PM

6 posts, read 12,479 times
My husband and I are currently living in MN and are true Viking fans. But if all goes well we will be moving to the Orlando area. Probably next year. Currently my husband mentioned moving to Jacksonville because of the Jaguars. So if they move to Orlando it would be all the more better.

Old 10-04-2010, 02:32 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,056,134 times
There are more Dolphins fans in Orlando than any other NFL team from what I see. I don't see any more Bucs or Jags fans than I do teams from the northeast.

Last edited by Pete C; 10-04-2010 at 02:52 PM..

Old 10-05-2010, 02:14 AM

66 posts, read 207,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
There are more Dolphins fans in Orlando than any other NFL team from what I see. I don't see any more Bucs or Jags fans than I do teams from the northeast.
Thats right, Dolphins fan right here.... But all that aside, I agree that the Citrus Bowl is not and may never be NFL Spec without some serious renovation, the likes of which would be cost comparable to building a new stadium.

However Pete you are mistaken in your comment a while back that this metro includes Lakeland and Cocoa, thats incorrect. This metro consists of Orlando, Kissimmee, and Deland, and between those it was estimated in 2007 to have 1.8 million. However the region supports over 2.4 million and within favorable distance to Orlando as opposed to Jacksonville, Miami, or Tampa. (Save of course Daytona which is the halfway point to Jax.)

The Parramore issue is really a non issue, considering that the new Downtown plan calls for the area between the new Amway and the Citrus Bowl to be revitalized and more walkable, and the old Amway to be demolished in favor of "Creative City". While I cannot attest to exactly how walkable some of those streets could ever be, I can say that a revitalization of the area, as intended could promote the construction of a new stadium in the place of the Citrus Bowl. It would appear to me that the city is trying to expand the "Downtown" area across I-4 into Parramore by making it lucrative to develope the area.

Mind you Orlando has tried to host international sporting events which could draw millions into the local economy, however they've been consistently turned down due to the lack of proper establishments. A new stadium for the Jags in Orlando also means a more suitable stadium for International sporting events.

It would appear to me that while the transient situation has eased a little bit, it is still a dominating issue. However the advent of commuter rail, light rail, and the Downtown initaitive would lead me to believe that an NFL team in Orlando could serve a major demographic. It all remains to be seen and as some mentioned before, it could result in a total flop with billions of dollars wasted.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:07 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,343,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhernandez48 View Post
It all remains to be seen and as some mentioned before, it could result in a total flop with billions of dollars wasted.
It couldn't be any worse than the current situation in Jax. It be a shame to see them leave but it's obvious the community just can not support a team at this time. I think it's just too small of a metro area. Although this discussion is interesting the reality is the Jags will likely be relocated to LA.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:54 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,199,647 times
Jacksonville's attendance per game is higher than Tampa's

2010 NFL Football Attendance - National Football League - ESPN

Old 10-05-2010, 12:06 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,056,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhernandez48 View Post
Thats right, Dolphins fan right here.... But all that aside, I agree that the Citrus Bowl is not and may never be NFL Spec without some serious renovation, the likes of which would be cost comparable to building a new stadium.

However Pete you are mistaken in your comment a while back that this metro includes Lakeland and Cocoa, thats incorrect. This metro consists of Orlando, Kissimmee, and Deland, and between those it was estimated in 2007 to have 1.8 million. However the region supports over 2.4 million and within favorable distance to Orlando as opposed to Jacksonville, Miami, or Tampa. (Save of course Daytona which is the halfway point to Jax.)

The Parramore issue is really a non issue, considering that the new Downtown plan calls for the area between the new Amway and the Citrus Bowl to be revitalized and more walkable, and the old Amway to be demolished in favor of "Creative City". While I cannot attest to exactly how walkable some of those streets could ever be, I can say that a revitalization of the area, as intended could promote the construction of a new stadium in the place of the Citrus Bowl. It would appear to me that the city is trying to expand the "Downtown" area across I-4 into Parramore by making it lucrative to develope the area.

Mind you Orlando has tried to host international sporting events which could draw millions into the local economy, however they've been consistently turned down due to the lack of proper establishments. A new stadium for the Jags in Orlando also means a more suitable stadium for International sporting events.

It would appear to me that while the transient situation has eased a little bit, it is still a dominating issue. However the advent of commuter rail, light rail, and the Downtown initaitive would lead me to believe that an NFL team in Orlando could serve a major demographic. It all remains to be seen and as some mentioned before, it could result in a total flop with billions of dollars wasted.
Actually, it was rogercobb that said that.

Anyway, as for the rest of your points, I agree the stadium is beyond repair for NFL use or any sort of international event. It is covered with mold and just looks hideous. I would rather see some sort of new sports venue where the old Amway/Bob Carr is so we could attract large sporting events or possibly a pro franchise. On a side note I'd love to see Orlando try to get a major annual tennis event at the Amway Center.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
Actually, it was rogercobb that said that.

Anyway, as for the rest of your points, I agree the stadium is beyond repair for NFL use or any sort of international event. It is covered with mold and just looks hideous. I would rather see some sort of new sports venue where the old Amway/Bob Carr is so we could attract large sporting events or possibly a pro franchise. On a side note I'd love to see Orlando try to get a major annual tennis event at the Amway Center.

My mistake Pete, I must have misread the username. Tennis would deffinetly draw large crowds in the area (relative to tennis). And while it seems like a good idea to use the old Amway space for a new (possibly very lucrative) events center, the area has already been in the developing stages as a commercial center dubbed "Creative Village" basically what I was reffering to as an extension of downtown.

I wanted to post some links to Mayor Dyers Downtown Initiative but I couldn't find them. Im sure theyre burried somewhere at cityoforlando.net and they had alot of information (text, pictures, conceptions) of how they would develope the area West of I-4

Old 10-07-2010, 06:38 PM

56 posts, read 168,723 times
Football crazy, huh? UCF can't fill up a 40,000 seat stadium if they give tickets away. Last night, case in point.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativefla View Post
Football crazy, huh? UCF can't fill up a 40,000 seat stadium if they give tickets away. Last night, case in point.
Thats because UCF football sucks, the only reason the parking lots are filled to the bursting is because of the tailgating. College ball in general is boring, nothing compares to Pro Football.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando